side gate at station open?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mysti77

side gate at station open?

Post by mysti77 »

sorry for this post. I got eye surgery done yesterday and got to go myself into london bridge today and wondering if they would have the side gate open or if I buzzed they will let me through. I can see, just very light sensative so wearing shades and feel a bit nervous going the other way over the stairs.
Barty

Post by Barty »

As long as the ticket office staff are on duty, they will let you through the side gate if you buzz.

The only reason why they wouldn't be there at this time of day is if they've closed up to either spend a penny or empty the ticket machines.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Just some extra info for anyone using the side gate after getting off a London-bound train on platform 1.....

When you press the button to be let out, please make sure you press the silver button on the footbridge side of the gate, not one of the buttons on the round white Help Point on the other side of the gate. The Help Point connects to an office in Croydon who cannot open the gate for you. The silver button connects to the ticket office who can.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

but the side gate will be closed for 8 weeks i think from next week as they're installing ticket barriers there
Barty

Post by Barty »

I shall check that out.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

fat_mike wrote:but the side gate will be closed for 8 weeks i think from next week as they're installing ticket barriers there
Argghh! I was dreading when they'd have to do this (and was somewhat naively hoping that they wouldn't have to block access). This means for me 2 months of being late for work everyday and getting on an already hot train, stressed and sweating from rushing for an extra 10 minutes or so..! :oops: :(

On the other hand, I may just start to use FH station more... :twisted:
noangel

Post by noangel »

Gaz wrote:
fat_mike wrote:but the side gate will be closed for 8 weeks i think from next week as they're installing ticket barriers there
Argghh! I was dreading when they'd have to do this (and was somewhat naively hoping that they wouldn't have to block access). This means for me 2 months of being late for work everyday and getting on an already hot train, stressed and sweating from rushing for an extra 10 minutes or so..! :oops: :(

On the other hand, I may just start to use FH station more... :twisted:
Just leave the house a couple of minutes earlier than usual :wink:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

noangel wrote: Just leave the house a couple of minutes earlier than usual :wink:
I'm afraid that my bodyclock just doesn't work that well! :shock:

It is probably quicker for me to go via FH when the gate is locked in the morning though. The most frustrating part is if I do not know it's locked beforehand so any confirmation of dates gratefully received!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Next Tuesday, I believe. Trying to confirm this now.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Barty wrote:Next Tuesday, I believe. Trying to confirm this now.
There was a station employee on the gate last night telling everyone going through exactly that. Next Tues, closed for 8 weeks.

As someone who's becoming increasingly heavily pregnant, I'm not relishing the idea of the extra walk in the morning.. I already leave my house earlier to allow for my slowed pace!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Same here...

....although in my case, it's a dodgy leg....rather than any remake of "Junior" :D :D
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Gaz my bodyclock doesn't enjoy waking up a few minutes earlier either. If I do wake up earlier, I tend to move slower and end up leaving home at the same time regardless!
noangel

Post by noangel »

Given that I had to change my working hours to suit the fact I'm not a morning person (rather than constantly get into trouble for being late), I really have no right to tell people to get up a couple of minutes early. :lol: And it was a tongue in cheek comment, I didn't mean for it to be taken seriously.

I don't understand how they can put barriers at the side gate. Seems a bit silly to me. Are they going to do the same with the side gate on Platform 2 at Forest Hill? Will they put barriers at every single possible entrance to all stations on that line!?! Did Southern get a special deal on ticket barriers :lol:
Barty

Post by Barty »

natbeuk wrote:
Barty wrote:Next Tuesday, I believe. Trying to confirm this now.
There was a station employee on the gate last night telling everyone going through exactly that. Next Tues, closed for 8 weeks.

As someone who's becoming increasingly heavily pregnant, I'm not relishing the idea of the extra walk in the morning.. I already leave my house earlier to allow for my slowed pace!
There's now a notice outside the Plat 2 entrance advising of this closure, the date is confirmed as next Tuesday, and estimated to last 8 weeks.

Anyone with mobility issues should contact Southern Assisted Travel on 0800 138 1016 at least 24 hours before travel.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

No worries - my reply was tongue in cheek too! (Although like Mysti, no matter if I intend to leave a few minutes earlier, it just never happens!). :oops:

Re Forest Hill. Yes, I believe the new gates are now in place and operational on Platform 2 - think they had a bit of bother there though due to the contractors overrunning the time spent putting them in... :roll:

'They' are currently sorting out Honor Oak Park too.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

well at least they are putting barriers in and not shutting the gates forever. 8 weeks inconvenience is much preferred to never having access at all.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

or they could have just left the gate open like they had done for the previous decade...

I still fail to see why gates are necessary. I have a vague suspicion that these gates will be left unmanned...so that means I won't be able to get through it when I need to.
Barty

Post by Barty »

If you have a ticket, you will be able to get through the gate.

If you do not, you will have to walk round to the ticket office and buy one, like any law abiding citizen :wink: :lol: :twisted: :wink:
noangel

Post by noangel »

2 men dressed in orange dayglo outfits, mmm nice, were standing looking baffled at the Help Point (and the fence) by the P2 gate this morning.

There's gonna be some disruption on P2 if they're ripping up the Help Point and the fence. I'm frazzled enough in the morning after fighting my way through the barriers at the ticket office. :lol: :twisted:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

there was a southern bloke there the other morning saying that the gate won't be usable for 8 weeks in the near future.