fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Re: fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

Post by admin »

Youth Community Meeting

Wednesday 11th June @ 6-7pm
At the The New Generation Youth and Community Centre

Police will be there to answer your questions and discuss your concerns around the incident that occurred on Wells Park Road on Saturday 31st May

Please contact the Homicide and Serious Crime Command on 0208 721 4868 or your
Safer Neighbourhoods Team on
0208 649 3598 with any information
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 which is free.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So sad, and would not have happened if randon stop and search I suspect.

I would guess he will only get say 30 years , which means will be out in 15. However guess will make a few mail bags.
marymck

Post by marymck »

admin wrote:Youth Community Meeting

Wednesday 11th June @ 6-7pm
At the The New Generation Youth and Community Centre

Police will be there to answer your questions and discuss your concerns around the incident that occurred on Wells Park Road on Saturday 31st May

Please contact the Homicide and Serious Crime Command on 0208 721 4868 or your
Safer Neighbourhoods Team on
0208 649 3598 with any information
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 which is free.
Regrettably I shan't be able to attend. I'd be very grateful if somebody could please post a summary.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

marymck wrote:
Regrettably I shan't be able to attend. I'd be very grateful if somebody could please post a summary.
Maybe, Mary, we're too old for this sort of thing.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

The meeting was just an upodate of the situation regarding arrests, lack of co-operation by the local community due to massive police distrust. It was also revealed two friends of James were questioned about something and the Police carted them off to Lewisham assaulting them badly in the process, which peed off the local community even more. Fortunately the Borough Commander was there and said that the 2 officers concerned were removed from front line policing. More input was given from some of the local youths who put their point across well about trust issues, some of which were allayed by the officer from Trident who came along to mention certain ideas about reporting anonymously.

A local community group might start up if we can get some funding from various sources.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

The meeting was just an upodate of the situation regarding arrests, lack of co-operation by the local community due to massive police distrust. It was also revealed two friends of James were questioned about something and the Police carted them off to Lewisham assaulting them badly in the process, which peed off the local community even more. Fortunately the Borough Commander was there and said that the 2 officers concerned were removed from front line policing. More input was given from some of the local youths who put their point across well about trust issues, some of which were allayed by the officer from Trident who came along to mention certain ideas about reporting anonymously.

A local community group might start up if we can get some funding from various sources.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

We often here the word Community spoken and written .

For instance Black or Polish community. Surely an insult to think everyone thinks the same.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:We often here the word Community spoken and written .

For instance Black or Polish community. Surely an insult to think everyone thinks the same.
What are you wittering about? :roll:
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:The meeting was just an upodate of the situation regarding arrests, lack of co-operation by the local community due to massive police distrust. It was also revealed two friends of James were questioned about something and the Police carted them off to Lewisham assaulting them badly in the process, which peed off the local community even more. Fortunately the Borough Commander was there and said that the 2 officers concerned were removed from front line policing. More input was given from some of the local youths who put their point across well about trust issues, some of which were allayed by the officer from Trident who came along to mention certain ideas about reporting anonymously.

Was there any discussion about how the community may have failed? There seems to be, from what you say, a lot of anxiety about the police's role, but I'm not wrong in saying that an 18 year old boy was stabbed to death - and that has nothing to do with the police.

If the community has a problem with the police they are doing an appalling job of policing themselves. Murdering children in the street is f*cking barbaric.
Our community failed because of mis-perceptions on various sides, lack of support, lack of care, lack of community spirit. all the stuff we had before the dreadful 1980s...

Hopefully a new community group can start and be a template for communities to take on board BEFORE another person is murdered. Now that would be a legacy. Anyway I've got to bang some heads together regarding the way forward.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: Where I part company with the liberal consensus is that I don't think understanding and resources alone can over-ride it - some people prefer the respect of their peers to the respect of society, and if that respect is gained with a knife then I think they should get a very long time in prison.
I do not think that trying to understand the social and economic background to this sort of crime, and to find ways of changing it for the better, is incompatible with a belief that the individual perpetrators should be properly punished.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:Our community failed because of mis-perceptions on various sides, lack of support, lack of care, lack of community spirit. all the stuff we had before the dreadful 1980s...
You also have to remember that an idiot with a knife is responsible for this. For all the talk of everyone being victims, there are kids out there that through vanity, stupidity and downright malice want the kudos that goes with being part of gang culture. I am fully prepared to believe that some get dragged in, but it surely cannot apply to all of them.

I am very interested to hear what the reason for this murder is - I don't think that we, as a society condemn these kind of brutal street crimes as much as we should. There is evidently some kind of street justice going on. Where I part company with the liberal consensus is that I don't think understanding and resources alone can over-ride it - some people prefer the respect of their peers to the respect of society, and if that respect is gained with a knife then I think they should get a very long time in prison.
The murder of James Hunter wasn't a planned one becuase he randomly stepped into stop a fight. It wasnt gang related and those charged are from Catford/South Norwood. I agree as does most of the local community. Ifeel it is best we try something rather than sit on our hands hoping the problem will go away.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: We are not doing the same with Ian Watkins, the rock star paedophile, for example, we are not talking about how society is partly responsible and society needs to improve. So why here? When Mick Philpott sets his own house on fire we don't look at society. So why here?
The crimes committed by Ian Watkins and Mick Philpott , although horrible, were unusual. And both were people with some sort of very pronounced personality disorder. Philpott has been recognised as a psychopath and an exhibitionist. I suspect Watkins too is a psychopath, as well as having spectacularly disordered sexual instincts. So looking at the social context for their particular crimes may not be very helpful in trying to make it less likely that other such crimes will be committed in future.

Young men stabbing each other is different. It is much more common, and those who do it, although I suspect many of them may have personality problems of one sort or another, are much more 'normal.' Therefore it is reasonable to look for explanations for the high incidence of these crimes in other areas than that of individual psychology, e. g in social, cultural or economic factors.

To avoid being misunderstood, I stress again that I am not saying that people who commit horrible crimes should not receive appropriate punishment.

Both/and, not either/or.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: I mean we never look at the social, cultural or economic factors behind armed robbery? We never do - we just put it down to outlaws.
We may not, but I suspect criminologists do.

To hazard an amateur guess, perhaps armed robbery can be explained largely in economic terms. You calculate the likely benefits (getting rich quickly and easily) and compare them with the risks (getting caught and going to prison.) A bit like gamblers or people who speculate on the financial markets.