Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: Antic pubs have withdrawn from the Greyhound

Post by G-Man »

simon wrote: I really don't think we need another cafe up there and I'm sure the owners of Sugarhill and Blue Mountain would agree. It may be possible to convert the basement to a kitchen but a pub selling real ale, decent wines and lagers with some food also available would be a boon in my opinion.
Back to topic. I was thinking the same thing Simon, but then worried about how the beer would be kept :? I'm sure there is a way, not being a publican myself, and with good ole refrigeration these days :D It doesn't need to be a massive kitchen either as it might not be able to do that many covers. A limited menu with the food done well is a winner in my book.

So, next steps? Can the Sydenham Society comment on what they are doing?

G-Man
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

simon wrote:It may be possible to convert the basement to a kitchen but a pub selling real ale, decent wines and lagers with some food also available would be a boon in my opinion.
In one of my previous posts I've pointed out that the planning permission appears to be for use of the entire pub building as a pub or restaurant, including the first floor. The drawings to which the decision notice refers show the first floor laid out with a pub/restaurant kitchen and customer toilets.

If I'm correct, I've no idea why Acorn are marketing only the basement and ground floor as a pub. I have emailed them, as well as Purelake (the developer) seeking clarification, but no response yet!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As far as I am aware the upstairs has never been in use by the public. Presumably originally hotel bedrooms the staff quarters

May be the floor would require a lot of reinforcing if use changed
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Mr Biscuit,
I was wondering if they had change of use for the upstairs. Aren't there enough flats on the site now?
I note that Acorn's decription says; "The property benefits from high footfall and vehicle traffic and as such would be ideal as a coffee shop, restaurant/cafe, convienence store or similar."
Not a pub I notice.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I used to love Watney's Red Barrel - one had to, if one wanted to be one of the Upper Sixth 'in crowd' . Fresh, cool, zingy and, above all, new. The old 'squares' could keep their Ansell's Mild and their Mackesons!

Sorry, yes, back to the Greyhound. Sorry. Yes, I agree, dreadful.
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

I don't think a Weatherspoon would do any favours for the area - no atmosphere, bland food, cheap booze early in the morning. I'm surprised it get's so much support.

Very sad to hear Antics have pulled out. I think a Sam Smiths would be the perfect answer!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

simon wrote:Thanks Mr Biscuit,
I was wondering if they had change of use for the upstairs. Aren't there enough flats on the site now?
I note that Acorn's decription says; "The property benefits from high footfall and vehicle traffic and as such would be ideal as a coffee shop, restaurant/cafe, convienence store or similar."
Not a pub I notice.
A good question. I actually checked the online planning records a couple of days ago and couldn't see any subsequent applications for change of use of the first floor to residential.

I also spoke to one of the agents at Acorn early this evening who said that they were simply marketing what the developer had instructed them to market. I wonder whether Acorn have considered why the plans show a staircase inside the pub between the ground and first floor...

I'll try to speak to someone at Purelake tomorrow (Friday).
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:I'll try to speak to someone at Purelake tomorrow (Friday).
A rather rude man at Purelake was unable to help me with my enquiry when I called today. Not a great advertisement for the firm, I must say.

I'll contact Cllr Best and the Sydenham Society to see if they are able to help me clarify the situation. Perhaps Purelake will at least be polite to them, which is more than they could manage with me.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite a bit about this in Syd Soc Mag.

Apparently Sainsbury are going to lead retailer in the flats. Good to have another Sainsbury nearest must be 10 miles away

Apparently purelake are rebuilding the whole back wall of the Greyhound along with the chimney pot.

They say building will be structurally sound and brickwork chemically cleaned. What more could you want
multisync

Post by multisync »

Another Sainsbury that's all we bloody need,they have the monopoly in retail in this area already.Let's have something different
dickp

Post by dickp »

I have to say, i am looking forward to sainsburys arrival. For those of us in upper sydenham, we currently have the choice between the dubious delights of payless or a trek over to kirkdale for our top up shop up the way home from work.

Obviously, m&s or waitrose would have been amazing, but sainburys is much better than we have now. I wonder if the competition will bother to raise its game, or wil it get crushed by the sainsburys alternative.....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Jackief24

Post by Jackief24 »

I agree, Sainsbury's isn't a bad result. It's not ideal (what happened Antic??!) and I hope locals will continue to support the greengrocer's on the High St.

But it's a darn site better than say, another pound shop, a charity shop, a grocers/mobile phone accessory/shisha pipe shop or worse - an unsightly bordered up pub!

Plus, Sainsbury's will create jobs (more prospects for a young person in retail than in a pub, on the whole) and we'll just have to make sure we keep shopping at the independents where we can.

Let's accept it and live by the Sydenham mantra; It Could Be Worse.
JoePineapples

Post by JoePineapples »

Woohoo! Great! Another supermarket...just what Sydenham really needs...there's Tesco on Kirkdale, the Co-Op on the high street and the superstore down the road. Personally I'd have preferred another decent pub; there's not a whole lot of choice round here, unlike Cryssy Palace which seems to be busting at the seems with bars and restuarants.
At least a pound shop or grocers would be a local business, rather than another bit of real estate in a conglomerate's portfolio. What a shame...
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I am going to be (unusually) provocative. :D

A lot of people who post on here don't seem to be representative of the general populace who live in the locale.
When the Woodman re-opened around 2008, a lot of people on here were singing its praises (including me). Ultimately, it sank without trace due to lack of use.
It's all very well people stating on STF what they want, but you actually have to use the shops/services once thay are here.
Oh, the applauds when the Co-Op moved into the old Safeway on Sydenham Road. Then the complaints that the prices were too high, service not good enough,..etc,etc.

A Sainsbury's is a move in the right direction. Independent shops wil have to "up-their-game", which they are well able to do.

Self-righteous rant over :D
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Jackief24 wrote:I agree, Sainsbury's isn't a bad result. It's not ideal (what happened Antic??!)
I think this is about the retail space next to the pub building, not the Greyhound itself, so we could still get the pub we all want.

As for the Woodman, the Fox is still there and doing okay, so not sure what they were doing wrong, perhaps the people running it didn't have the right vision or business acumen. Since 2008 the population has changed dramatically, and the roundabout is a fantastic location for a pub, up the hill not so sure.

So back to the Greyhound?

G-Man
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

JoePineapples wrote:Personally I'd have preferred another decent pub; there's not a whole lot of choice round here, unlike Cryssy Palace which seems to be busting at the seems with bars and restuarants.
To the best of my understanding, Sainsbury's will be taking space on the ground floor of the new residential building. The pub remains available.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Oh no, another supermarket? Sainsbury's? Pah, what we need is a bookies/nail bar/chicken shack...

We will never get an M&S or Waitrose because the high street is not exactly a nice place to shop at the moment, Sainsbury's is a really positive step and may encourage other big players to start to take notice, here's hoping.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:A rather rude man at Purelake was unable to help me with my enquiry when I called today. Not a great advertisement for the firm, I must say.

I'll contact Cllr Best and the Sydenham Society to see if they are able to help me clarify the situation. Perhaps Purelake will at least be polite to them, which is more than they could manage with me.
I've now received a far more polite email from Purelake. They're going to look into this issue (i.e. whether Acorn are right to suggest in their marketing material that the first floor of the Greyhound building will be residential) next week.

Cllr Best is also on the case, and thanks to her for her prompt response to my email.
Morgers1

Post by Morgers1 »

I moved to Syd 18 months ago and am a regular consumer of the local restaurants. It's a shame that the Dolphin is the only real option for pubs in the area and I was really looking forward to this. It certainly would boost the area.

But let's be proactive - perhaps we can work out who is investing in pub properties and target the. Even a cafe rouge would be a boost.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Well, I'm heading back down The Dolphin tonight then.
A great pub IMO.
It would be nice to have a choice though and to hop between a couple!