Nuclear waste storage in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stone-penge

Nuclear waste storage in Sydenham?

Post by stone-penge »

The government is inviting communities in the UK to volunteer to host radioactive waste from the country's half-century of nuclear power.

Local authorities are urged to consult widely before coming forward, and may win financial support.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7450479.stm

This new report got me thinking. Sydenham has a great underground facilities in the disused railway tunnel.Why not use it for nuclear waste storage and reap the financial rewards?

A new roundabout, a refurbished Greyhound as a community Pub, gate access for the station.
The possibilities are endless...
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Unfortunately, I disagree with that idea. The negatives (real for locals and /or perceived by investors and future residents) far outweigh the positive (gov't subsidy).

I am all for increased investment and gov't grants/ support for local regeneration. But I vote for trying different approaches rather than offering to provide nuclear waste disposal. The Council SHOULD be providing funds (in my opinion) for the following reasons.

1. Grants /Funds made available to successful trader to upgrade / update their shop upon application

2. Complimentary funding by Lewisham Council to the £2 million TFL money. Funding would be used to “rejuvenate” the shops in the consultation area to the same standard as the proposed street and sidewalk improvements.

3. Funding for renovation and conservation should be made available for shops on Sydenham road as it is now listed as a conservation area.

My 2p...

Regards,
scott
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i think stone-penge is pulling your proton, scott.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I hate it when I don't realise my proton is being pulled... :o

I do believe in the three points for trying to get money from the council though :D

I forgot to add that as a positive of nuclear waste storage we could all turn into a green dragon and become living sydenham symbols... :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We wouldn't need street lamps either.

Admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

And no more power cuts.

I'm so busy at work I could sometimes do with an extra pair of hands...
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

And its so jolly unsafe here that a pair of eyes in the back of my head would be useful
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

No No and Nooooooooooooooooo

No to radioactive waste underneath us.

When that happens I want out of Sydenham altogether!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I llike the idea.

No streetlamps required

No central heating required.

And the size of locally grown vegetables !.........

Alib