Gloucester Villas

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
MollyImms

Gloucester Villas

Post by MollyImms »

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know anything about Gloucester Villas in Lawrie Park Road, which I understand is now number 80? I have it on good authority that that is what the house was called, but I can find no record of it on the 1901 census. It was built in the 1870's and bought in the 1920's by Mr. Christmas. I would love to hear any information about it or even better, if anyone has some old pictures or plans.
Best wishes,
Mollyimms
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The house is fairly well recorded. It was built in the mid 1850s, one of the first houses on the Lawrie Park estate. It was originally called, as you say, Gloster (or Gloucester) Villa (or Lodge). It was later numbered 20 Lawrie Park Road and finally 80 LPR.

It had two interesting occupants, both of whom you can Google: the eccentric General Henry Selby Rickards who lived there 1870-1875 and Charles Ainslie Barry, a composer, who was there 1881-1894.

Ted Christmas was responsible for converting the house to flats. He didn't live there but he did spend the last few years of his life in Bolney Court (which he also converted) at the Westwood Hill end of LPR.

For pictures and plans you should contact <Lewisham Local Studies>
MollyImms

Gloucester Villas

Post by MollyImms »

Hi,
Thanks so much for the information. You've confirmed what I had previously deduced. I thought the house was probably either number 18 or 20 because on the 1901 census, these are the only houses in Lawrie Park Road that have stables. I knew the house had stables. The information about the previous residents is also really interesting. I'm very keen to get some old photos. The corner of the house is visible in a book about Forest Hill and Sydenham, but that's all I could find. The house was originally built of stone but has had a brick skin put on the outside for some reason. Anyway, I shall be off to the library to investigate soon. Thanks again. :D
Noha Sadek

Gloucester Villas

Post by Noha Sadek »

Dear Mr. Grindlay,
I am interested to know if you have any more information about Henry Selby Rickards? I am a descendant of his by an Egyptian wife and I am currently putting together his life story. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Noha Sadek
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I'm afraid I don't have much else I can add about General Rickards, other than an article in The Times of 6 June 1888 about a dispute over his will. I've uploaded it [here]. Clicking on it should enlarge it enough to read.
Noha Sadek

Post by Noha Sadek »

Thanks very much. I already have this article but I am collecting as much information as I can.