HSBC site

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

HSBC site

Post by sydenhamboy »

Any news on the HSBC pub that's closed down? Any rumours as to what it might become - prime site and all that .. sophisticated coffee house? .. wine bar? .. another pound shop? (how many cheap bin liners does one need!?) .. oh god! .. not another nail shop surely. If another nail shop opens I am leaving the country.
There I've said it.
leaf

Post by leaf »

sorry,but where are you talking about?
kster

Post by kster »

I think Sydenhamboy is refering to the HSBC bank that used to be on the high street near the bridge over the railway (rather than the HSBC pub - at least they never gave me a beer when I went in there...). The adverts would have us believe it'll be a trendy wine bar, but I'm not sure....
sydenhamboy

HSBC bank

Post by sydenhamboy »

yesss .. freudian slip! .. i meant to say Bank .. It's the HSBC bank - kind of oppisite Silverdale. Fingers crossed for something fab and groovy for the new year ..

.. although I am in need of some cheap bin liners ..

Just wondered if anyone knew anything.
leaf

Post by leaf »

oh,ok,you mean the one on the corner of venner road,i didnt even know it had shut!
JohnC

HSBC bank

Post by JohnC »

I am in the HSBC and I rang them to ask what was happening to the Sydenham branch. They said it is shut for good...

I think we should all canvas Cafe Nero and/or Costa Starbucks etc to get them to open up before we get another nail or pound shop (or worse still yet another betting shop)!!!

This is the perfect site for a coffee place as it is right by the station (to get one on the way to work) and has space for a patio and chairs tables in the summer... They should be queuing up to buy the site! But only if they know about it. So we should all go to there websites and pester them!

Cafe Nero have invested in the area recently with Crystal palace and East Dulwich so they are the best best.... Email them and sell the virtues of all us lot who want a decent coffee shop and not more bin liners!... email is:

enquiries@caffenero.com

Fingers Crossed!

John
Greg Whitehead

Re: HSBC bank

Post by Greg Whitehead »

JohnC wrote:I am in the HSBC and I rang them to ask what was happening to the Sydenham branch. They said it is shut for good...

I think we should all canvas Cafe Nero and/or Costa Starbucks etc to get them to open up before we get another nail or pound shop (or worse still yet another betting shop)!!!

This is the perfect site for a coffee place as it is right by the station (to get one on the way to work) and has space for a patio and chairs tables in the summer... They should be queuing up to buy the site! But only if they know about it. So we should all go to there websites and pester them!

Cafe Nero have invested in the area recently with Crystal palace and East Dulwich so they are the best best.... Email them and sell the virtues of all us lot who want a decent coffee shop and not more bin liners!... email is:

enquiries@caffenero.com

Fingers Crossed!

John
Great suggestion. Email already penned and sent. I was sitting in Sema's cafe opposite (trying to do my bit to support local business' that might not be organic etc) yesterday thinking how great it would be if HSBC became a coffee-shop as then all us Lower Sydenhamites (from Knighton Park Road where I currently am and those on the streets all the way up to Venner Road) could skirt past there in the morning and it wouldn't be too far away for Upper Sydenhamites to deviate from their normal route.

I guess T.D. could be the catalyst for alot of things we want? Show potential investors/deli owners and the like that we don't like not spending our money in the locale, we just choose not to. A successful T.D. might just unlock a few wallets and open a few eyes.

From speaking to the gentlemen from Living Streets he stated that this, he felt, it was a over-riding theme he was constantly encountering about Syd when talking to other residents. Looking at some of the fine streets and the amount of 'monied' people in Syd the High Street does not cater for them - neither for that matter does many of the shops along Kirkdale nowadays. He agreed that it's clean and tidy and really attractive (architecturally) but most people wouldn't be seen dead in the majority of the shops. And that my friends is social exclusion at the other end of the scale.