sydenham boundary

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

sydenham boundary

Post by mosy »

Can anyone tell me whether the Sainsbury's superstore is considered to be in Sydenham please?

Thanks in advance.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's known as the Sydenham branch and the roads next to it have se26 on them.

It's 5 minutes form where I live and I live in Sydenham.

I'm interested in where this I heading...porque?

:-)
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

It certainly comes within the SE26 postcode. The area is often referred to as Bell Green, which refers specifically to the island surrounded by the one-way system (with the Bell pub on it) which was, once, the village green.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks Lee. Re "where...", my mind works in mysterious ways and, remembering that someone mentioned the fact that a directional road sign said "Superstore" (arrowing straight on), the thought hit me that if Sainsbury's were to adopt Sydenham's logo in grand proportion, then the whole of Sydenham could be regarded as a big advert for Sanisbury's.

I recall your saying somewhere that a logo you propose could be denied, though I don't recall your saying who would decide on applications for its use.

I'm rather on the fence re this, since I was thinking of all the things that made Sydenham "worth a visit" and thinking that the superstore complex in itself could be seen as an attraction by some.

I'm asking in a separate thread so that my lack of knowledge doesn't cloud the other one.
poppy

boundaries

Post by poppy »

Well, I think its very much on the fringe.

I think Sainsburys have called it Sainsburys Sydenham because it is more memorable than Bell Green.

Homebase in Bellingham, is called Homebase Catford, despite being right next to Bellingham shopping area and much closer to Bellingham train station.

The road Forest Hill Library is on is SE26 as is the bottom of Cator Road, which is Beckenham. So I don't think you can just go on postcodes.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

You are of course joking Mosy, surely?

Do you really think that:

A. Sainsbusry's would hijack the logo for Sydenham? and
B. That instantly people would associate the sydenham logo with sainsbury's?

Why would Sainsbury's do this? They wouldn't have permission to use it anyway. They have nothing to gain by doing it.. I doubt whether many people take much notice of a sign saying 'superstore anyway'.

Did Tesco/Sainsbury's. Waitrose or Morrisons hijack the Portsmouth logo? Has any brand hijacked the Lewisham logo?

No.

Don't worry about it. You are thinking about this way too much!
mosy

Post by mosy »

leenewham wrote:You are of course joking Mosy, surely?

Do you really think that:

A. Sainsbusry's would hijack the logo for Sydenham? and
B. That instantly people would associate the sydenham logo with sainsbury's?

Why would Sainsbury's do this? They wouldn't have permission to use it anyway. They have nothing to gain by doing it.. I doubt whether many people take much notice of a sign saying 'superstore anyway'.

Did Tesco/Sainsbury's. Waitrose or Morrisons hijack the Portsmouth logo? Has any brand hijacked the Lewisham logo?

No.

Don't worry about it. You are thinking about this way too much!
In sequence:

Joking? Put it this way, if everyone thinks I'm talking nonsense, that's great, as the possibility has been considered and dismissed and that would be great as it actually makes it more positive that a logo will work as it's hoped it will.

Whether Sainsbury's would use it? Why wouldn't they? I sure as heck would if I were on their marketing team. "Out of town" one-stop complexes often become a little village in themselves, and hey, there'll be signs through Sydenham leading straight to them...

Even if the logo were unavailable to them, I think the laws of copyright used to be something like 32 points of difference. It wouldn't be beyond me to come up with a similar but legally different logo...

Sydenham is rather different from Portsmouth. It's a smaller area by recognition terms, i.e. the village road rather than a whole city, and any symbol for Sydenham would not have the same long-standing recognition on its own account.

Yes, I am over-thinking it. People I know tend to do that with things that could have lasting effects into the future. Still, now you've said, "Don't worry about it", my mind is, or should be, at rest? Yes?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm glad your mind is now at rest Mosy :-).

Regarding the copyright of the identity. It's very hard to legally copy distinctive, ownable design.

London street signs have been used a lot recently on 'london' based designs such as gin packs. The signs have just been registered so you are now not able to copy them.

You can't take a picture of the Hollywood sign and reproduce it without the Authorities in LA giving you permission, they own the rights to use it even if YOU take the photo.

London has a logo that is registered (with the ON part in red).

There is plenty of protection out there for any visual identity, if it is distinctive enough. The Green Dragon symbol that used to be in Sydenham Wells is unique. I have done a lot of research and have found no Dragons that look the same. Certainly no branded symbols look the same that I could find.

Even if, for some reason, Sainsbury's did decide to use the Symbol, I don't see that as a huge problem. They are after all in Sydenham!

Having worked for Sainsbury's before, I doubt if they would as their own brand guidelines don't allow for Dual branding like this. Same goes for other clients I have worked for such as Waitrose and Tesco, Travelex, Natwest, Coca Cola etc.

As for who would manage the logo and decide who could use it, that is to be decided. How it can be used will be part of the brand guidelines that will be produced alongside the identity. But that come later.

I think it's better to have some designs first!!. This takes a bit of time.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Many thanks. Lee, for your comprehensive reply. *Mosy's mind at rest now*
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Phew! ;-)

:arrow: sainsbury's