NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by leenewham »

Tim, when I say invest, I mean in terms of thought, time and money. To actually consider how their shops looks and consider it important, something worth thinking about rather than just cost.

It's not rhetoric. Many shops don't think like this. Just look at Sydenham Road, that's the proof.

Good signage doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. You could invest thousands in a sign if you wanted. Around £1500 will get you something special. £1500-2000 will get you a good quality awning etc.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:Tim, when I say invest, I mean in terms of thought, time and money. To actually consider how their shops looks and consider it important, something worth thinking about rather than just cost.

It's not rhetoric.
What makes this rhetoric is that we are talking about business start up costs (including the cost of time taken in thought, as well as money), which may of course be regarded as investments as well as costs. In either case, what matters is whether the business is better off for having spent the money. Because the word 'investment' has generally positive associations, while 'costs' has negative ones, calling an expenditure an investment is just a way of restating that it a good thing to spend money on, so fairly routine rhetoric.

If you want to see the word being rhetorically abused, google something like"Collectors edition" investment. In the commercial world, where bad people can be anticipated at any time, there are ways of controlling such rhetoric - they are call generally accepted accounting principles - according to which businesses are typically obliged to treat start up costs as expenses.
pip

Post by pip »

The former Bengal spice, Garam Massala, opposite Kwikfit on Sydenham road re opens its doors tonight (15th Jan) as a new Indian Restaurant The Lemon Tree. The company that has taken over has at least three other well established restaurants in Bromley and Hayes of which I have sampled over the years and they are all very successful. I wish them luck on this new venture and success where others in the past have failed.
I am getting on a bit now, but who else remembers the place when it was called the Megna.
Oh those were the days. Bombay Duck and all.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes, we've walked past a few times. It's good to know thier other restaurants come recommended. I'm sure the G-lady and I will check it out very soon...

If anyone went there last night do let us know what you thought.

G-Man
dickp

Post by dickp »

Me and my flatmate called in last night, off the back of comment on here.

Pros:
Nice décor.
Nice food.
Cheap, once you've got to the regular stuff towards the back of the menu (you're initially hit with some rather expensive options.)
Friendly service.

Cons - mainly cos it's just opened - so be prepared:
The phone numbers' not yet available online. The only way we could contact the place was to go there in person.
Cash is preferred - I'm not sure they're set up yet to take cards.
The takeaway menus aren't printed yet.
The service was somewhat slow.

So, in general, a nice addition to the High Street, once they're properly up and running.
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

Tried the Lemon Tree last night and echo much of what DickP reports.

The food is definitely better than the last time I was in Gurkhas (and that was some time ago now). Lemon Tree are obviously trying hard to impress; the manager and staff are very friendly if perhaps slightly inexperienced.

Our starters of Lamb Chops and Chicken Pakora were moist and nicely seasoned, and we were also brought a small plate of a fish starter to sample, which was beautifully cooked but lacked a bit of spice. My Methi Ghost Tikka main was, again, a bit light on seasoning, aIthough the meat was prime cut and beautifully tender. My partner's Chicken Dhansak was the best I've tasted in a while - had a really subtle heat about it. A shame that desserts seemed to exist entirely of straight-from-the-freezer ice cream in lemon/orange/coconut, but perhaps this will change as the restaurant (hopefully) beds in.

It's nice to have a decent alternative to Gurkhas on the High Street at last. Good luck to the Lemon Tree.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sounds good. Popped in there to check the menu the other evening and looks rather tasty. Staff were super friendly too.

Peaked in the Chinese Restaurant on Sydenham Road on Sunday. Looks like it may well look quite contempory when done. If it did it would certainly tempt me in. Unlike the old drab finish. Thinking they may have taken a leaf out of Namaste's book. Which I think looks fantastic.

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
pip

Post by pip »

There was a notice on the shutters of Tannos launderette the other week that planning permission had been applied for change of use to open a restaurant on the site. Doesnt state what kind of restaurant. Sushi bar maybe?
simon

Post by simon »

I noticed that the (supposed) 24 hour Locost near the Post Office has been closed for a couple of days. They have had problems with their electricty suppliers in the past. Have the lights finally gone out? Won't miss them if that is the case.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Do you mean the costcutter Simon?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

pip wrote:There was a notice on the shutters of Tannos launderette the other week that planning permission had been applied for change of use to open a restaurant on the site. Doesnt state what kind of restaurant. Sushi bar maybe?
Nope.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken takeaway with some a tiny bit of seating:
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_68428

Shopfront, roller shutter and signage to remain the same but with different graphics.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

simon wrote:I noticed that the (supposed) 24 hour Locost near the Post Office has been closed for a couple of days. They have had problems with their electricty suppliers in the past. Have the lights finally gone out? Won't miss them if that is the case.
The previous owner sold the Costcutter without settling the £25,000 utility bill. The new owners cannot open because they cannot get any electricty at the moment...
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I'm a bit partial to a bit of Jerk Chicken or some curried goat. Could be a good addition to the High street. I think sadly Jah-Mekit down near Bell green has closed, they did the best Jerk Chicken ever. Hopefully this place will be just as good.
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

Is anybody aware what is to be built opposite Sydenham station? I was pleased to see yesterday that building work seems about to commence at the old garages / dry cleaning facility which is a real eye sore
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
Discussed this morning how often you see people walking and eating. Especially people who are non too slim.

Seem to recall we were told it was de rigueur to do this when we were young. You did not eat on the move. It was socially unacceptable.

Seems especially noticeable when children on their way home. Cannot understand when they have had a good school dinner and evening meal later at home , how they can find room for extra junk.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Wow, they used the world 'excellence' in the title so it must be amazing. Especially if they say it about themselves. And it's in gold, which makes it even better.

Nice to see the craftsmen plying their trade, enhancing the high street in such a way.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

:lol:
LocalMum

Post by LocalMum »

Re Scarpetta's post a while ago, does anyone know what is being built opp Syd Station near the bookshop? New buildings being built - looks like new shops? Anyone know who is potentially moving in?
John J Rambo

Post by John J Rambo »

LocalMum wrote:Re Scarpetta's post a while ago, does anyone know what is being built opp Syd Station near the bookshop? New buildings being built - looks like new shops? Anyone know who is potentially moving in?
I thought it was going to be a bar once constructed, but am happy to be corrected.