The geology of South London made tunnelling for the underground very difficult which means Sydenham has to rely on suburban trains for fast access to Central London. Sydenham has four stations on three different lines.
Hence if there is trouble on one line you can easily switch to one of the others.
Located at the junction of Sydenham Road and Kirkdale. It is the most southerly station in zone 3.
Trains run north to London Bridge (Southern) and Highbury & Islington (London Overground) at up to 5 minute intervals during the day. All trains stop at Forest Hill, Honor Oak, Brockley and New Cross Gate.
Southern then go directly to London Bridge (17 mins).
Overground trains take the old East London Line with excellent connections at:
- Canada Water for Canary Wharf and the West End (Jubilee)
- Whitechapel for Central and East London (District and Hammersmith & City)
- Shadwell for Docklands Light Railway
Trains going south go to:
- Crystal Palace where Overground terminates and Southern loops back to London Victoria via Streatham Hill, Balham and Clapham Junction
- West Croydon calling at Penge West, Anerley and Norwood Junction (London Overground)
- East Croydon foor mainline services to Gatwick and the South coast calling at the same stations and then all stations to Caterham via Purley (Southern)
Sydenham Station looking towards Forest Hill on a busy Sunday lunchtime.
Located just off Crystal Palace Park Road this station is in zone 4 and has the same services as Sydenham with the exception of those to/from Crystal Palace/Victoria.
Located at the end of Newlands Park this station has the faster services to London Victoria. Southeastern trains run every 15 minutes through the day. Services stop at Sydenham Hill, West Dulwich, Herne Hill and Brixton.
Eastbound trains connect with mainline services at Bromley South stopping at Clockhouse, Beckenham Junction, Shortlands and terminating in Orpington.
One station up the London Victoria line from Penge East on College Road and in zone 3. Same services.
Located between Kangley Bridge Road & Worsley Bridge Roads in zone 4. Southeastern operate frequent services from Hayes to Charing Cross via Lewisham.
Paris & Brussels
Eurostar rains used to go from Sydenham Hill & Penge East to the continent. They just didn’t stop …
Eurostar farewell from Penge East to Bromley South
Trainspotter? We have more for you here