THE HIGH STREET FUND

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

THE HIGH STREET FUND

Post by leenewham »

This is why I made the other post 'Vibrant High Street'. I was at the launch of this the other day at City Hall. There is a brief outline of it below but there is a link to the full prospectus online at the bottom.

The Mayor of London’s High Street Fund, of up to £9m, will help the Mayor achieve the ambition set out in Action for High Streets – for London’s high streets to become even better places to visit, to live in and to do business in.
It’s the latest in a series of funding rounds, which started in 2011 with Round One of the Outer London Fund, aimed specifically at helping London’s high streets to grow and become more vibrant*.

Who can apply?
The fund is open to proposals from boroughs, sub-regional partnerships, town teams and business improvement districts, community groups and charities within London that wish to lead the regeneration
of their local high street. Local authorities should
be integral to all partnerships although may not necessarily lead a bid or fundable activity.
However, certain eligibility criteria apply:
* Your organisation must be able to enter into legal contracts or must partner with one that can. We prefer that all proposals come from partnerships and have the local authority’s endorsement. However, only bids over £20,000 must have
the agreement of a local authority to act as the accountable body.
* Grants will not be available to fund ‘business as usual’ activities.
* Lead organisations must be able to demonstrate the capacity and ability to deliver.
* We reserve the right to audit any invoices in relation to funds provided and will require evidence that they have been spent as proposed.

* If you’re a non-borough organisation you can apply for up to £20,000 to deliver discrete projects that improve your local high street and its surroundings.

* Partnerships between town teams, BIDs and local authorities can apply for funding (up to £200,000).

* Boroughs are not excluded from submitting projects requiring smaller amounts of funding, but they can also apply for up to £2,000,000 for comprehensive, coordinated and proactive re-shaping and diversification efforts.

READ MORE HERE:

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... pectus.pdf

* I told you so! It's that word again. Vibrant!
Pally

Re: THE HIGH STREET FUND

Post by Pally »

This sounds so exciting and loads of potential to up the momentum in Sydenham. Presumably SEE3 can apply or does it need a different "group" to do so?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

See3 can apply, a traders group could apply, the arts festival could apply, but only for funds up to 20k.

Bids for more money have to be backed up by other bodies or the local authority.

More details and links for other stuff here:
https://www.facebook.com/WhatIfHighStreets

Link to the 20k pots of funding here:
http://spacehive.com/initiatives/mayoroflondon
Billie

Post by Billie »

I'd be happy to get involved in an application.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

leenewham wrote: * I told you so! It's that word again. Vibrant!
I always thought 'vibrant' was code for 'ethnically diverse'.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote:
leenewham wrote: * I told you so! It's that word again. Vibrant!
I always thought 'vibrant' was code for 'ethnically diverse'.
I wonder if that linguistic point would be better made in another place?

OTOH, it's along the lines of something I wrote a while back, which not everyone was happy with :)
Tim Lund wrote: Well said, Voyageur and G-Man. 'Ethnic' stores are the vibrant future of HIgh Streets across London. What makes a store 'ethnic'? That the people working there aren't white European? I think that makes the decent shops G-Man mentions - PFC, Fresh n Fruity, Billings - ethnic. The difference is that a good number of white Europeans like me shop there - and more of us will as we get to know them, and they market themselves. That's what I was thinking of in the thread "Support your local Turkish Supermarket", suggesting they get someone to tell us more about how to use what they sell.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Can we keep this post one post on track?

I agree with Tim actually, that the future of some high street is a diverse offer of food, although I don't think it's just about being ethnic. It's about offering choice of food and service and experience that you can't get online or in large box stores like Tesco.

The bring it back to the original post, one of the criteria for the High Street Fund (among others was along the lines of diversity):

"Diverse high streets
Give people more reasons to visit and spend time there, where every opportunity is taken to introduce new uses in and around the high street and where unoccupied properties find a new lease of life as workspace, crèches or cafés, where more culture and leisure activities and town centre housing create broader appeal and attract more people."