Big Fire / Power Cut

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Monica

Post by Monica »

Well, it's 9.20pm in the Thorpes and we are still in the dark. Although the internet connection on my Blackberry has never been more amazing. My husband and I are panicking, as without the telly we may need to resort to talking to each other. Please help! This is an emergency.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

We're in Upper Syd and ours only came on about 20 mins ago.
bigjow

Post by bigjow »

Aaaaah T.V/Internet lol :D
KateM

Post by KateM »

ours came back on about 1/2hr ago - just lost one of my contact lenses in the near dark - but found it now the lights are back on!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Admin,I live in the same road as you, but didnt get my electric on till 21.10ish? I have had to wait an extra hour! how come?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D Have you got blue eyes? :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Annie wrote:Have you got blue eyes?
Yep!

I guess EDF are doing a rolling turn on as the first thing people do is load the system by putting a kettle on. And I guess they are at least two transformers down. Lucky its a warm summer evening.

Are blue eyes good for anything else :wink:

And I think I would like to congratulate the engineers in getting most of us back online so quickly. No mean feat with half your transformers blown and needing a lot of reconfiguration and load balancing. I've known instances of explosions like this taking people off grid for four days.

Admin
simon

Post by simon »

Back on here in Knighton Park Road at 21.40, missed the football :(
Neighbours remarked at how quiet it was, when the power came back on the air was filled with the sound of vaious alarms. According to BBC there are still "thousands" of people without power.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

sophie wrote:My O2 signal seems to have been playing up last weekend and this weekend so not connected to this. Anyone else with O2?

We got our power back at about 4pm today.
YESSS, since last weekend I am getting very low signal, sometimes none at all on O2. I called to complain and they said maybe it's my area but I've NEVER had these problems before. What can we do?
parklife

no electrecity

Post by parklife »

How many people in Sydenham had no power for 13 hours ? called LBC, capital radio, Magic etc and was told no news since early afternoon as far they were concerned all was ok !!! hope Boris had a hot shower and ice for his gin and tonic
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We found batteries for the radio at 10 past nine pm. Walked downstairs with it and all the lights came on. Typical. I quite enjoyed the novelty of it, no tv, no internet. I actually read a book without feeling guilty. My hubby wasn't too pleased, missing the football, and was getting a bit stressed at the end. Mentioning the fact that our carbon footprint today was zero didn't help much. Its our wedding anniversary too - no lunch out to celebrate, not even a takeaway. We had bacon sandwiches (didn't dare open the freezer) - for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Oink Oink.
Its at times like this that having a community forum comes into its own - very well done Admin. Must learn to access via my mobile for future reference. And remember where the batteries for the radio are.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Fairlawn park was dark untill just before 20.00.

I went to get the champagne..but it was warm. ;-)
whorty1970

Power back in Beckenham

Post by whorty1970 »

Hi all

for those interested, we got power back about 9-50 in Copers Cope Road Beckenham.

Thanks to this site for giving us the best info on the problem all day (via web on mobile!). I'll definately be back again and use the site in future.

Hope everyone else is back up now.

Cheers.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Power came back on in Lower Sydenham around 9:45, funny to hear the whoops & shouts sat in the garden, then of course the alarms kicked off again. I'll post some pictures up in a bit. The station looked pretty totalled amazed they managed to get power back.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Savvy wrote:We found batteries for the radio at 10 past nine pm. Walked downstairs with it and all the lights came on. Typical.
Try one of these - about £15 on ebay. No batteries, just solar power - or wind it up after sunset. And it has a little LED light to search for stuff in the dark. By Freeplay:

Admin
parklife

SYDENHAM IN DARKNESS

Post by parklife »

we had very suspicious yellow van parked outside with 2 guys slumbering. Sunday night in cul-de-sac ??!!- Abel & co organic grocer delivery ! they saw us checking them out and at 9.45 power came back on and they drove away. Both men dressed in Securiy type uniform, navy jumpers and white shirts. Not being dramaic but looked like burglary waiting to happen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

parklife

Post by parklife »

yes excatly them based in Wimbledon - maybe opportunists checking out homes with no power waiting till all asleep before striking - am convinced they were up to no good, van outside stood out like a sore thumb
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

ALIB

Post by ALIB »

At least me kettle and TV still work,...and of course the computer

Alib[/quote]

Well that taught me a lesson about being a smartarse. We lost power 5minutes after the above posting, and only got reconnected at about 10pm last night.

Alib