Local Tree Surgeon?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ronski

Local Tree Surgeon?

Post by Ronski »

Anyone reccomend a cheap tree surgeon in the local areal?

We have a tricky 3 foot stump on a concrete block that needs to be removed. I found a stumpbusters online but they cant do it because of the concrete block.

thanks
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I have a business card in my bag for an Arboriculture (oooh errr, that's what they're called you know, people who look after trees):

A N ROWLAND LTD (N.C.H./S.C.C.)
51A CLIFFORD ROAD, SOUTH NORWOOD

Tel 020 8654 2526

"pruning/dead wooding/stump grinding/felling/tree surgery/site clearance/planting/wood chips available/surveys and reports/fully insured"

I haven't used them yet because its not the right time of year for what we want doing but I met them working on a garden in Jews Walk and stopped for a chat. Seemed friendly and proffessional to me.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

thanks for the info Savvy I'll check them out.

We went to a garden centre in Crystal Palace (http://www.thesecretgardencentre.com/) & they had a list of people who do private work & their skills. A few had chainsaw certs etc.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

How much did you spend there (as opposed to how much you thought you might spend)? I haven't been to the Secret Garden for weeks, its too dangerous at this time of year, I never come out without spending a fortune. I have been looking for some Boston Ivy whilst witholding a visit to the garden centre. I have resorted to ripping some off someone's outer wall and planting it up.... it was coming out of a fence and way past their garden into the street. I have planted it up and am keeping fingers crossed.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

We were just looking really as we were passing, it seemed pretty expensive though, some lovely plants you could spend a fortune there!!

Was going to take a look at this place towards Catford, any good?
http://www.phoebes.co.uk/
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

Pheobes is great - excellent selection of plants, and tools, seeds etc - and lovely animals and fish.
Only drawback is limited parking.
It is the sort of garden centre you think you'd only find in countryside!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

thanks, sounds well worth a visit!

Only other one I've found in the area is Shannon's Garden Centre on Stansted Road in Forest, has anyone been there?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Talking of gardens.... I saw (and subsequently mislaid / threw out, grrrr) the church magazine back in March which gave a telephone number for the 'open garden scheme' in Sydenham. There are people in our town who for a nominal fee (often passed to charity) will let you admire their boarders and veggie patches and give advice on how they grow them. I really wish I had that number.. can anyone help? I think the scheme was starting this month.