music lessons for 7 yr old

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SydenhamHillAndy

music lessons for 7 yr old

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

My 7 year old has been showing interest in learning a musical instrument, and I am not really sure what the next step is? Does one google a piano teacher? Where I grew up in Holland, one went to the local music school, so feel a little at sea here, and overwhelmed by choice :)

Someone recommended recorder lessons (quite keen on that as we don't have a piano!)... any views or advice would be gratefully received.
Tim Lund

Re: music lessons for 7 yr old

Post by Tim Lund »

I'm pm'ing you with the details of a local recorder teacher - also involved with an organisation called CYM - Centre for Young Musicians.

People will be very rude about recorders, because most people only hear them played badly by children as a first instrument. I used to play recorder in a group, and for a while it was really enjoyable, but the standard started to slide, and then it wasn't. Recorders are good to start with because a plastic recorder is cheap, can make a good sound, and doesn't break or get dented. The brands are Yamaha and Aulos - you'll find loads in the Dulwich Music Shop.