Packing and removals service

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Kirkdalian

Packing and removals service

Post by Kirkdalian »

Please can anyone recommend a local packing and removal service who will do a move to Hertfordshire for a reasonable price? I need a full packing service, enough to worry about with getting toddler, bump, husband and a tank of tropical fish to the new place in one piece!
Mayowthorpe

Re: Packing and removals service

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I have used Harradines on a number of occasions.

They are very professional and reliable, and all bits have always made it to their destination in one piece.

I found their prices reasonable as well:

http://www.harradines.co.uk/

Good luck with the move!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Pickfords are very good. We had them move us paid for by our employer. Very expensive though - when we moved and had to pay ourselves we chose a local, cheaper company. Who thoroughly dissapointed me, one chap taking tins from the cupboards and then another telling me he wouldn't take the rest because 'they didn't move foodstuffs' I think the rule meant fresh veg and the like, not tins of beans. He just didn't want to put them in the van. I can't remember the name or else I would say who they were.
If you're not planning to move again for a while I think its worth paying the extra, it worked out about £400 extra but spread over 15 years, and taking into account what you have to pay overall in selling and legal fees its not that much for the thoroughly professional job Pickfords do; they wrap everything and will unpack at the other end too.
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

One firm not to use is Coppards. They broke quite a few things belonging to my ex when she moved to Croydon including a big Venetian style mirrir they said it wasnt packed poperly though it was wrapped in miles of carboard and bubble wrap. Tthey lost a case of boooks they were rude and lazy and stroppy and wen she complained they pretty much called her a liar.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I can't help re a removal firm but ask about the fish tank (and fish!), at Clifton Aquatics - link here, they're a couple of doors up from Lidl: http://www.yell.com/biz/clifton-aquatic ... n-8117190/ They will probably sell you strong plastic bags to put fishes in (the bags you will sit closely together in a suitable carton for stability and thus avoiding swishing and buffeting) and they should show how you tie them to keep oxygen at the top. Also to save at least some of the water (possibly), BUT don't drain then wash the gravel as it has the necessary ecological bacteria around it to help environmentalise(?) fresh water added later.

See? Transporting fish is little different from how you transport your bump ;) Best wishes that all goes well and all arrive well. Anything that I'd lose sleep over if broken I've carried in the car. I did come a cropper when I managed to drop a treasured possession taking it out of the boot, doh, but hey,worse things happen at sea (as we say).

Enjoy your new home :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

Cases in Beckenham Road are excellent. Can't fault them and so friendly and helpful. Reasonable rates too
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Thanks everyone for all these recommendations; I will get busy ringing round. We can't afford anyone super-expensive as we have to move twice... We're moving into a rental until we find somewhere to buy as our purchase fell apart and I couldn't face going back to the beginning and not moving. Not that I don't love Sydenham, but I don't love the house prices that are keeping us in a flat!

We do use Clifton Aquatics and will go to them for advice. I think we will wash approximately half the gravel, as it is a bit overdue and there's probably enough bacteria to acclimatise new water in just half :oops:
Pally

Post by Pally »

Pally wrote:Cases in Beckenham Road are excellent. Can't fault them and so friendly and helpful. Reasonable rates too
Sorry its meant to say "Caseys "
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I have used Coppards for every move over the years, never had an issue. Helpful, reliable and did over and above.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

http://www.uptownremovals.co.uk/index.shtml

A family business based in Beckenham, unlike some of the bigger firms he was totally up front and honest with the price. What he quoted was what I paid. This is in contrast to some of the bigger companies who were very good at handing out slick promotional brochures but when questioned about their quotes seemed to add compulsory 'optional' extra charges or email me a price that was way over what was given at the survey.

My move was on a Monday, I paid for the full packing service and the packing was done on the Sunday afternoon. Everything arrived in one piece, I would use them again without hesitation.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Yes, Casey's seem pretty reasonable.

Sorry about your sale - if you do have to put things into storage while you rent, though, I'd very much recommend doing it through a removals company rather than one of those 24/7 self-store places. It can work out very expensive, especially if it takes you a lot longer to do your final move than you originally thought.
russstephens888

Post by russstephens888 »

We used Roberts and Denny's here https://www.robertsanddennys.co.uk/remo ... th-london/ and they were very professional and charged a good price compared to some others in London. I highly recommend them as they are one of the top removal companies in London :D
simon

Post by simon »

Another vote for Caseys here