oppressed minorities, I don't think

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
a_baron

oppressed minorities, I don't think

Post by a_baron »

So the hand of pink censorship extends even to Sydenham.

I rest my case.
Voyageur

Re: oppressed minorities, I don't think

Post by Voyageur »

Well if you posted something offensive or against the forum guidelines it stands to reason that action might be taken.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I know I am thick but what is this about?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The censorship was the deletion of a post leading to a link to a limerick about homosexuality. It would have been removed if the limerick had been describing heterosexual or any other activity or group in a similar extremely tasteless vein. So I'm afraid the OP is mistaken.

I hope he can accept my word on that I'm colour blind on this issue.

Admin
simon

Post by simon »

On another thread I've been accused of being a pervert and a poor speller. :oops:
I'm not worried about the first bit but the thread has been locked so I can't question the second accusation, nor correct any mistakes, if in fact there were any.
Still don't get David Irving being a Zionist agent :o
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

simon wrote:I'm not worried about the first bit but the thread has been locked so I can't question the second accusation, nor correct any mistakes,
You spelled baron as barron.

No big deal but it's a no go on forums, it can ruin your impact.
simon

Post by simon »

Oh thanks for that Mike, guy can't even spell his own name correctly :lol:
Personally, I'm against pulling up posters for their spelling as it leads to a form of snobbery whereby anyone without formal education is ridiculed. I would take more notice of Mr Baron's pedantry if he’d managed to spell invitation correctly in his OP.
I’m more interested in this idea of David Irving as a Zionist agent; last I heard he was nicked for holocaust denial in Austria. Hardly behavior consistent with being an agent of Zionism.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I have no idea what the original subject of this thread was, but I just want to say I completely agree with Simon about pulling people up about their spelling. I think it's discriminatory and just plain bad manners.(Though I must confess I was tempted when a stuffed shirt on another thread accused us of being mature and proffesional (sic) ... or not, which made him not want to play with us any more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I may add that I too frown on commenting on other poster's grammar or spelling. One cannot be sure that English is the poster's first language and this forum can only benefit from contributions from everyone in the community regardless of education.

I know bad grammar can irritate some. All I ask is that bear the pain quietly but post the most beautiful and exact English they can in retaliation. Good English is easier to read than write and we can all learn from seeing good examples of it.

Admin
fanillier

Post by fanillier »

Kudos admin!

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

fanillier wrote:Kudos admin!

Amen to that. I sincerely hope the OP will just go away and stop subjecting us to his hate-mongering.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The only time it is permissible to correct spelling or grammar is when the perpetrator was themselves atop a high horse on the subject.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

marymck wrote:I have no idea what the original subject of this thread was, but I just want to say I completely agree with Simon about pulling people up about their spelling. I think it's discriminatory and just plain bad manners.(Though I must confess I was tempted when a stuffed shirt on another thread accused us of being mature and proffesional (sic) ... or not, which made him not want to play with us any more.
Which would be a shame, because even people who on first encountering might seem like a "stuffed shirt" may just not have got the feel for where the interactions are taking place, in this instance on this Forum. So I hope Jaden comes back.

Re pulling people up on their spelling being discriminatory - yes, but there's another more insidious kind of snobbery - of those who have benefited from a schooling where correct spelling was insisted upon, forever after looking down on those who haven't - and oh so politely never letting those others know that they are being looked down upon. I'm not sure how to tackle this particular snobbery - my former alias 'Bram' was an attempt which clearly failed - see my obit for him, where my main point was
If only there was a way to take [poor spellers] on one side and explain to them that [not caring does] them no favours, and that the remedy is in their hands, because they are not stupid, in the same way Bram was not.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I suspect that there is an innate aptitude, a kind of specific visual memory skill, which makes it easier for some people than others to spell correctly, however thoroughly or otherwise they may have been taught (or have taught themselves), to spell. Such people can, almost always, immediately and effortlessly recognize that a word they have written 'looks wrong'; they can then corect it, or, if necessery, look it up.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Or install a chell specker.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Sometimes people are in a hurry, as other stuff-Life, for example takes up their time rather than worry about spellings, I am an example of this,sometimes I am typing and think how the hell do you spell that? not that i can't spell it normally but I have a senior moment and its gone.
also thats what having a bad education doe's for you, I was great at primary school, but secondary was terrible,I blame the teachers for this, as I was willing at the time to knuckle down and learn,we had a maths teacher who used to walk in the class-then walk out again because some of the girls wouldn't be quiet,no discipline in class,terrible waste of years.
Perhaps Admin could help us poor, uneducated, lower class idiots by putting spell check alongside the list of options? :oops: Oh! and Grammer would help to.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Haha, you beat me to it Mike
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie wrote: ... I blame the teachers ...
You can blame teachers up to a point, but I never paid much attention to them anyway, even though I was at a good school, so in my case, the fault was all mine. That in later life I've become a reasonably good speller is simply because I made an effort - and had nothing to do with schooling.
Robin Orton wrote:I suspect that there is an innate aptitude, a kind of specific visual memory skill, which makes it easier for some people than others to spell correctly, however thoroughly or otherwise they may have been taught (or have taught themselves), to spell. Such people can, almost always, immediately and effortlessly recognize that a word they have written 'looks wrong'; they can then corect it, or, if necessery, look it up.
I'm assuming here, Robin, that you deliberately spelled 'corect' incorrectly? Yes - obviously - and in fact I had to have a second look to see you'd also mis-spelled necessary. Which kind of makes your point.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It may have not been the teachers Annie

I had a brilliant French teacher, I worked hard at French and I go to France a lot. Result? Appalling French. That is my French is great, just that the French don't seem to understand it.

Whereas other subjects were so easy that you didn't have to bother applying yourself. Result is one can a trifle slapdash at these too ... and when you have a forename and surname that can both be spelt two ways - one has to forgive friends who get it wrong. Or I'd have no friends. Oh, wait ..

Merry Christmas,
Adnim
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I'm assuming here, Robin, that you deliberately spelled 'corect' incorrectly? Yes - obviously - and in fact I had to have a second look to see you'd also mis-spelled necessary.
Well spoted, Tim.