Seating tactics on the overground

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mosy

Re: Seating tactics on the overground

Post by mosy »

I broke into an ongoing grin whilst reading this. :D

It must strike a chord with anyone who's witnessed the antics of people who want seats - or who steadfastly want to stay near the doors. Perhaps we should share our funny stories.

If you compare the old "slam door" commuter trains where each compartment had its own door, that's very different from now when a commuter could be stuck at the end of a carriage with no chance of fighting his/her way to the exit so, on some crowded trains, a seat is the last thing you'd want, lol.

Getting a seat would be almost worth recording like a Googlewhack though. "I got one!"
JRobinson

Re: Seating tactics on the overground

Post by JRobinson »

I always try to get on at the most southern carriage (going north on the Overground), as it's less distance to walk at the Sydenham end, and less distance when I get off at Whitechapel - however, several other stops are good for this carriage so it's normally full, and therefore sometimes I'll walk the entire length of the train once on, between Sydenham and Forest Hill, as there are usually people standing in the last carriage, but seats available in the first - all seats are full north of Forest Hill. The other alternative is to leave the house before half seven, or after 9 am, then not as many people getting on the train and a lot more chance of a seat.