Begging on Trains

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Re: Begging on Trains

Post by alywin »

Eagle wrote:Must be honest most noticed on Penge East trains.

I wonder if she had a ticket ????
On the basis that you don't need to go through a ticket gate for most Southeastern stations, I should think. I've noticed people going through and putting things on seats, but they usually come back about a minute later and pick them all up again, before I've even bothered to lift my eyes from my book and see what's happening. A bit pointless, if you ask me.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that standard begging was meant, and that's been going on for years and years, especially on the Vic-Orpington route. Don't remember seeing much on the LBG-SYD routes, now I come to think of it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

More on South Eastern . Guess easier to board because of few gates.

It is begging or at very best peddling without a licence.
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Same formula in operation on the Overground from Sydenham to Canada Water on Sunday. Chap came round leaving a small packet of tissues and a note asking for 'some money' to help feed his wife and two children. I couldn't help thinking that the absence of any minimum price for the goods meant they were probably stolen, but perhaps I'm being uncharitable in more ways than one.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why are you being uncharitable. I do not think so.

It is disgusting how this type of begging and unsolicited peddling has moved into Britain.