Decent Ale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
fishcox

Decent Ale

Post by fishcox »

I could have started this thread in either Town Cafe or Town Pub.

Just looking for recommendations for nearby pubs that serve a decent pint of hand pulled beer.

Im not that bothered about whether the pub itself looks flash or not (I quite prefer a place that looks more like a 'local' actually) just so long as the beer is well maintained, and isnt going to make me ill.

The image of the real ale drinker has taken a bit of a battering over the past few years, although it has always been far cooler to order a pint of beer, than to drink some mass produced chemical fizz, which is often passed off as lager.

Open to any tips, even decent pints in Central London, or even recommendations for good bottled beers (Somerfields often have cracking bargains on their bottled beer selection).

Hints, tips, advice - all is welcome.

I was surprised to hear of a local Sam Smiths serving pub, in Anally (I cant resist it) for instance.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ah, my favourite subject!

Apparently the SS pub in Anerley doesn't serve Old Brewery Bitter (the only real ale in the SS range) but I can't verify that.

The Golden Lion serves 4 real ales, a little overpriced, but its the cosiest pub in Sydenham and has the most traditional layout. the ales on offer are, Courage Best, Harveys Best, Wells Bombadier (I think) and Adnams best. - as you may notice all those beers are "best bitters", but unfortunately in this part of the world this is the ubiquitous beer style and variation on that theme is extremely rare. Most pubs in London that serve real ale will often only have this beer type on offer...

All Wetherspoons pubs serve a decent little range, and sometimes you'll get some exotic beers from far flung corners of the country...even different styles. That said, they are not always well kept - it depends on teh pub. I sometimes go to the Postal Order at the Top of Crystal Palace, they often have something interesting on there...

Further Afield, one of my favourite pubs in London is the Royal Oak at Borough (Tabard Street) its a Harveys house - the only one in London. There you can find a very agreeable pint of Mild if the fancy takes you (as well as the rest of the Harvey's Range)

Near to the Royl Oak, as you head towards town, in Borough Market there is the Market Porter, which also sells a fine range of beer. it does tend to get over-crowded though.

Up in the Centre of town I'd reccommend The Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon Station - it serves beer from teh Organic St Peter's Brewery. And nearby the Ye Old Mitre in Ely Place is an eccentrically located little pub (you can only get there down a narrow passage) - it serves good beer, but its overpriced.

If you want to go further afield........head to Manchester! - but that's a different thread. :P
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks for the tips Bensonby.

I have visited all the pubs you mention in the thread (apart from The Royak Oak in Borough). I particularly like the Market Porter (another of my old haunts from years gone by) and Ye Old Mitre, but I do find Wetherspoons pubs soulless (although the prices are reasonable).

A cracking pub in Borough is The Lord Clyde, just off Mashalsea Street - miles better than the Market Porter, in my opinion.

Anyone going to Manchester must visit The Britons Protection and Peveril of The Peak - in fact, The Lord Clyde reminds me of both of these.

Believe it or not, the Greyhound used to be a superb pub - with decent beer. It was a Taylor Walker house, and they really looked after it. It had a lounge bar and a vault, snug - whatever you want to call it, and the most magnificent bar for miles around.

Then it was ruined, in the name of theme pubs, and went downhill faster than Franz Klammer.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

fishcox wrote:Anyone going to Manchester must visit The Britons Protection and Peveril of The Peak - in fact, The Lord Clyde reminds me of both of these.
Absolutely! And you can add to that list The Marble Arch on Rochdale Road, The Crescent in Salford and the New Oxford in Salford.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I only know The Crescent, but not the other two you mentioned.

As a Salfordian by birth, I have frequented many places in that neck of the woods. One you may not know is The Queens at Patricroft - still serves a great pint of Boddingtons, and is well attended, despite being well of the beaten track.

Joseph Holts also demands a mention, as probably one of the finest pints to be had - at a great price too.

Have you ever come across Holt's (or Nut's and Bolts, as we call it) in London? I did see it somewhere once, as a guest ale, but not since.

Four pints of that, and you know you've had a drink.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

fishcox wrote:IFour pints of that, and you know you've had a drink.
and you'll still have change for a bus ride home and a bag of chips from a tenner! (with a few pence left over!)

I've never seen Holts in London, the only holts pub I go to a semi-regular basis is the Ape and Apple.

The marble arch is a must! its a micro brewery with an outlet in Chorlton. Its a fantastic tiled victorian pub...the brewery opened up in 1997 I think.

It still remains my favourtie pub in Manchester (a city of great pubs!)

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Manchester

the New Oxford is very new, only opened up in the past 2 years or so... Its in teh square in front of Salford Magistrates court; about a 5 min walk from the crescent. Its set up a bit "cafe style" inside, but the beer range is fantastic, and the peopel running it really know their stuff!

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... rd/Salford

You've got me realyl keen for my trip to Manchester this weekend! I'm off to a beer festival a mate is putting on in Bury!
Last edited by bensonby on 3 Sep 2008 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I quite like Shep Neames pubs (for the Spitfire!), so that's the Forest Hill Railway Telegraph and the other one I used to use a lot was the Rose & Crown, Colombo Rd (nr Blackfriars Road):
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Southwark

Closer to home (Kirkdale), I can't fault the Windmill for choice and quality of the ales...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Gaz wrote:I quite like Shep Neames pubs (for the Spitfire!), so that's the Forest Hill Railway Telegraph and the other one I used to use a lot was the Rose & Crown, Colombo Rd (nr Blackfriars Road):
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Southwark

Closer to home (Kirkdale), I can't fault the Windmill for choice and quality of the ales...
I've only been to the Rose and Crown once - but I was impressed.... I do like sheps. It sits equal to Harveys as my favourite Southern beers...

Another pub to recommend over in Addiscombe (nr Croydon) is the Claret:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Addiscombe

Only pub in London to sell Palmers.
pip

Post by pip »

one of the best pubs for real Ale ive ever come across is the Dog and Bell just off New Kings Street in deptford. Its tucked away by the old Convoys Wharf, Has a very friendly atmosphere. real Ales in superb condition and you do get the odd celeb call in for a pint. Well worth a visit.
Anyone else been there?
pip

Post by pip »

Oh and I nearly forgot. The Dog and Bell has been winning Camra awards for years.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

BEER!!!! YAWN!!!!!!!!

Is there anything more tedious than ernest "real" ale fanatics endlessly discussing the foul stuff while it drips from their beards onto their pot beer bellies.

Can't stand the foul stuff, hate it, and all its derivatives, or the stink of it, best news in a week of gloom is that about 2 dozen pubs a week are closing, it won't belong before thay are all gone.
Then they'll all be on home brew I suppose.
I'm off to put the kettle on.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

catscratch wrote:BEER!!!! YAWN!!!!!!!!

Is there anything more tedious than ernest "real" ale fanatics endlessly discussing the foul stuff while it drips from their beards onto their pot beer bellies.

Can't stand the foul stuff, hate it, and all its derivatives, or the stink of it, best news in a week of gloom is that about 2 dozen pubs a week are closing, it won't belong before thay are all gone.
Then they'll all be on home brew I suppose.
I'm off to put the kettle on.
be away with you troll! :shock:

Your ignorance is not welcome here! :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think you are being unkind Bensonby. We must commiserate with catscratch putting the kettle on. Caffeine depletion is a nasty condition. We really need a campaign for real tea. It's place in your average supermarket is disappearing faster than third rate pubs. It is really getting very difficult to buy proper loose leaf.

I'm not talking about the exotic herby tasting muck - but a proper British Cuppa. This can never come from a tea bag. And to think we all live within a mile or so of Frederick Horniman's magic memorial.

To the barricades tea drinkers in cardigans, slippers et al ...

Admin
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

[. One you may not know is The Queens at Patricroft - still serves a great pint of Boddingtons, and is well attended, despite being well of the beaten track.

I seem to remember going there once with some lads from the nearby Gardner Engine works, if you knew Gardners, was it nearby? Anyway good pint of bitter whateveritwas! Boddies?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

brian stimson wrote:[. One you may not know is The Queens at Patricroft - still serves a great pint of Boddingtons, and is well attended, despite being well of the beaten track.

I seem to remember going there once with some lads from the nearby Gardner Engine works, if you knew Gardners, was it nearby? Anyway good pint of bitter whateveritwas! Boddies?
I don't know that part of Manchester, but its certainly Boddies territory. Anyhow, now tha tthe brewery has closed down cask Boddies is brewed at the Hydes Brewery...another fine ale producer...and the brewery tour is a splendid evening out!
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

"We really need a campaign for real tea. It's place in your average supermarket is disappearing faster than third rate pubs. It is really getting very difficult to buy proper loose leaf."

Seconded

I of course brew with real leaves, in a proper brown Denby teapot, following the age old ritual. :D
Good old Coop 99 is still on the shelves, and will brew a proper builders brew, for more refined brews I call in at Fortnums on my way back from lunch in one of my favourite Knightsbridge eateries before calling in at the London Library to sleep off lunch.
Lager drinkers in their hoodies and filthy trainers never get past the doorman in either establishment, :lol: and Beer drinkers are for ever looking for a dark corner to urinate in. :roll:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

What's the London Library like? I've been interested at having a gander, when visiting my club next door...
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

If there is a club next door to the library, then its not one worth belonging to. For a tenner,about 3 pints? you can get a day pass to view the inside of one of Londons gems.
It will, however, take you more than a day to master the unique filing system and find your way around the stacks.
Sadly, they do not do tea, but Fortnums have a tea room within tottering distance:)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

catscratch wrote:If there is a club next door to the library, then its not one worth belonging to. For a tenner,about 3 pints? you can get a day pass to view the inside of one of Londons gems.
It will, however, take you more than a day to master the unique filing system and find your way around the stacks.
Sadly, they do not do tea, but Fortnums have a tea room within tottering distance:)
I have you know my club is very fine! - and it serves a nice pint for £2.30....

St James's Sq is in the heart of clubland...
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I really cant bear people like Catscratch - if you actually exist. Preconceptions about 'people who drink beer' reek of ignorance and stupidity.

Talking about 'eateries in Knightsbridge' how sophisticated you must be.

As well as drinking beer, I also visit St Quentin, (which you will no doubt have heard of - it being on Knightsbridge) on quite a regular basis, so us beer drinking proles must now be straying on to previously hallowed ground.

Anyway, Brian, The Queens is indeed where you say, it was right next to where the Royal Ordnance Factory was - which I think is now an industrial estate.