OLSPN and the Sydenham Society

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

OLSPN and the Sydenham Society

Post by JRW »

Since the first sign of problems with the OLSPN redevelopment (in July 2017), the Sydenham Society has been extremely reluctant to get involved. Their attentions were focused on delays to reopening the Greyhound, as can be seen from back copies of the magazine. There was no time to spare on a new crisis, mushrooming in the lower reaches of Lower Sydenham.

I tried to get involved with the Sydenham Society, and did all the leg work on the case. I was happy for them to put the Sydsoc ‘brand’ on public meetings that I’d called, just a day or two before the event. Sadly, however, they refused to get involved in the planning inquiry, saying that there was no realistic prospect of success. Therefore, I formed the ‘Fairlawn Park group’ of objectors, and represented it myself, without the support of counsel. I did this as a Rule 6 party, which allowed me to cross-question witnesses, and to introduce new evidence at the inquiry, and again for the High Court.

In the last few days, it has been made clear that Sydsoc is not only uninterested in improving the proposed scheme, but is actively working against changes, being dismissive of immediate neighbours’ concerns. Barry Milton has been publicly dismissive of my relevance, standing up at meetings to speak on behalf of the Sydenham Society, promoting the new redevelopment application as being excellent.

Barry, Annabel and many of the committee live in the Thorpes conservation area, at the more affluent end of Sydenham. They have repeatedly refused to allow me to speak with them, and claim that their Architect consultants say the scheme is ‘pretty’. I’d like to have seen these reports, and their original briefing from the Sydsoc committee.

This largely anonymous group, who stood as a bloc with no other candidates admitted, haven’t consulted their members about OLSPN. I know, because I’m a member of Sydsoc, and was refused permission to raise the matter at AGM. The Committee has adopted a patrician stance, telling people that they authorise a design, while refusing to hear from members that are directly affected on a daily basis.

I have only wanted to work constructively with them, but the current Sydsoc committee are behaving as an autocratic force, and refusing to speak to people directly affected. Finding that they have been misleading me about their true position is disappointing, and has convinced me of the need to make a public statement on the situation. It’s all a bit sad.
Jollylolly

Re: OLSPN and the Sydenham Society

Post by Jollylolly »

I find the new plans attractive. I think the Sydenham society realise that the plans offer a fair compromise. The Syd soc have taken the children and their parents into account when stating their position for the new plans. Removing all the windows and therefore asking children to decant elsewhere would result in possibly losing the school for good as parents would seek schools elsewhere.

The school is a worthwhile and very present part of the community. The children and teachers would very much like the school finished and as someone who looks out at it so would I!

I cannot comment on the operations of the Syd soc or the people in it, not being a member myself. However people are allowed to change their minds when new information or plans come to the fore.

I don’t live in the Thorpes but take great pride in my very local area and try to make it look pretty. I visit home park almost daily and feel the school’s presence has resulted in declining numbers of drug dealers etc in the gazebo.
Just John

Post by Just John »

I have no idea what OLSPN is. If the ridiculous fashion/fad of using only initial letters must be adopted then somewhere in the text there should be an interpretation into PLAIN ENGLISH.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

A good point.

OLSPN refers to Our Lady and St Philip Neri school located at 208 Sydenham Road Sydenham London SE26 5SE.

The use of the abbreviation has become the norm in what is a lengthening dialogue around the mismanaged rebuilding of the school over the last few years. There are several threads on this and other forums about many key issues.

Hope this helps.
Just John

Post by Just John »

Yes thanks. It is, however, good practice always to start by identifying what various acronyms refer to. Use of initials, after first spelling out the full title, is perfectly reasonable.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Okay (OK)