Double glazing - anywhere local recommended

Living in Sydenham and looking for a gardener, flat or whatever? Advertise free here

Moderator: frenzarin

Double glazing - anywhere local recommended

Postby Columbus » 19 Nov 2008 22:43

Can anybody recommend any local companies that do double glazing?

I am looking to get some double glazed french doors and a couple of windows. Unfortunately looks like it will be PVC not wood due to budget constraints.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Columbus

Postby umbrella » 20 Nov 2008 13:03

Something I'm also looking into. So far I have Bespoke of Dulwich, Pearson Glazing (Peckham) and Britelite (part of chain based in Kent) coming round to quote me for a couple of uPVC windows in the next week or so.
umbrella

Postby leenewham » 20 Nov 2008 13:36

I've been through this a few times now on my old flat and my current house.

If you get the likes of Everest around and they offer you a 'order now bonus' DO NOT take it. In this climate you have a lot of power to get the price down. I was quoted £20,000 for replacement sash windows in my previous flat. I said it was too much, eventually the price went down to £5000.

In the end I just replaced 2 broken windows by a company called Zeneth (also known as Staybright or Bowater windows. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY IN ANY OF IT'S VARIOUS NAMES. THEY ARE AWFUL.

When a double glazing company sends around their 'designer' they mean a salesman. Do not trust them. They will tell you their windows are better. I had all the major companies around and all the windows were pretty much identical.

I had a quote to replace the terrible plastic double glazed windows in my new house. Plastic and wood were the same price.

Negotiate, play one company off another, don't sign anything on the first meeting and don't fall for the old "do you have a postbox nearby, do you have a bustop nearby, a school...good, you now qualify for our bonus scheme, if we can erect a sign outside your property we will give you a 20% discount if you sign today" con. It is nonsense, absolute piffle.

If, as I have, you have the Double Glazing salesman's boss calling you and the salesman won't leave, go to the phone and tell them that if they don't leave you will call the police. It's the only way I could get rid of one tw*t who had hounded me for over 2 hours with his boss constantly calling back with lower quotes and getting angry with me for not signing there and then.

Plastic windows have thicker frames than wood and block a lot of natural light coming into the room, especially on small windows.

Plastic windows don't last as long as wood. Their 'lifetime guarantee' if often only about 20 years...if the company still exisits in 20 years! Check the terms and conditions. Wood can last much longer.

You can doubleglaze exisiting wooden sash windows (try the sash window workshop or similar) It's cheaper too.

Plastic PVC frames are VERY poor insulators. The plastic itself isn't strong so they have metal running through the frame for strength.

Wood is more environmentally friendly as most companies use FSC wood which is beneficial to the environment. Plastic is oil based and is incredibly bad for the environment.

It's cheaper, adds value to your property if you refurbish your existing wooden windows. Many properties have windows that are over 100 years old (like mine did). I refurbished them with thicker acoustic glass.

Many companies fit poor quality plastic windows. The ones in my house creak and groan all the time, don't shut properly, are difficult to close and have trickle vents that you can't close so you get a constant draught in the room anyway! They had a cheap plastic architrave inside fitted by some one armed, blind deaf and dumb neandertal with a leaking glue gun. I'm pretty sure his other arm was a fingerless stump judging by the due care and attention he attributed to the job in hand. Beware of cheap and poor quality.
leenewham

Postby Juwlz » 20 Nov 2008 14:01

I think using uPVC (plastic) on windows is a false economy in most cases because
a) they look disgusting, especially on an old building

b) if something breaks on them you have to replace the whole window instead of just a part

c) if you're going to be living in the same place for quite a few years you also want to watch out because plastic eventually discolours and you can't paint over them.

d) the production of uPVC is very environmentally unfriendly.

e) You will de-value your house. If I came to buy it and saw plastic windows I'd want money off.

Plastic could be okay on a modern building (though personally I still wouldn't). But putting plastic windows on an old property is like putting your grandma in a shell suit. Just plain wrong.

Its more expensive in the short term but I would rather live on baked beans for a year than put plastic windows on my house.

Sorry I can't help more because I only know about metal windows (for this I recommend Clement windows in Haslemere or Lightfoot windows in Croydon).
Juwlz

Postby Ronski » 20 Nov 2008 16:32

We have PVC windows that have many of the problems you describe Juwlz. We'd love to replace them due to the drafts we're getting & they have done a bit of a botch job fitting them.

A short term fix was to use 'No more big gaps' expanding foam, you have to be really careful using this stuff (mask it all off, don't touch it & let it dry for 8 hours or so then you can cut/sand it to shape).

Can anyone give me an idea what it would cost per window to do this? Just wondering how much we need to save (lots I imagine!).
Ronski

Postby leenewham » 20 Nov 2008 18:12

I had a quote for double glazed wooden sash windows of £802 +VAt per window earlier this year from Box Sash Willys. Hope that helps.

Lee
leenewham

Postby Chazza » 21 Nov 2008 16:14

leenewham wrote:I refurbished them with thicker acoustic glass.

That sounds like an interesting product Lee; the railway line is at the back of my house and, while it's not like the noise wakes me up, it would be nice to cut down on the noise when the house is quiet. Which company did you use?
Chazza

Postby leenewham » 21 Nov 2008 17:03

There are various companies that do it. It made a massive difference when I had it done, but get them draught proofed at the same time.

I used these guys, I wasn't 100% satisfied as one window stuck afterwards, but they were incredibly quick.

http://www.sashwindow.com/

Have a look at these guys too:
http://www.ventrolla.co.uk/
http://www.tlswc.co.uk/
http://www.southlondonboxsashwindows.co.uk/

The Sydenham Glass Shop opposite home park and near the excellent Old Bath House reclamation yard is worth a look, I'm sure they said they refurbished sash windows. It's not as difficult as it seems!
leenewham

Postby The Clown » 23 Nov 2008 09:50

Recommend First Glass. They have a small presence in Beckenham but big warehouse is im West Wickham I think. Did a lovely job on my bathroom windows.
Ray Packham
Anthony Packham
020 8658 7686
The Clown

Postby Chrise » 24 Nov 2008 16:55

Whatever you decide with double glazing, go for internally glazed! With externally glazed windows the burglars just remove the beading and hey presto they are in...
Chrise

Postby Columbus » 25 Nov 2008 12:47

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated and very helpful.
Columbus

Postby angelstarlet » 25 Nov 2008 21:50

I got 5 windows (double glazed) replaced by Sutton Windows last year which came in about £1700 (I'm sure it will be a bit cheaper now!) They have a showroom in Beckenham and were fantastic and "unsalesy" when they came round to quote. I did have one small problem after they fitted but they came round immediately to sort it out - all covered under guarantee and no problems since.
angelstarlet

Postby Big Ben » 26 Nov 2008 17:40

For sash window renovation, casement windows and conversion of uPVC to timber, DraughtBusters of Forest Hill are excellent: http://www.draught-busters.co.uk/contact.html
I would echo everything Lee and Juwlz say about uPVC double-glazing - it's deeply environmentally unfriendly and unattractive. Think of the wonderful curtains or blinds you could have made for the cost of PVC windows - plus they will keep out the draughts just as effectively, and will not lower the value or detract from the aesthetics of your flat or house! Maintenance is often cited as the reason why people choose uPVC over timber, but refurbishment and painting with today's high-quality paint products every 7-10 years will almost certainly be less than the cost of installation of uPVC.
Big Ben

Postby Ronski » 26 Nov 2008 21:43

thanks for the replies & tips everyone, I think it will be a fair old while of saving but it will a good day when we get rid of the UPVC windows.
Ronski

Re: Double glazing - anywhere local recommended

Postby leenewham » 8 May 2012 09:10

Dear Signature Windows, In the timber window section on your website you appear to be showing upvc fake plastic 'timber effect' windows. You may want to amend that.
leenewham

Postby Bazman76 » 19 May 2012 10:45

@ angelstart

Was that £1700 for 5 wooden sash windows with double glazing seems a very good price?
Bazman76

Postby chrism » 19 May 2012 11:21

There's a mention on an old post of South eastern Box Sash Windows. I used them twice- first time they were great, second time they didn't finish the job and took our money. This was in the past few months and Chris the owner is refusing to take our calls. So please be wary of using them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
chrism

Postby mrchives » 26 May 2012 12:46

I have had 3 windows fitted to my property, which are extremely good prices, and they are LOCAL in Sydenham - SDG Windows
They do doors, sash windows, UPVC windows etc.
Got a good price, and install was efficient and reliable.
Am placing more orders through them.
Vic who runs the business is a nice guy, and he will do you a good job at a good price.
SDG are based at corner of upper Kirkdale and start of Dartmouth Road.
0207 998 9092
mrchives

Postby I hammer » 5 Jul 2014 19:44

I would also get a quote from a builder, as I have been told they are far cheaper than a double glazing firm. Also make sure they can supply you with FENSA certification as you'll need this when selling your property, otherwise you'll have to pay approx £75 for indemnity with your selling solicitors.
I hammer

Postby Rachael » 6 Jul 2014 09:36

This is an old thread resurrected by what looks like spam, but while we are on the subject of FENSA, you don't need a certificate if you replace sashes with new ones. That is restoration not replacement. If you replace the window FRAME as well as the sashes, then you need FENSA certification. It's messing around with the frames that can cause structural problems, and the issue that FENSA certification was introduced to address. If you put a new window in an existing frame, you don't need any certification.
Rachael

Next

Return to Wanted