Licence application for gambling……

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Spike

Licence application for gambling……

Post by The Spike »

Hi guys,

Has anyone noticed the application posted on the door of the old Santander shop at 53 Sydenham road by a company called ‘Merkur slots’?

It seems that they are proposing a slot machine haunt, what a shame for the shop to be turned into that if the license is approved. I know it’s been empty for ages but had hoped that we would get something that would be a benefit to the area instead of this.

I have emailed a strong objection to Lewisham Licence Department at ‘licensing@Lewisham.gov.uk’ and ask that anyone else who would rather not have that particular type of shop in the High Street to do the same please.

Objections need to be received by 15th Feb so not a lot of time…

Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested.

Many thanks.
stuart

Re: Licence application for gambling……

Post by stuart »

There is a mention of it in the latest Sydenham Society Newsletter. They are looking for folks to object. You can view the newsletter online here:
https://mailchi.mp/4d7df95d2b26/187fqbx ... 7b827aad28
The Spike

Post by The Spike »

Thanks for that link.

Can you imagine having an unmanned premises open 24hrs dedicated to this, a nightmare for residents living close by.

I really hope local people will see that this is of no real benefit to the high street and object strongly.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

100% agreed. I’m not averse to different businesses and things in the area that I don’t use/like if they contribute to the community etc. But in this case - it’s not providing much in the way of employment, gambling generally preys on those less fortunate and creates more social issues and being limited by age and quite a specific interest it doesn’t have the potential to serve as many members of the community as so many other types of businesses.
stuart

Post by stuart »

We really need some guidance from those experienced in objecting to outline the valid reasons why the planning officer/committee can decline.

A moral stance against gambling is not going to cut much ice in a street already well bookmakered.

Anybody here from SydSoc who could encourage them to start a petition? I'm sure it would get support well outside their membership. Oh, and if we could have some support from our Mayoral candidates particularly from the one who is a shoe-in.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

This must not be allowed to happen, it`s the last thing Sydenham Road needs especially as open overnight
Please object
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

If there are times it is unmanned, how is an age verification being completed? What is to stop a 15 year old going in?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I think Thursday is the closing day for objections
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I emailed the licensing folk and cc’d in the councillors and got a pretty quick response from both parties that they had recieved my email etc. Just thought would flag as Lewisham website was having some issues earlier today (at least). For ease here are all emails:

Licensing@lewisham.gov.uk
chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Jack.Lavery@lewisham.gov.uk
Liam.curran@lewisham.gov.uk
Watlington

Post by Watlington »

I am aware that other boroughs object to gambling due to its health harms and often involve their public health teams - I'll be using materials from London Councils and the LGA to inform my response, and this is quite a helpful example: https://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/doc ... ySlots.pdf

I wasn't able to use the online portal yesterday so hoping it works today.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Can I suggest that people ask the Sydenham Safer Neighborhood police team to object to the license? The police statement is what really counts in licensing cases.
You can them on their contact portal at
https://www.met.police.uk/area/your-are ... -this-area

You can also direct them on twitter @MPSSydenham
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

This is their proposed illuminated shop sign for a business designed not to appeal to children.

Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

broken_shaman wrote: 15 Feb 2024 13:39 This is their proposed illuminated shop sign for a business designed not to appeal to children.

Mind Blown.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

The Spike wrote: 9 Feb 2024 16:29 Can you imagine having an unmanned premises open 24hrs dedicated to this, a nightmare for residents living close by.
Is it actually unmanned? The application states that there will be 12 employees, and complimentary tea/coffee will be provided. I would object very strongly to unmanned opening, particularly through the night, which could and probably would lead to abuse of the premises for socially undesirable purposes. If manned 24/7 then I just think it would be no great asset for the High Street.

Regards
Chris
The Spike

Post by The Spike »

I assumed it was going to be unmanned at times having seen this from one of the links supplied by the Sydenham Society?

The proposal is for a largely unstaffed operation with press-button entry on the door. Many Mekur Slot premises are 'open' 24 hours per day. If there are objections by the licensing commmittee to granting a 24 hour licence, Merkur may run the business for a number of months and then re-apply, challenging the committee to produce evidence of 'harm'.

I’m currently in Australia on holiday so apologies for not following up quickly on my original post.
simon

Post by simon »

I'm pretty sure it will have to have at least one member of staff on the premises for age verification purposes.
barrybaltimore

Post by barrybaltimore »

why is this a problem?
The Spike

Post by The Spike »

barrybaltimore wrote: 3 Mar 2024 20:41 why is this a problem?
Well I guess it all comes down to individual opinion on what you think is of benefit to the high street when a new premises is taken over.

Personally I would rather we don’t have a slot machine/gambling establishment there especially with it’s close proximity to the bus stop used by lots of school children too and from school, it’s not something that I think the High Street needs.

Each to his own though…..
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

The latest Sydenham society newsletter has the reasons why they have objected in case helpful Barry or anyone else.

The Sydenham Society objected to the licensing application for the following reasons:

There is already a concentration of 3 betting shops within 100 yards;

The premises are in close proximity to a bus stop used by children going to and from local schools;

The premises are within close proximity of Ignition Brewery and Here For Good, both of which provide activities for vulnerable people;

These venues encourage behaviour that has a negative effect on individuals, families and communities;

The premises are close to Queensthorpe Square and Earlsthorpe Mews, both of which have experienced antisocial behaviour;

We wish to see useful retail businesses in Sydenham Road to help make the high street a community friendly shopping environment. The opening of an adult gaming centre which may wish to operate for the full 24 hours will be highly detrimental to this aspiration.

You have until Wednesday March 6th to object to this proposal. Please email your comments to planning@lewisham.gov.uk quoting reference number DC/24/134565 and the address. Alternatively you can write to The Planning Dept, Lewisham Town Hall, London SE6 4RU. You can also log on to Lewisham's planning website and comment online, but you need to register with the website to do this.
barrybaltimore

Post by barrybaltimore »

The Spike wrote: 5 Mar 2024 07:09
barrybaltimore wrote: 3 Mar 2024 20:41 why is this a problem?
Well I guess it all comes down to individual opinion on what you think is of benefit to the high street when a new premises is taken over.

Personally I would rather we don’t have a slot machine/gambling establishment there especially with it’s close proximity to the bus stop used by lots of school children too and from school, it’s not something that I think the High Street needs.

Each to his own though…..
I guess it is all opinion