Bin collection

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Bin collection

Post by syd »

Hi all I hope you had a great christmas and are covid free.

To my surprise my bins were emptied yesterday which was essentially boxing day and it makes absolutely no sense. Many people have left Sydenham so there is less waste and no urgency.

I want this nonsense to stop, our waste collectors have done an outstanding job during the pandemic and deserve to be treated better than this.

Let me know if you agree that this was an unnecessary collection. I’ll also be interested to know what Cllr Best thinks.

Cheers
Syd
chrisj1948

Re: Bin collection

Post by chrisj1948 »

I am used to the bins being collected at least a day late after public holidays, so I didn't bother putting mine out on its normally designated day. When I checked online that day to see if the delay was going to be 1 or 2 days I was horrified to see that normal collection times applied and my green bin overstuffed with Christmas packaging had missed the boat. I think maintaining normal collection times is actually a good thing for the residents, and missing one was entirely my own fault.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Ahh. The great xmas tradition "When is Bins?"
I always thought the bin collection at this time related to significant phases of the moon.
syd

Post by syd »

chrisj1948 wrote: 30 Dec 2021 10:35 I am used to the bins being collected at least a day late after public holidays, so I didn't bother putting mine out on its normally designated day. When I checked online that day to see if the delay was going to be 1 or 2 days I was horrified
Yes that is usually the case so Im curious why this happened in the middle of a pandemic, the waste collectors deserve a break.

I’ll do some investigating
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Meanwhile on a Lewisham Council estate just over the border from you (at edge of Thorpewood Avenue SE26 and Featherstone Avenue SE23 - to be precise, SE23 3YW Shackleton Close estate) an approx. 90 flat estate with a mix of Council tenants and private leaseholders/residents had to wait yet another 3 or 6 weeks or so more before their already overflowing recycling bins were emptied - finally, today! (The recycling was last emptied minimum of 4 weeks ago!) No, not just due to covid "we have no staff" excuses, as this has been happening for well over a year (more even? and I could tell you a couple of tales about "poor waste collectors needing a break" believe me! Has Covid affected 52 weeks a year for nigh on a year and a half? No, but it has mostly, here on Shackleton Close). Often, we have full and overflowing bins, for 6 weeks on end! We do not have the problem of unnecessary collections and we have total abandonment of recycling and "F.U. just deal with it!" attitude (it seems) from Lew Council regarding regular recycling collections. Many people want to and do, recycle but some people mess it up by putting the wrong stuff in the wrong bins because they are lazy or selfish. The response from Lewisham? We will remove the recycling bins! What?!!! You could not make it up! Now they are talking about making sure less goes to landfill. Oh that is great, except, many tenants and residents on this estate have abandoned recycling altogether and now put everything in the bin (regular trash) as they cannot keep up to 6 weeks of (?bags) of recycling within their flats in the hope that the council will finally send a truck to empty it!
You are lucky you have too many collections. Maybe your councillers and the ones in this area should get together to chat about this? Me, I have given up on over10 years of doing all I can to recycle, because, the council DO NOT CARE, therefore I, as a second class citizen (they make me that) no longer care. Everything to landfill! BECAUSE Lewisham Council make it difficult and stressful for me to recycle.

New Year 2022 - will ANYTHING change?!

PS No, especially not as all the extra homes being built (loads behind my estate for example) will only add to the extra burden of more refuse, recycling, parking and much more. But hey, what do the existing minions matter? They do not! Shut up, put up, be thankful, minions!

Yours dejectedly
Sue
a minion, sorry, resident of Lewisham borough
alywin

Post by alywin »

Well, Bromley collected our bins today as per schedule - i.e. several days later than normal due to Bank Holidays and so on.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I have to say, Bromley have ben really good. No normal or recycling collections missed. Only at the start of the pandemic did they miss some recycling but that only lasted a couple of weeks
syd

Post by syd »

The Scorpion wrote: 4 Jan 2022 20:54 Meanwhile on a Lewisham Council estate just over the border from you (at edge of Thorpewood Avenue SE26 and Featherstone Avenue SE23 - to be precise, SE23 3YW Shackleton Close estate) an approx. 90 flat estate with a mix of Council tenants and private leaseholders/residents had to wait yet another 3 or 6 weeks or so more before their already overflowing recycling bins were emptied - finally, today! (The recycling was last emptied minimum of 4 weeks ago!) No, not just due to covid "we have no staff" excuses, as this has been happening for well over a year (more even? and I could tell you a couple of tales about "poor waste collectors needing a break" believe me! Has Covid affected 52 weeks a year for nigh on a year and a half? No, but it has mostly, here on Shackleton Close). Often, we have full and overflowing bins, for 6 weeks on end! We do not have the problem of unnecessary collections and we have total abandonment of recycling and "F.U. just deal with it!" attitude (it seems) from Lew Council regarding regular recycling collections. Many people want to and do, recycle but some people mess it up by putting the wrong stuff in the wrong bins because they are lazy or selfish. The response from Lewisham? We will remove the recycling bins! What?!!! You could not make it up! Now they are talking about making sure less goes to landfill. Oh that is great, except, many tenants and residents on this estate have abandoned recycling altogether and now put everything in the bin (regular trash) as they cannot keep up to 6 weeks of (?bags) of recycling within their flats in the hope that the council will finally send a truck to empty it!
You are lucky you have too many collections. Maybe your councillers and the ones in this area should get together to chat about this? Me, I have given up on over10 years of doing all I can to recycle, because, the council DO NOT CARE, therefore I, as a second class citizen (they make me that) no longer care. Everything to landfill! BECAUSE Lewisham Council make it difficult and stressful for me to recycle.

New Year 2022 - will ANYTHING change?!

PS No, especially not as all the extra homes being built (loads behind my estate for example) will only add to the extra burden of more refuse, recycling, parking and much more. But hey, what do the existing minions matter? They do not! Shut up, put up, be thankful, minions!

Yours dejectedly
Sue
a minion, sorry, resident of Lewisham borough
Sue you should use fixmystreet.com take photos it’s usually resolved within a week.