Crystal Palace Garden Party is back

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
davegr

Crystal Palace Garden Party is back

Post by davegr »

Crystal Palace Garden Party is a two day event held at Crystal Palace Park and in the concert Bowl, south east London on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th June 2012.

Line-up
Saturday Headlined by Rick Wakeman (confirmed). Support is likely to be Hawkind, John Lees Barclay James Harvest, Focus, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, and more to be confirmed.
simon

Re: Crystal Palace Garden Party is back

Post by simon »

Are you sure its taking place this year and not 1974?
Hardly targeting the youth market with that line up are they?
Annie

Post by Annie »

simon wrote:Are you sure its taking place this year and not 1974?
MMM-do we always have to think about the young? what about us oldies? we pay our Tax too :D
simon

Post by simon »

I'm old enough to have seen some of those acts first time around Annie :) But I doubt I'll go; I've moved on. Nostalgia appears to be all the rage these days.
Its good to see the venue being used for live music though, seen some great gigs there in the past.
davegr

Post by davegr »

simon wrote:Are you sure its taking place this year and not 1974?

Good one Simon...

I'm also old enough to remember. Quite like Wakeman and Lemmy era Hawkwind. Not so sure about BJH-they weren't fashionable even in the seventies.

How about some of the 80s acts that graced the bowl coming back like The Cure and The Pixies??
simon

Post by simon »

Saw Hawkwind a few times and they could drone on a bit. Couldn't stand Wakeman, thought he was awfully pretentious, but I understand now that he parodies himself, al a Spinal Tap. Saw Focus and Wishbone Ash, who were good at the time and would probably put on a good show. Even when they were reasonably popular BJH were rubbish, in my opinion, and I would avoid them like the plague.
Yes the Cure are meant to be good value live but I note they are headlining a big festival this year so I should imagine the Park is a bit small for them. Missed the Pixies completely so would like to see them.
Best act I saw at Crystal Palace was Bob Marley, but he is unavailable, obviously.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Never heard of any of them. I thought the sort of music you had at garden parties (apart from the band for the exhibition of Morris dancing) was Eric Coates, Albert Ketelbey, Lionel Monckton and selections from Gilbert and Sullivan.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Looking forward to the smell of lank greasy hair and stale patchouli oil infused denims already. Whilst there is obviously a market for this I would have thought that some imagination could have gone into this line-up. Despite seeing Barclay James Harvest albums in music shops in my youth (we're talking the 80's here) I first heard one of their songs this week on BBC4's TOTP show. Oh dear.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Robin Orton wrote:Never heard of any of them. I thought the sort of music you had at garden parties (apart from the band for the exhibition of Morris dancing) was Eric Coates, Albert Ketelbey, Lionel Monckton and selections from Gilbert and Sullivan.
Not surprised you haven't heard of any of them you are a chorister which explains a lot.

Your choice of garden party music is dreadful Robin 1/10

Some people hate this sort of stuff but for me it was the epitome of when musicians were actually very talented and creative unlike now where it's all X factor rubbish where music has gone to die.

Jan Akkerman was a brilliant guitarist, this tune is a bit mad but in a good way
[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5e5URihsQ[/youtubes]

Wishbone ash

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blbsTD3i3g[/youtubes]

These people aren't just dinosaurs of rock they are from the cretaceous period but still pretty good and they actually could play pretty well back when rock was king.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Oh please let 'more to be confirmed' be the name of an actual band!

This garden party isn't my cup of tea, I've never been a prog/heavy'rock/metal fan.

Have you ever pogoed in a pair of snow wash jeans or black fingerless leather gloves Robin?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Have you ever pogoed in a pair of snow wash jeans or black fingerless leather gloves Robin?
Passed me by, I'm afraid, Lee. But I can assure you that in my time I was a really 'switched-on hep cat.' I once owned a pair of 'Jingling Johnnies' - flared cord jeans with little bells sewn on them (but I cut them off). And I bought Sergeant Pepper and Pet Sounds when they first came out. And when I was at university a friend showed me some marijuana he'd brought back from Morocco!
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

And please tell us - did you inhale said stuff?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

How dare you! Certainly not!