Memories of Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Memories of Sydenham

Post by Guest »

Where have all the trees and grass gone in Sydenham - an environmental disaster - who is to blame.

My husband's family were market gardeners in Sydenham (they lived in the wooden cottages in Willow Walk, sadly these were demolished to make way for hideous housing), in the early 1800s and upto just before WW1 - I bet they are turning in their graves (are they still there?).

Iris, a former resident of Sydenham now of Sunbury, Australia.

Post by Guest »

I grew up in and around Sydenham, from the years 1942-1964. It was a very comfortable place to live. As a child I had no fear of riding my bike or walking in the main street. The old Granada Cinema was a place of early courtships, and Jimmy Small's Dance Studio next to the railway station an old haunt for me and my friends. I married the 'boy' who lived in the Off Licence and we set off to Australia in 1964, where we remain. It's sad to see the pictures of Sydneham now. I wonder if Cobbs Corner is still the same?

Patricia from Australia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cobbs Corner closed as a department store many years ago. Some shop units moved in - the most prominent being a Bridal Shop. The rest is rented out as offices (The Regent Business Centre), The LA Fitness Centre and a nightclub (Twilights - now closed) plus an apartment in the cupola.

It is rumoured that the nightclub and offices may be redeveloped as apartments.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is great that this site is being read in Australia. Yes Willow Walk is a disaster area. Certainly no wooded cottages. There are still wooded cottages next to Wells Park and many houses dating back to late 1700's and 1800,s.
It is a great shame we have lost a lot of the older buildings. We mainly have the Luftwafe and Lewisham Council ( in the 60's and70's ) to blaim I think.
Dick Eagle

memories

Post by Dick Eagle »

My memories only go back to the '39 period on when my introduction to Sydenham was Worsley Bridge Rd. and the delights of H.J.Maybrey's foundry, the LDV, then the 20th. County of London Royal West Kents as the Home guard became , then I moved further afield to savour the joys of the Navy. But in that short sojourn I made many good friends, we have all moved on but I hope many of them survived the war and like me are happy grandparents and still enjoying life Dickie Eagle.............
gbq42

LIVING IN SYDENHAM

Post by gbq42 »

Anonymous wrote:I grew up in and around Sydenham, from the years 1942-1964. It was a very comfortable place to live. As a child I had no fear of riding my bike or walking in the main street. The old Granada Cinema was a place of early courtships, and Jimmy Small's Dance Studio next to the railway station an old haunt for me and my friends. I married the 'boy' who lived in the Off Licence and we set off to Australia in 1964, where we remain. It's sad to see the pictures of Sydneham now. I wonder if Cobbs Corner is still the same?

Patricia from Australia
I LIVED AT NO 2 ELDERTON ROAD NEXT TO THE OFF LICENCE I HAD 3 GIRLS HAV NOT BEEN BACK ALL THOUGH I HAVE SEEN PICS IT HAS CHANGED A LOT I REMEMBER THE GRANADA AND JIMMY SMALLS USE TO GO IN THE BELL AT BELL GREEN GRACE FROM MILTON KEYNES
Steve

Post by Steve »

My Great grandfather brought his family up in a cottage on the left hand side as you go down willow walk, their name was Berryman. However I'm not sure whether anyone can help me find the location of Russell street where he was born?

I'd like to know where I might get a map of the area around the mid 19th centry.
Steve
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Steve

Do you mean Willow Way?

To purchase an old map of Sydenham, try this website:
http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/

Rebecca
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rebecca,

I always thought it was willow walk, but you could be right, from my memory as you descended a hill from the road that comes for Hornimans museum direction the road I'm thinking of was on the left hand side?

Steve
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Actually Willow Way was originally called Willow Walk. It was mostly small wooden cottages, like the two which still survive round the corner in Kirkdale.

Russell Street was renamed Cheseman Street, and is off Dartmouth Road, opposite the Bricklayers'Arms. That too was mostly small timber cottages. If those cottages had survived the redevelopment of the 1960s Cheseman Street and Willow Way (and Wells Park Road, which suffered the same fate) would be regarded as amongst the prettiest streets in Lewisham.
Last edited by Steve Grindlay on 15 Apr 2005 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks very much for that, you have the knowledge!
Falkor

Old Willow Walk before it was widened...

Post by Falkor »