Sydenham born

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Maureen

Sydenham born

Post by Maureen »

I was born in Laurel Grove, Sydenham in 1947, as was my Mother and my two brothers. I remember the old Man of Kent Public House, Cuttmores was a little grocery shop on the corner of our road and I remember vividly going in there with Mum. There was a sweetshop in the main road opposite The Man of Kent owned by two sisters, I can't remember their names at the moment. (Just came to me Keffords), I have very fond memories of Sydenham, as my aunts and uncles were all in Hazel and Laurel Grove. I went to St Michael's School for a shortwhile and we moved away when I was about 7 or 8.

When I was 16 I came back to Sydenham as my first job was at R F Sturges & Sons, Steeplejacks, which was just a few doors up from Criterian Ice Cream Parlour and next to Harry's Bike Shop. I worked there for a couple of years until, unfortunately Ron Sturges (my boss) was tragically killed in a motoring accident and the company closed. :D