Lewisham Vs Princess Royal Hospital for maternity

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
randomv

Lewisham Vs Princess Royal Hospital for maternity

Post by randomv »

Hi

Was wondering if anybody has experience, good or bad, of these two hospitals for antenatal care / delivery?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated!

Thx
poppy

maternity services

Post by poppy »

I recommend checking out Birth Choice UK website(http://www.birthchoiceuk.com/) and looking at this recent story http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/ ... health.nhs
It is good that you are doing some research. I didn't as I naively thought everything would be ok and totally underestimated the impact of the people around you and your environment during labour. Had a bad time at Lewisham and having a home birth or using Kings next time.
Also recommend NCT(http://www.nct.org.uk/home) for more labour advice and antenatal courses.
Good luck!
randomv

Post by randomv »

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time at Lewisham. I'm not sure if Kings is an option for me as I come under Bromley PCT - I wasn't even given a choice but made a point of asking if I could go to Lewisham over PRU)

I'm printing out the reports and will study them and anything else I can find tonight before making my choice. My partner seems to think the Princess Royal should be good as it's in a nice area...but Bromley is one off the bottom 10 Health Trusts for Maternity Care according to the recent report!

It's pretty depressing to think that they're both probably a bit rubbish and the only deciding factor for me wil be distance - Lewisham it is then!
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

I had both my children at Lewisham Hospital and both times I was more than happy with the treatment I received. I have to admit that both my experiences were unusually quick and I was not in there for the any time before the children were born but when I arrived at hospital in the advanced stages of labour i found the staff attentive and caring. I will admit that the midwives were extremley busy. but the same person stayed with me throughout the final stages and I was quickly looked after afterward and offered food/drink. If i were to have a third child I would not hesitate about returning.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I had my second child at Lewisham - I'm glad it wasn't my first time! Compared to Guys, it was second rate but I knew what to expect....

Make sure you read up about stages of labour beforehand, as I had to ask to be examined as I was left for 20 mins, (mix up with blood tests, etc.) when I knew I should be pushing.

There is a "Home Room" which is a delivery room without intervention which I found more relaxing than staying in the labour ward. (Although there was no hot water when I had a shower afterwards!).

What is worrying is the number of emergency caesareans performed there. Stick to your Birth Plan and stand your ground is this is not what you want!

I'm a big supporter of Lewisham Hospital and found the (permanent) staff brilliant. The children's surgical and medical wards are top rate, however. Also the separate A&E for children.

It will be interesting to hear the results for the new plans set out in the recent questionnaire.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

We had a bad experience at Lewisham.

When we arrived there, my wife was in the advanced stages of labour, but they didnt beleive her, and they made her stand on the scales to be weighed (after finishing the conversation they were having). We were then directed into the labour ward, where we were left for about 20 minutes, and no one came to see us. After half an hour or so, one of the midwives came in, and my wife was already dilated, and the midwife knew that she had made a mistake.

Once she started pushing, the whole thing was over in half an hour, but it made us realise what a fantastic service we had received for our first child - who was born in Guy's.
poppy

maternity services

Post by poppy »

Randomv, I think you can have your baby where ever you choose. I'm pretty sure I could have chosen Guys if I had wanted to for this baby, but it seems a bit too far for me.

I know home births sound scary, esp for your first one, but it might be worth looking into and your local surgery should be able to offer you a home birth if you really want one. The most experienced midwives tend to be involved in this and these are who you really need!

Also, from my many friends who have had babies in the past few years, the ones who had a water birth seemed to have great experiences, you tend to get the most experienced midwives doing this too, and this is what you need.

And I agree with an earlier poster to stand your ground regarding your birth plan. It is difficult while you are in labour for the first time for you and your birth partner to assert yourselves, but I would really implore you to have at the front of your minds that if you are not happy with something make it very clear to those around you, even if you are not happy with the midwife who is supposed to be looking after you.

A good midwife should be able to leave you to it quite a bit, although they should be encouraging you and reassuring you that everything is ok (as this is often best if things are going as they should) and be able to tell from your repsonses to the contractions what stage you are at.

Also, although I know one person who had an epidural and went on to have a normal birth, but please remember your chances of having a c-section or other intervention are greatly increased and these carry big risks. No matter how tempting it is. Getting through the pain without this, not matter how bad it seems at the time, will mean you will recover more quickly, both emotionally and physically, to enable you to do what you really want to do, look after your baby.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Absolutely agree with Poppy.......

I have met a couple of friendly home birth midwives recently who cover this area and they have 20 years+ experience. I wish I had had a home birth with my second, (I was asked 3 times to consider it), but glad I was in hospital for my first as my daughter needed resuscitating.

The best piece of advice I was given was to treat yourself to a new set of towels (in a dark colour!) and take them into hospital. Even if the conditions are poor, it'll at least cheer you up after that cold shower!
randomv

Post by randomv »

Thanks for all the replies and advice - it really is appreciated.

Terrified of SE26!!
kster

Post by kster »

We had our 2 in Lewisham, and I think it is worth bearing in mind that whilst this is one of the most exciting things to happen to you and one of the most important days of your life etc, to the people in the hospital it is just another day in the office. They are all under pressure and usually short staffed, working to their priorities and not yours. Unfortunately it is the job of the birthing partner to get stroppy and insist on getting what you want. Obviously I don’t suggest that you go against the advice of a doctor, but don’t get fobbed off with something that you are not happy with. If you want something and your partner insists, then you will probably get it – but (s)he may need to argue your case, and not be afraid of doing so. As the mother, all you should be doing is trying to relax as much as possible and not worry about anything (easier said than done…).

It is worth getting things into perspective, I don’t doubt the ability of the doctors or the senior midwives, and whilst you might not be guaranteed the best birthing experience in Europe, you're going to be in safe hands - and the key thing is not to be "Terrified of SE26"
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

We had our baby at Lewisham last summer and I can't praise the staff enough - they were fantastic.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

We've had one child at Lewisham Hospital and one at home in the care of the Lewisham Community Midwives. The biggest problem with Lewisham Hospital in our experience was the aftercare - the staff were flat-out rude and uninterested. The actual Labour ward was okay, though.

The home birth was great because it completely cut out the aftercare problem. I'd recommend it if it's an option for you.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

The Princess Royal Hospital got some pretty poor coverage yesterday - report here:http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/ ... health.nhs
amalho

Post by amalho »

DO NOT GO TO LEWISHAM if u have any care for your well being... had my 2 children there and, thought i'd give it a second chance with my second baby who is now 6 months but, it wasnt just that i had a bad experience with the first child, they are always that bad! The midwifes have very little time or concern to find out how ur feeling and although the first few times u think maybe the nhs is just so overloaded and u emphatically decide to tolerate ur midwife because she may be overworked, 9 months is a long time to have ur health neglected... i cried everyday of my pregnancy for 8and a half months because of severe pain from symphisis pubis dysfunction only to be allowed to see the doctor who then told me i cant feel so bad because i walked into the room when most womens go in a wheelchair... and i thought u'd have to see a doctor first... silly me?
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

It depends on your Drs - if you are at Sydenham Green you can do Lewisham or Kings. Then if you live in LBB (like I do) then you can ask for PRU.

I had baby no 1 at PRU as I was with a doctors in Penge so I had no choice - Emergency C-Section - Gutted! For baby number 2 I did more research on c-section rates..... Lewisham was 40%, PRU 28% and Kings 22% so I went for Kings. Had a fantastic water birth and got to go home a few hours later. Didn't see the post natal ward but I think they are all as bad as each other as they are so stretched.

My advice... do NCT ante natal classes, write a fantastic birth plan, research lots and be strong! You will be fine.
poppy

Lewisham maternity

Post by poppy »

Also, whichever hospital you go to make sure the midwife at the birth actually discusses your birth plan with you or at least indicates she/he has read it.