The Conservative Case

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

The Conservative Case

Post by admin »

This thread is for Conservative candidates or their representatives to put their case and answer questions.

Questions should be polite and non-argumentative. If you wish to argue the point please open a new thread on the subject.

Admin
Last edited by admin on 14 May 2010 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ross Archer

Conservative Case: Candiate Ross Archer

Post by Ross Archer »

Hi my name is Ross Archer and I am one of the Conservative Council Candidates for Sydenham. I have lived in Sydenham for over 10 years, and am actively involved in the local community through being a Local Education Authority Governor of Adamsrill Primary School, and an Assistant Scout Leader with 15th Sydenham Scout Group.

The Local Conservative Party has a local website where you can look at the candidate’s profile, and all our policies it is www.westlewishamandpengeconservatives.com
As well our Mayoral Candidate for Lewisham Simon Nundy has a website you can look at which is www.nundy4mayor.com
Our candidate for the General election in West Lewisham and Penge is Chris Phillips, for the Lewisham Mayoral elections it is Simon Nundy, and for the local Council elections it is Ross Archer, Eddie Capone, and Dan Tubb.

Our main polices for Sydenham, and locally are:
•That we broadly agree and accept the plans for Sydenham High Street Regeneration, however we do not agree with and question the proposal to put in speed tables, and reduce the road width down to seven metres. And we want to see more done to reduce Congestion.
•If Simon Nundy gets in as our Mayoral Candidate than we plan to cut Council Tax by 5% in the first year.
•Also put an end to the Labour Council’s disgraceful record on recycling where Labour run Lewisham is ranked 374th out of 394 Councils in the UK on recycling.
•Also we will listen to local residents, and take their opinions and points on board when making decisions.

If you have any questions, queries, or points you want to raise please contact us

77 Dartmouth Road
London
SE23 3HT

Call us on 020 8699 4041

or email us at wlpca@yahoo.co.uk
Or email us at sydenhamconservatives@hotmail.com
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Ross,

I'd like to know why you oppose the speed tables and reduction in width of Sydenham road.

As I understand it, the road is being slightly reduced at crossing points which means it takes less time for pedestrians to cross which means that the traffic has to stop for less time and therefore it will reduce congestion.

The road is really only one lane anyway except for the turning into Mayow Park Road, Newlands Park and the roundabout in Kirkdale.

I'd also like to know:

Do you support the local assembly's?

Do you support the Sydenham road scheme being extended down to Kent House Road?

Aside from the speed tables and the reduction in width are there any other issues you have with the scheme?

What other ideas do you have to help local business and the high street in general?

Would your opposition to some aspects of the scheme delay it? If not do we have assurances on this?

What are your views on a town centre manager? Would you revise the scheme so we have a dedicated Sydenham Town Centre Manager for instance?
Ross Archer

Post by Ross Archer »

Hi

We oppose the speed tables as we believe they are not very good for emergency vehicles, and a lot of emergency vehicles will use Sydenham Road as it’s quite a main road. And also we do not feel they are really needed on Sydenham Road. We opposing the narrowing as we feel it will mean fewer cars will be able to park, and that will have a knock on effect on the businesses in the road. This is as many people using Sydenham High Street will be using cars.

We will support extending the plan down to Kent House Road, but also we cannot forget the other high street Kirkdale, and would like to see what could be done there.

Yes we do support the general principles of local Assemblies; the Scout Group I help out at, 15th Sydenham has been a beneficiary of the Local Assemblies.

Also to help support local businesses we think that planning applications should be streamlined, and have better promotion of the area.

Our opposition of certain aspects of the Regeneration Plan should not delay it. And on the issue of a Sydenham Town Centre Manager, do have dedicated one depends on a lot of issues such as the economic situation. So we will have to see what we can do if we are so fortunate as to get elected.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Hi Ross

Im asking most Candidated these questions:

What do you think on:

Transport issues like the Trams going to Crystal Palace and the reduction of London Bridge trains which is really your parties fault for basically forcing Southern to reduce trains for your (which I feel unneeded) very high frequency to Dalston on the East London Line, I'm all for the ELL but not the frequency.

About improving safety by installing traffic lights on the Kirkdale/Dartmouth Road intersection would provide a better crossing than provided on this busy road.

About improving parks like Baxters field (behind Sydenham girls school) which looks rubbish compared to Wells Park and Home Park is also not in great condition.

About attracting more useful shops to Sydenham. Yes, this is not Croydon but surly more than Pound shops, cafe's and takeaways can be attracted to come here.

About adding school places in Sydenham to over subscribed schools.

I'd also like to say that I'm not for giving money to married couples, it proves nothing as people can be married but unhappy and wastes £500m a year which could go to something useful. I'm also not for closing Surestart and I'm not a huge fan of the Conservatives, what can you do to get people to vote tories from 3rd to 1st in this area?

Best
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

OK, just a few more questions:

Did you go to the exhibition in Sydenham Road about the improvements? How many parking spaces do you 'feel' will be lost by the scheme? as when I went it was negliable.

What information do you have that most people shopping in Sydenham Road do so by car? Is this information you would care to share? Did you do a survey?

How would you promote the area? What sort of businesses do you think Sydenham needs and how would you attract them?

Do you have any plans or ideas for what to do with Empty shops in Sydenham?

Thanks

Lee
Ross Archer

Post by Ross Archer »

On Sydenham High Street I did got to the exhibition, and do feel that car users would lose out. But if you want further information on our policy you can go to our websites and that will give you more detail on our policy. And yes we will try and support local businesses, and new businesses to set up on the local high streets. Also I do agree with the earlier point that we do want some different calibre of shops in the high street.

On the other issues of transport again you can look at the two websites above and that will give you our policy on transport. On the traffic light idea we would have to look at all plans in detail before deciding. Yes we will do all we can to support and improve local parks.

About our school and family policy you can look at the above websites, or at www.conservatives.com
And closing surestart is not a Conservative policy.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

**EDIT**

just read Admins comments about being non-argumentative...

A lot of empty shops are located in the Sydenham and Forest Hill areas. What measure would the Tpries promote in order to fill these properties and make the High Streets more vibrant and welcoming ?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I'm not sure if we're allowed to "come back" on these threads, so admin please delete if that's the case.

-----------
Chazza - not deleted - but moved to its own thread by AndIherebyDeclare
Ross Archer

Post by Ross Archer »

I would urge you to please look at the above links to the sites, and you will get more of an idea of our policies and reasoning for them.

Also we support progressive transport policies, but we do not feel that those two meausres as stated above are good for Sydenham High Street. We broadly agree with te plans as stated above for the Regeenration of Sydenham High Street funded by the Conservative Mayor of London Boris Johnson. But do not agree with those two aspects. If you look at the above sites you will get more of our polices and thoughts on the issue.