The Greyhound

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

The Greyhound

Post by Guest »

The following was received anonymously:

I have read some pathetic comments about the Greyhound Public House. For quite some time Sydenham residents have complain about the Greyhound Pub and that they want change. There has been a new landlady there for about a year now, she has created the changes and has got rid of the 'chavs' and the 'blue' paint, but have any of you actually taken the time to start drinking at your local now that you have got what you want. No, instead you just look around Sydenham to find more to complain about.

Get real, I have been in Sydenham for five years. I have drunk at the Greyhound for as long and now for the first time in those five years i can say it is a family pub, so how is it that now that you have the change you asked for, the best you can do is complain about children being in the pub. It is a family pub, and now my family and I drink and dine at the Greyhound on a very regular basis.
The Eagle

Greyhound near Cobbs Corner?

Post by The Eagle »

Are we talking about the same pub?
So who smashed the windows on the front doors last month?
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

Aesthetically, yes the Greyhound has improved but the staff are still more concerned about messing around behind the bar and the 'managers' walk off and start wandering round the pub when your waiting to be served.

Personally I would never take my family somewhere where the toilets are as bad as they are in the Greyhound. I can only speak for the gents here.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yes The Greyhound has improved. I think most people here have agreed that. The paint job, and the new sign are very welcome. It is my local and I did try it out. But I'm old fashioned enough to expect draught beer in a pub. That is what they were created to sell.

That is why I have to turn the other way and walk up to the much less convenient DWH or risk cancer in the very dark & smoky GL.

It seems no one wants in Sydenham to serve a simple drinker's need. Contrast that with my frequent visits to Belgium. Wonderful varied and very tasteful beers served with aplomb, accompanied by wonderful food in pleasant surroundings and convivial company - and never a drunk to be seen.

Stuart
pekingduck

I've tried it

Post by pekingduck »

After the changes that were made to the Greyhound we went in twice to sample the delights but have to say we weren't very impressed with the changes made, and both times had to sup our pint whilst listening to loud R&B music. The second time we went I had to fight my way out of the pub past a group of hooded youths - not the family pub atmosphere I was expecting. I am more than happy to support the pub but I have to feel safe in order to do that.

:?
c

Re: Greyhound near Cobbs Corner?

Post by c »

The Eagle wrote:Are we talking about the same pub?
So who smashed the windows on the front doors last month?

Probably our ex neighbour or her friends and family!:lol: Don't know if she still drinks in there, but think she used to spend most of her time in there, and there's a definite correlation between her and broken windows:
Rumour has it that the council came out to fix her broken front window 22 times in the time she lived in the house next door to ours. The most spectacular breaking of her front window was when two men jumped out of it and then tried to kill each other! Someone even threw a brick through her window a week after she'd gone!
Jack

AGREED

Post by Jack »

It takes more than a tin of paint to make a pub.

Music still caters for the under 16's

More than once I've been blanked by bar staff who were happy messing about in the kitchen while I stood at an empty bar for ten minutes.

And you don't go to a pub to watch TV. To get away from it may be.

Sadly not impressed. And just when Sydenham was looking up.