Intergenerational injustice

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Intergenerational injustice

Post by Eagle »

I think many types of single parents.

Those who start of married and partner dies or moves on are not in the same category as the professional single Mum's who never marry and sponge of the state.
Once you have one baby on benefit you might as well have 6 or 7.

Benefit and family allowance should be for child one and two and possible reduced rate for three but nothing for any more.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sfhyouthforum wrote:Tim - you are so right about the inflated prices and when people are so rich and the banks' interest doesn't return their savings, a house (many sitting empty) is the best investment. Makes me so angry!
Given that house prices are inflated, buying houses is not that great an investment. Some people being very rich needn't be a problem for you either. Your real problem are the vested interests wanting to keep property prices up. Should you manage to scrape together enough for a deposit, and buy somewhere, you'll understand - you then will also not want house prices to readjust down. You won't be rich, but you'll be part of the reason governments won't want prices to fall - as well as now wanting to have to bail out the banks again.

The way it's done is by keeping interest rates artificially low, and restricting the supply of new housing, where there is demand for it, e.g. in London, from people like you. The people who can help you are property developers - probably rich already - who manage to find their way through the various regulatory hoops and put up new development - e.g. Purelake developing the Greyhound site - and then sell on the flats, rather than hang on to them.

Don't worry about their moral sentiments - just hope for the benefit of their invisible hand :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do agree to sell the flats would be better than to rent them.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Well I've come to the conclusion that you can't have it all in life. If you are not fortunate enough to have a wealthy relative, then 37 years old is about the age you buy your first property. That's it. Swallowed and pressing on!