BARRIERS AT SYDENHAM STATION

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
reality Czech

BARRIERS AT SYDENHAM STATION

Post by reality Czech »

As i'm sure many of you are aware, the entrance to Sydenham station platform 2 has been enlarged to presumably accomodate barriers.
Does anyone know when they will be installed?[/b]
sean

Post by sean »

Before the end of March.
Jules

Post by Jules »

will barriers be installed by the entrance at platform one?
if not, does this mean that gate will be locked?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I would be very supprised if that gate ever opened again after the barriers are installed
poppy

barriers

Post by poppy »

If they closed the gate at platform one all of us parents with pushchairs will be very disappointed I am sure. Having to negotiate two sets of stairs will be very, very difficult.

We go into town a lot and have really appreciated the street access. I have also seen parents on the platform with buggies in the morning on my way to work so some people must drop their kids off on the way!

Maybe the Sydenham Society could look in to it.

Don't some stations have an Oyster swipe at other locations, which means you don't necessarily have to use a barrier?
randomv

Post by randomv »

I'd be amazed if they can close that gate - it is essential for wheelchair access and I'm sure they will want the new ELL to be fully wheelchair friendly..
I had assumed they would have one or two oyster readers on platform 1 for swiping in and out. I hope so - don't fancy the extra walk!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

There will be Oyster Card readers at the entrance to both platforms 1 and platform 2 - so you will still be able to enter and leave the station from both platforms as you can at present.

I have just heard from Southern that the target date for having Oyster Card readers operational on this line is now January 2009 - i.e. January 2009 is the target date for when you will be able to use Oyster Cards to pay for a journey along this line. This date is still under discussion with TFL who've had to drag the Train Operating Companies into the Oyster scheme kicking and screaming. Let us hope that there will not be further delays.

Southern also intend to introduce a small cafe/buffet bar in the ticket office - in the place where the newsagent used to be. I have to say I like the idea of this. Perhaps Southern could be encouraged to place one or two tables on either side of the main entrance to the station in warmer weather.

I have arranged a meeting between the Sydenham Society, Southern officials and the new manager later this month and I will keep you informed of any developments. If people have any suggestions as to further improvements to the station please let me know and I'll take them up. (our main priority is to widen the "up" platform and introduce shelters).
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

There will be Oyster Card readers at the entrance to both platforms 1 and platform 2 - so you will still be able to enter and leave the station from both platforms as you can at present.
That's good news. The guy in the station newsagents had said that they only planned to install barriers on platform two and that there would only be access to platform one via the gate for wheelchair users using an intercom system. (perhaps it was wishful thinking - hoping for more footfall past his business?)

As well as more shelters, nasaroc, please can you ask for another indicator board further down platform one.

Thanks
umbrella

Post by umbrella »

our main priority is to widen the "up" platform and introduce shelters
That would be a big improvement if the platform could be widened, it can be fairly crowded on the platform, especialyl if the previous train's been cancelled/running late.
poppy

Sydenham station

Post by poppy »

The cafe/seating idea outside the station sounds good. Don't they have something like this at Denmark Hill?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Brockley station has been nicely landscaped and has a really excellent coffee stall inside the station on the platform under the bridge (the guy running it is really friendly and makes excellent well priced coffee, infact it even won an award recently and it looks good. Because it looks good it hasn't been attacked by taggers).

When the station exit at Brockley got landscaped it attracted a two delis and another small, local friendly brilliant coffee shop called The Broca.

Flower stalls always look good at stations. Unfortunately we got some marker pen on some paper which was stick to a wall with masking tape saying 'shop open' in Sydenham Station!
poppy

Sydenham station

Post by poppy »

I totally agree Lee about landscaping and if an area looks well looked after people tend to respect it.

The lower part of Sydenham Road (Bell Green) area is an extreme example of how an unloved area becomes even more unloved! It could look so much better.

Without wishing to offend people who live in that part of Sydenham, I find the walk down that end to Sydenham Green surgery pretty depressing. The buildings which have made an effort with landscaping look really good. Like the flats past Trewsbury road and the ones at the bottom of Champion road. Even Kwik Fit has made a good effort!

In fact I might start another thread on this because I feel it is so important...
Tasha

Post by Tasha »

nasaroc wrote:There will be Oyster Card readers at the entrance to both platforms 1 and platform 2 - so you will still be able to enter and leave the station from both platforms as you can at present.

I have just heard from Southern that the target date for having Oyster Card readers operational on this line is now January 2009 - i.e. January 2009 is the target date for when you will be able to use Oyster Cards to pay for a journey along this line. This date is still under discussion with TFL who've had to drag the Train Operating Companies into the Oyster scheme kicking and screaming. Let us hope that there will not be further delays.

Southern also intend to introduce a small cafe/buffet bar in the ticket office - in the place where the newsagent used to be. I have to say I like the idea of this. Perhaps Southern could be encouraged to place one or two tables on either side of the main entrance to the station in warmer weather.

I have arranged a meeting between the Sydenham Society, Southern officials and the new manager later this month and I will keep you informed of any developments. If people have any suggestions as to further improvements to the station please let me know and I'll take them up. (our main priority is to widen the "up" platform and introduce shelters).
I have a suggestion. Some form of fencing or solid structure for privacy for residents, and something to stop people urinating through the current railings, maybe an electrocuted fence.
reality Czech

Post by reality Czech »

Any news on when the barriers are being installed?