UPDATE on major gas works: Croydon Road, Beckenham
As you are aware, we are currently upgrading our gas network in Croydon Road, Beckenham. This essential work involves the replacement of old metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure we continue to provide a safe and reliable gas supply to the local area.
We have experienced some engineering difficulties on Phase Two of our project and now expect this phase to last approximately 10 days longer than originally stated.
As such, in consultation with Bromley Borough Council we have agreed to extend Phase Two by 10 days and expect to be complete by Wednesday 21 August. As we completed phase one a week early, barring any further complications we are still aiming to complete our project in six weeks as planned. Full details of our revised project plan are below;
Phase One – Croydon Road, junction with Elmers End Road
• This phase progressed well and was completed a week earlier than planned on Saturday 27 July
Phase Two – Croydon Road, between junction of Elmers End Road and Clock House Road
• Phase Two started on Monday 29 July, a week earlier than originally planned
• Our engineers moved location to the other side of the Elmers End Road junction from phase one and began working on the next section of Croydon Road
• We now expect this phase to last approximately three and a half weeks in total
• To ensure everyone’s safety we have temporarily closed the eastbound lane of Croydon Road across the Elmers End Road junction up to the junction of Clock House Road
• We have temporarily closed the southbound left-hand turn lane of Elmers End Road. Motorists will not be able to turn left from Elmers End Road onto Croydon Road during this phase
• Clock House Road will be temporarily closed at its junction with Croydon Road during this phase
• Elmers End Station Parade bus stop D remains suspended
Phase Three – Elmerside Road, junction with Croydon Road
• Following on from phase 2, our engineers will move away from the junction of Croydon Road and Elmers End Road to begin work on Elmerside Road at its junction with Croydon Road in the right-hand turn junction for approximately two weeks
• To allow us to complete our work safely we need to temporarily close the right-hand turn lane of Elmerside Road at the junction of Croydon Road. Motorists will not be able to turn right from Elmerside Road onto Croydon Road
• Signed diversions will be in place for diverted traffic
• The pedestrian crossing around our work area will also be suspended
Throughout all phases of our work signed diversions will be in place for motorists and pedestrian access will be maintained.
We have temporarily closed The Elmers End Tesco bus stand at St Margarets Road to buses/traffic. This will be closed throughout phases one and two of our works. Therefore no buses will stop or serve the stops at the bus stand. There will be a temporary bus stand at the Elmerside Green Roundabout but for full info regarding bus services, please check TfL website: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/.
Our engineers will be working extended hours Monday – Saturday between 8am and 6pm to minimise disruption.
We understand that people can get frustrated by roadworks. However, the new plastic pipe has a minimum lifespan of 80 years. This means that when the work is complete, Beckenham businesses and residents will continue to enjoy the benefits of a safe and reliable gas supply for years to come.
Full details including maps can be found in the project leaflet I sent previously, but please bear in mind the changes detailed in this update. You can also find more information about this project, and other works in your area, at Roadworks.org here: https://roadworks.org/?113553845
I apologise for any inconvenience these changes cause and would like to assure you that we’re doing everything we can to complete our work as quickly and safely as possible.
Please share this information with anyone you think may be impacted by our work.
I hope I have been able to reassure you of our commitment to deliver a safe project and keep you updated. If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Service team on 0800 912 1700.
Message Sent By
Dan Edwards (SGN, Incident Support, National)
The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
1 post • Page 1 of 1