Hall Drive was the carriage road of Sydenham Hall – the home of the Lawrie family built in 1805. The Hall was demolished in 1939. It is an attractive and sought after road by estate agents. This view from Lawrie Park Gardens shows the gate, lack of pavement and the typical ‘post & chains’ to keep traffic off the grass borders.
A short way along is an unusual crescent shaped contemporary development of split level terraced homes. They have tiny back gardens and short piece of tarmac at the front but overlook a pleasant green – which children are not encouraged to enjoy!
This view from the green shows some of the wide variety of invidual building styles of the houses. These vary from ‘Mock Tudor’ through ‘Arts & Crafts’ to ”Contemporary 1960s’.
Hall Drive is one of the few remaining private roads in Lewisham. It is maintained by the residents who have a fearsome reputation for keeping order amongst themselves and stopping intruders from using it as a parking area.