WHERE DO YOU GO?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHERE DO YOU GO?

Post by leenewham »

I'd like to get some feedback on the reality of how you shop or eat out.

Could you answer the following questions:

When you shop or eat out, do you stay local or travel elsewhere?

If you go elsewhere, where do you go.

How often do you eat out a week?

What's your perception of Crystal Palace?

What's your perception of Sydenham?

Do you go to Beckenham to the cinema or travel into london to see a film?

Thanks.
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

I personally find Crystal Palace a more enticing night time and day time offer particularly when we have friends or family to visit. Medditeranea, Exhibition Rooms, White Hart, and Westow are all favourites of ours and there are an abundance of nice cafes.

I don't think Sydenham suffers in terms of quality as the Dolphin (in particular), Blue Mountain, Gurkhas, That's Amore and Raffaeles all easily compete in terms of VFM, menu and service. The problem in Sydenham is the restricted choice and the general aesthetic of the high street will always leads me to consider alternative destinations.

I must also add that we regularly eat out in East Dulwich and have had our best meals there.

In terms of shopping Sydenham is let down by its lack of independents and fresh quality produce is particularly sparce. This in my view is the high streets biggest problem. We do the odd shop after work in Shoreditch or centrally otherwise we shop online.
bigbadwolf

Re: WHERE DO YOU GO?

Post by bigbadwolf »

"When you shop or eat out, do you stay local or travel elsewhere?"

I do all my food shopping in Savacentre. Eat out? I'm single at the moment so I don't have to. And the only reason I would eat out was if I was about to get w_nkered in the pub and needed a bit of ballast to absorb all the abuse. Or if the pizza mans bike breaks down. Then the chippy it is.

"If you go elsewhere, where do you go."

All over the place. I'm even brave enough to admit the occasional sojourn across the river.

"How often do you eat out a week?"

See above.

"What's your perception of Crystal Palace?"

It's nice and on-the-up, as 'they' say. But I get the feeling that with all the gastro-ing and consequent positive press - that's been occuring of late - they've wasted no time in building their own perceptions of us.

"What's your perception of Sydenham?"

Apart from all the snobby criticism I've spewed all over the place before, it's not that bad. Certainly a lot better than some of the other postcodes Lewisham has to offer i.e - Catford.

"Do you go to Beckenham to the cinema or travel into london to see a film?"

No. I get them all on pirate.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

For groceries, I generally get Ocado deliveries and - for now at least - do some small topup shopping at any one of Savacentre, Tesco on Kirkdale or Somerfield, depending on what I need
For health food supplies, I go to Wellbeing.
Hair, I go to Mastercutters
Treatments, when I can, I go to Inspire Beauty
Coffee, I go to Sugahill
Eating out, we go to The Dolphin, Trattoria Raffaele, Gurkhas and Bridge House unless we are meeting friends who live further afield
Gifts, I go to the excellent (and newly discovered) Alhambra

We tend to go to Crystal Palace or East Dulwich

Since we had our baby daughter, usually once

I really like Crystal Palace. Some great gift shops have opened up there
Although I think Sydenham beats it for pubs/ eating out/ coffee shops

I think Sydenham is still really down at heel but I truly believe its location, green spaces and transport links will see it really improve in coming years

I would travel to London to see a movie - or go to one of the Picture Houses. Although now we have a child, this will probably next happen in 2015...
Last edited by MiniFox on 23 Mar 2010 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
ALIB

Re: WHERE DO YOU GO?

Post by ALIB »

For groceries, Sainsburys in FH, or Waitrose in Beckenham. Bits and pieces are picked up from local shops.

Gift items and furniture from Bronmley Glades or Croydon Whitgift

We eat out about once a month

Crystal palace has Sainsburys and lots of good places to eat out. I have to admit, Crystal Palace is the preferred destination for a meal

A few real 'stand out' businesses, with lots of 'lower end' shops and empty retail space. (my perception, not necessarily based in fact)

Wait for the DVD to come out
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If you feel uneasy writing the results in the forum, feel free to pm me with your answers.

Some people have already.

I posted this on Virtual Norwood and had a great response. Does this mean more people care about CP than Sydenham?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

You might get a better response, Lee, if you explained why you wanted the information and what you're going to do with it when you've got it.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

He'll be selling it to the highest bidder. Obviously.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Eating out: Trattoria Raffaels; Ghurkas; Blue Mountain
Takeaway: Golden city; Ghurkas
Beer and chats with friends: Dolphin

BUT ... I find Crystal Palace more 'buzzy' - I love that cheeky little french bar downstairs in Numidie
Sydenham needs an Exhibition Bar or a the Greyhound needs to be more like that big pub on the corner; sort of opposite CP park.

For a 'big night out' I love 176ing it to Lordship Lane.

I also love a Saturday afternoon trip to Borough Market (15 mins on the train is pretty bloody convenient!)

Sydenham needs another restaurant or two and another 'trendy/quality' bar or two.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

For a 'big night out' I love 176ing it to Lordship Lane.
Or - 'The Strip', as it's known in its locale.
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

I am definitely more concerned about Sydenham than CP...and I don't mind sharing my habits.

Eating out - a couple of times a week generally. If in Sydenham then The Dolphin, sometimes Trattoria Raffaels or the Dartmouth. I think there is better food in East Dulwich or Central London though.
Shopping- Sava or Waitrose or online or for special meals in doors then Borough Market or East Dulwich
If I go elsewhere then I go to East Dulwich or Central London, apart from Numidie in CP then I really don't go up there and find it easier to get home from East Dulwich too- I don't like waiting at the bus stops at CP.
Cinema- Brixton or Clapham Picture houses or up to town
My perception of Sydenham? That with so many people on this site willing the quality to improve then I've every confidence that it will do so :wink:
stuart

Post by stuart »

I go get fresh bread, fruit and stuff from Somerfields (walking or cycling) and occasionally Lidl (great cycle gear sale this week!). Big shops are at Penge Sainsburys (hate Savacentre) and when i can persuade the senior management team - Beckenham Waitrose.

We don't eat out much but have enjoyed Trat R, Amore, Gurkahs. Occasionally go to Sugahill.

That's about it I'm afraid. It's the trafffic that ruins the road IMHO. Without the inconvenient and dangerous on-street parking one might appreciate a more spacious and not unattractive vista. A place to visit, shop, eat and drink rather than speed through.

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Obviously you jest BBW!...but just incase, how can I sell information on an open public forum and who would buy it?.

Local businesses don't conduct many surveys, if any. To my knowledge there is no information on the habits of the local populations of Sydenham and Crystal Palace.

I hear a lot about consensus results and 'we just can't sustain' local business. But when I speak to people, lots of people just don't shop or eat out in Sydenham, they seem to spend their money elsewhere. I think the reasons why people go elsewhere, and the reasons why people stay loyal to Sydenham and the perceptions of people in other areas of Sydenham are incredibly important, and may help influence local businesses to improve.

Some people say that how a business presents itself isn't important. I disagree. Businesses have to get product, service AND presentation right. We are spending millions of public money to do up the high street. But none of that money will improve how the shops look.

This is one view from the Virtual Norwood forum which has the most often repeated word associated with Sydenham:
['i]Nice houses dotted around but the high street is really looking shabby... 10 years back I would have said the opposite. A tad scarey to walk down on a night time...'[/i]

The word most associated with Sydenham High Street seems to be 'SHABBY'.

I think that's a problem. I think it's important to fix it to capitalize on the ELL and the millions spend on road improvements.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

but just incase, how can I sell information on an open public forum and who would buy it?.
Sod knows. Although if I were to go about the transaction you've enquired upon, I'd cover my back by seeking Bensonby's counsel on the matter before proceeding. As I'm sure you would too.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I shop at Fresh and Fruity on the high street for fruit and veg, or Istanbul, both the one on the high street and the one further down - we also buy pitta and humous and other bits from them.

We get our hardware from the hardware shop or the pound shop nearest the cake store. We buy fresh bread every Saturday from the Cake store.

We use somerfield more for bits and bobs now they have chaged to co-op as believe in this brand moreso.

We do our big shops on-line via Sainsbury's.

We eat out locally if it's just the two of us, usually ar Raff's or Ghurkas - we recently discovered Garam Masala and were more than happy, we also love the Dolphin. If it's a special occasion we sometimes go into town, or just stick local

Town.

Probably 2-3 times a month.

Nice to wander round, pubs look quite good, nice little shps and a cool second hand scene.

Needs a good wash. New shop fronts, some care and some investement.

No - we go either into town or to Peckham.
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

leenewham - I agree with you, and a good example of this is the Bellenden Regeneration Scheme. Managed by Southwark Council it aimed to improve the presentation of shops and residential frontages with grants and loans and it has changed the area completely. They also worked with local artists to improve street furniture and lighting. Check it out, they even have a Payless...

http://www.urbandesigncompendium.co.uk/ ... arealondon
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ah...forgot something...

We go to East Dulwich, William Rose to be precise to buy all our meat once a month.

G-Man
helenback

Post by helenback »

Travel elsewhere. Very occasionally the Dolphin or White Hart (CP)

If you go elsewhere, where do you go
Town

Once or twice

Busy, loads of pubs and restaurants, some quirky shops.

Really far away. I live in darkest Lower Sydders. Not much incentive to walk over there.

Beckenham
poppy

Post by poppy »

In response to Raven Drone, if you or anyone else is really interested in finding out more about projects like the one you mention at Bellenden Road, I would suggest contacting Southwark councillors (or others) involved directly.

I contacted one in East Dulwich about street trees. She took a while to get back but was excellent. She gave me a contact at Southwark, an officer who I emailed, who got a colleague to call me back the very next day.

I passed on this info to Lewisham and it took ages and a bit of prodding to get any response back from Chris Best, with the usual "there may be too many underground cables etc" and the officer involved in the Sydenham road regeneration project I contacted never responded at all.

If anyone else is passionate about the need for greenery and what I found out, feel free to pm me... :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Please continue with the responses to the survey on this thread, I've started a separate one about the "Bellenden Regeneration Scheme".