2010 Sydenham grape harvest and winemaking

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tim Lund

2010 Sydenham grape harvest and winemaking

Post by Tim Lund »

I notice an offer for wine appreciation classes - http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 778#p40778 - but as many readers of these pages will know, for about twenty years some tenants at Kent House Leisure gardens have been growing their own grapes and making wine with them. I hesitate to say Les is the best, because it might upset the others, but the 2009 Sauvignon Blanc I had some of last Sunday was pretty good - and so also, he says, was his Pinot Noir.

Some time in the next three weeks it will be time to pick this year's grapes, but exactly when is hard to say, because it depends on the weather. However, if anyone who can be flexible wants to come down to the Kent House Leisure Gardens when Les and others are harvesting, pm, email or phone me, and I will let you know when. You should also be able to ask any questions you might have about vine growing and wine making - what varieties to choose, where to plant them, how to look after them, how to prune, problems with disease, harvesting, what yeasts to use, whether you need to add sugar, hygiene, what equipment, etc.

Of course you can make life easier for yourself by just growing a dessert grape, which is what these are that I am now growing.

The variety is 'Black Hamburgh', well known for being disease resistant. They were a cutting from another Kent House Leisure Gardens tenant, so I should be able to supply cuttings if anyone wants.

(A complimentary bunch for anyone who can identify what plant that it whose leaves are intruding bottom left of the picture)

Admin - let me know if you think this should be in 'Offers'
lbere

Re: 2010 Sydenham grape harvest and winemaking

Post by lbere »

My friend and I attended the open day a couple of weeks ago and were shown the winery and were given a glass of wine to drink (not sure who it was who showed us around) which was very nice.

The vines that are growing amazed the kids.

Well worth a visit on the next open day.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think it was John who showed you round - who's the person who gets me to post on Croydon Sailing Club Open Days.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I've just harvested the pears on my tree and have loads of them. I've decided to try and make them into perry. Don't suppose anyone has a cider press I could borrow?
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Tim

Might the leaves belong to a citrus plant of sorts?

W. Wonder
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well done W Wonder. It's an orange, grown from a pip - but I'm not expecting it ever to fruit. Certainly hasn't ever flowered. Pm to collect your prize!

Stone-penge - I don't know that we do have such a press at KHLG, and I'm not the person to say you could use it, but I'll pm with the contact details of our site manager. Someone who certainly has had access to a press is Ian White from One Tree Hill allotments. Contact details are here http://www.othas.org.uk/contact.html - or you might catch him at the upcoming Open House weekend in Walters Way