North Kirkdale area 20mph zone

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

North Kirkdale area 20mph zone

Post by Robin Orton »

I have just had a leaflet through the door inviting comments on the council proposal for introducing a 20mph zone in the area bounded by Derby Hill, Derby Hill Crescent, Featherstone Avenue, Thorpewood Avenue, Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road. (The area straddles SE23 and SE26, so I intend to put a similar posting on the SE23 forum.) This would be enforced by installing speedhumps in Derby Hill, Derby Hill Crescent, Featherstone Avene, Radlet Avenue (which the council still don't know how to spell) and Round Hill.(There are already speedhumps on Thorpewood Avenue, where there is of course a potential road safety issue around Eliot Bank and Holy Trinity schools.)

No special reason (e.g. incidence of accidents in the area) is given for this proposal, other than that the council has 'a programme to introduce 20mph zones, wherever practical, throughout the borough's residential areas.'

I'm not convinced. I certainly don't see the need for speedhumps in Radlet Avenue and Round Hill, both of which are cul-de-sacs. My inclination is to suggest to the council that they don't proceed with this, and offset the saving against proposed cuts in other council services (closing Sydenham Library?) But I'd be interested to know what others feel.
Likelife

Re: North Kirkdale area 20mph zone

Post by Likelife »

I live on the other side of Kirkdale on this proposed area you mention and I think its unneeded, when was the last time a accident happened in this part of Sydenham? Fair enough you do get the odd idiot on Kirkdale speeding but its not common. This is just the council wasting money when it could (like you say) go towards Sydenham library. Would this affect Kirkdale or is this just the boarder? Because if it does I should of had a leaflet about this, as the only way to leave my road is Kirkdale.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No, Kirkdale itself won't be affected.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Without trying to patronise anyone, I grew up on Derby Hill Cresent. So I think I'm one of the better qualified to write on the matter.

This is probably one of the more bizarre proposals put forward by Lewisham council. And I'd be even more surprised if our local MP's didn't concur. As there are already many blind-spots for considerate motorists to worry about, let alone reckless drivers. Aswell as there being too many sharp corners and several narrow, steep stretches at regular intervals to accomodate any excessive speed or boisterous maneuvering.

And for what it's worth, I can't remember seeing or hearing of any serious accidents or collisions.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

A lot of money seems to be spent on these sort of schemes which appear to have limited value. I wonder if the projects aren't thought up by the contractors rather than the council?

The recent work down by the Horniman is a case in point. Take a very popular local attraction and rip out half of the parking spaces on the surrounding streets at enormous cost. Can't see how anyone thought this was a good idea....