Sydenham LB Platform

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Andwar

Sydenham LB Platform

Post by Andwar »

This morning I got the 6:40 from Sydenham to London Bridge and the platform was like an ice rink. Dangerous!!!

I thought the idea of having automatic ticket gates and machines was to free up the station staff to deal with other matters. Instead it seems to give them an excuse to stand at the barriers and do nothing all day.

In the old days my Uncle was a Station Master out in Essex and when it snowed he and/or his staff were constantly sweeping the platform clear of snow. Why can't they do that now or would they need a training course on how to use a broom and then perhaps it would need to be risk assessed.

Oh I just thought, that sounds like too much work and we can't be having that can we?
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

It does always strike me as odd to have barriers and then make the person who used to check the tickets stand and watch.
smiler

Post by smiler »

I find it amazing that they have done nothing to deal with the snow/ice on the platforms. Its not as if we didn't all see this cold snap coming. Yet another appalling piece of customer care - don't get me started on Oyster cards......
Monica

Post by Monica »

Yes, were it not for the quick reflexes of a fellow commuter, I would have been under a train on the day before Christmas Eve (ironically on a journey in to sort out my will!). I am a known clutz, in fairness, but it struck me that there had been no attempt to clear the thick ice that had built up right where you step onto the train.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barriers are more labour intensive than no barriers. They have to be manned at all times...
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

An email to tfl did work at the time although it would appear from other posts that this was not for long!
At the time it was black ice which is incredibly dangerous on a platform edge.
Im sure they will be getting a few more emails now.
They were gritting Penge East this morning but it according to the news ice with fresh snow is fairly grit resistent.
Its definately weather for only going out in if you really have to.

Sent: 29 December 2009 17:21
To:
Subject: RE: Gritting of Station Platform Edges

Dear

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry for any distress caused by the snow and ice on the platforms at Sydenham station. Our staff were advised to ensure that the platforms are safe and had been given authorisation to leave their posts to clear the snow. I was very concerned to hear that the staff at Sydenham were not doing this. I have forwarded a copy of your correspondence to the relevant manager to investigate. Please rest assured that this matter will be addressed.

I apologise once again for any distress caused. thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Customer Services Team
London Overground

Sent: 22 December 2009 07:51
To: Overground Info
Subject: Gritting of Station Platform Edges
Importance: High

Hi

I have visited both Sydenham and Penge East rail stations and found that at both stations, no salt / grit has been placed. London Overground have a duty of care to passengers to ensure that platforms are fit for purpose. I have myself witnessed a number of near misses with passengers slipping, this is an accident waiting to happen and should be the key priority for station staff.
Please ensure that prompt action is taken in order that no-one is hurt.
Regards
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Coming through on a train from Victoria yesterday, I noticed most if not all of the platforms on that line had been cleared of snow and ice very thoroughly, so it's obviously not beyond the wit of man to get things cleared.

Whilst the stairs and platforms are certainly better than they were, they're still not clear and platform edges are still potentially hazardous.