Roadworks EVERYWHERE!!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nickerbockers

Roadworks EVERYWHERE!!!

Post by Nickerbockers »

It occurred to me recently that everyplace I go in SE London lately there's roadworks, my road, i.e. Kent House Road, Sydenham Road, Catford Road, Perry Hill... even further afield. There's even some going on opposite my flat! I just don't know why it's suddenly happening everywhere making London seem more polluted and gridlocked than usual. Anyone noticed the same, and/or have any idea what's going on lately?? :x
sydenhampanther

Post by sydenhampanther »

I've always believed in the urban myth that these companies spend their budget towards the end of their financial year to receive the same funding next year. Sydenham High Street for example had 1-2 minor works throughout the whole year and now all of a sudden there's loads? Seems a bit coincidental. All they are doing is replacing old pipes - thats all well and good but why do it all at once? I have rarely seen them being worked on, making me question how important the works actually are.

'They're never happy unless they're digging a hole' :lol:
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I know it's annoying - but isn't it tied in to the fact that Gordon Brown has decided to roll out a lot of maintenance projects to combat the credit crunch - keep builders in work and all that ... guess we shouldn't grumble ... and when it's done we'll reap the benefit.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Keynesian Macroeconomics...

Keep employing 3 men to dig and hole and then employ a further 3 men to fill it back in and hey presto! You've got full employment.

That and the fact I've never seen the lazy buggers working on any of the deep holes they've dug in the High St. Mind, I've seen them plenty of times milling around looking for somewhere to have a pie and a pint!

I'm sure they need it after a hard morning doing nothing but smoking tabs and standing around!