Dilwyn Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Annie

Dilwyn Road

Post by Annie »

:D
Hi everyone,
Does any one happen to have any photos of the old Dillwyn road that used to be down lower sydenham which has changed into new roads including dillwyn close (i think)
it would be lovely to see them.
:D
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

My friend Tony and I went on another 6 mile walk again and passed by this close earlier today. I know there was once a few roads around this part with another terrace of Bell Green shops at the bottom--their area now occupied by flats for the most part. I've found the history of Bell Green area so difficult to envisage during my research. There used to be a square of houses in front of Haseltine School--now occupied by warehouses--bath house and pub still remains, but the course of the roads have somewhat altered. Apparently, in the early days, the actual Bell "green" was where the gasworks are now. When I've got a new digital camera, I'm planning to take a trip down to LMA to look for photos of this Dillwyn road and all the other off-shoots that no longer exist. If anyone has a Laptop and scanner then you're welcome to join me! :lol: There might be something in the Coulter/Seaman books for this road, and you can build up some kind of picture about the history of Bell Green, but it's very difficult. The best aid I found was an aerial photograph from the Lewisham Local Studies centre, but even then I would need to print it out for a walkabout to really build up a true picture in my mind. It's really baffling... I think there might have even been another terrace of shops leading to the square of houses... I know the road was widened at the bottom of Sydenham high street with certain shops demolished and all sorts... :?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

There's actually a photo of Dillwyn road in either "Forest and Sydenham" or "Sydenham and Forest Hill" book! I spotted it last night... Actially, I'm always spotting new things everytime I read them books... :lol: