Freeview reception problems?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

alywin

Freeview reception problems?

Post by alywin » 8 Jul 2019 23:41

A couple of times recently, we've turned on the TV to find a message saying that there is no signal detected. We're in line-of-sight to the Crystal Palace transmitter. Is anyone else having the same problem, or is it just us?

angela53

Re: Freeview reception problems?

Post by angela53 » 9 Jul 2019 07:48

I have had similar recently so retuned the TV. The channels returned but some had moved to a different number

John H

Post by John H » 9 Jul 2019 09:53

There are lots of problems arising to the inappropriate choice of frequencies. While people upgraded their aerials to supposedly broadband ones few realised the downlead would present an issue. I have several sets in my house. On some it is possible to receive only some channels. There are lots of problems that can arise due to being so close to the main transmitter... don't let me bore you with the details... but look up "the Penge Effect" to see how this led to an interesting phenomenon in an earlier era.

If you do have problems and cannot see all the channels then it is time for a new aerial and downlead installation.

alywin

Post by alywin » 11 Jul 2019 11:29

Actually, I'm starting to wonder whether it doesn't like the HD recorder I've temporarily got plugged into it. I'll see if the problem persists into next week.

John H

Post by John H » 11 Jul 2019 22:45

If you are looping through the recorder that may well contribute to your problems BUT that does suggest downlead or even aerial issues.

alywin

Post by alywin » 18 Jul 2019 22:01

Picture's been horrendous (as in totally unwatchable/unlistenable) tonight on the BBC Channels, and I think London Live and Channel 4, less bad on More4. ITV seems unaffected. Is this generally the case, or is it just my TV?

mosy

Post by mosy » 19 Jul 2019 21:08

ITV is also transmitted by Crystal Palace so it's odd you can get that but not BBC channels.

Do you have an indoor aerial, i.e. set top? If so, do you have one of the flat panel ones as opposed to the metal ring or spiky array? Mine is a flat panel (I bought one with a longer lead to ensure it would reach a good spot) and also one for another room's TV and neither is having any problems.

Not much help. Have you asked your next door neighbours in case it's something very localised?

alywin

Post by alywin » 20 Jul 2019 22:35

I thought ITV was from a different transmitter?

Anyway, fingers crossed, it seems to be okay again, but I'll keep an eye on things. And yes, I do have an internal aerial - metal ring. Never had a problem with it in the past 6 years or so.