SCAMS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

syenhamboy

SCAMS

Post by syenhamboy » 29 Mar 2019 13:28

Fraudsters send fake Virgin Media emails threatening “automatic disconnection”

Action Fraud has received over 100 reports about fake emails that purport to be from Virgin Media. The emails threaten the recipient with “automatic disconnection” due to “invalid billing information”. The links in the emails lead to genuine-looking phishing websites that are designed to steal your Virgin Media account login details.

Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails, and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

For more information on how to stay secure online, visit www.cyberaware.gov.uk

JGD

Re: SCAMS

Post by JGD » 29 Mar 2019 14:18

I am receiving a new surge of semi-automate calls on my landline purportedly from BT.

An automated voice delivers a monotone message that reports that either my BT service is about to be cut off or my service has been compromised. It then invites you to press key #1 to speak to a technician.

Of course that #1 key must never be pressed. if it is you will be speaking to a criminal scammer who will do their best to convince you to hand over control to your pc or laptop. if they do gain access they will act in the most persuasive fashion to allow them to steal personal details and/or pay money direct to them to "fix" your problem.

It is insidious and is hate ridden, they will abuse you if they feel you are not co-operating with them. They are criminals. They deserve to go to jail.

Don't fall for it.