Anyone remember catford dog track?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Anyone remember catford dog track?

Post by simon »

This post is unconnected to any other thread, or any current local issues.

When the track closed in 2005 it was bought by developers for residential. The Twentieth Century Society applied to have the Tote Board listed as it was a fine example of early 20th century electro mechnaical engineering and was the only surviving UK example of the work of engineer George Julius. A wee before the listing application was going to be heard the tote board was burnt down. Police said arson was the likely cause, but nobody was ever arrested. The building stood for eighty years but only caught fire when the site was empty and there was no power connected.

http://www.c20society.org.uk/docs/press ... tford.html
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I didn't know about that; thanks for the info, Simon! I think there's some other old relics lurking around in Catford Rec. AKA Ladywell Fields; did you know about the excavations there? They've probably finished them now, but I caught them in action 2-3 weeks before their scheduled completion, and they (Fergal) hadn't found anything by then. As I write this I'd imagine another company has already begun the construction of the additional channel of the River Ravensbourne, hence the excavations; does anyone know if they did manage to eventually find anything since the day I took these photos (21-Aug-07)?
P.S. It's a shame there's no forum for Lewisham or Bromley.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I had part of my stag at Catford dogs, and then to the EDT for comedy night. Beats Vegas any day.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Last time I went it was free entrance, a free meal, a free pint and a free fiver bet. I still left 50 quid lighter and drunk. Oh, and then someone tried to set fire to me on the 202 bus home.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

nork1 wrote: Oh, and then someone tried to set fire to me on the 202 bus home.
Any connection here with Simons posting? :roll:
simon

Post by simon »

Seems pertinent to bring this up now, considering recent local events, not that they are connected in anyway.
michael_a

Post by michael_a »

simon wrote:Seems pertinent to bring this up now, considering recent local events, not that they are connected in anyway.
Didn't they race Greyhounds here? I see a connection :?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Dog racing in Catford.

HAHAH!!