More road works!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

More road works!

Post by Pat Trembath »

More road works!

Lawrie Park Road has been closed for 3 weeks now because of major gas main replacement at its junction with Westwood Hill. When this work is complete (due by the end of this coming week, if it remains on schedule) Morrison Utility Services will be coming back into Sydenham Road.

The next phase of work, planned to take place in July, will continue into and along Sydenham Road, taking approximately 3 months to complete. Temporary traffic management (single lane traffic controlled by traffic signals) will be in place during this time, involving road closures at the junctions of Sydenham Road with Mayow Park and Newlands Park. Advance notices and warning signs will be in the area, advising motorists to use alternative routes.

It appears that this essential work forms part of Southern Gas Networks’ on going mains replacement programme to ensure the gas network in Lewisham continues to provide a safe and reliable gas supply into the future.

Apart from two weeks last Christmas this means that Sydenham’s arterial road network will have suffered continuous road-works since 8 November 2003 – over 18 months so far.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

:roll: Does anybody know why oh why wells park road is closed again - not more than 2 months after it was last closed - I have heard that the road has caved in up near the old upper sydenham station - could this be a problem with the tunnel which runs directly under the station and wells park through to the dulwich woods ?
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

I think it's just a large pothole. Also, you can drive round the barrier - so even though the sign says the road is closed - it isn't totally blocked (or at least not last time I looked anyway!).
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Oh no you cant!

The road has collapsed and whilst trying to mend it "they - Conways" hit a water main. At 3.30 pm "they - Thames Water" were sitting in in their van with a wonderful fountain playing over the fly-tipped rubbish on Hillcrest Estate waiting for instructions from on high.

Let's watch this space to see how long this latest road closure lasts but there is certainly at present NO WAY through the top end of Wells Park Road
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Just read at Sydenham Post Office bus stop that Woolstone Road will be closed to traffic at Catford Hill for 4 weeks beginning 11 July. The 75 bus will be diverted via Perry Rise - turning left? into Perry Hill - maybe the no left turn will be cancelled for this period?

I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy at work.

Morrisons are employed by, guess who, British Gas. British Gas wants to develop Bell Green as a retail park. So my theory is that, in cahoots with BG, Morrisons are digging up all our roads now so that if the retail park does get built in a year or two's time, there will be no roadworks in Sydenham to restrict the flow of traffic to Bell Green.

Am I being over cynical?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Gas works - Sydenham Road.

The following information has been e-mailed directly to Sydenham Society from Southern Gas Networks

"Starting on Sunday 10th July, the existing metal gas mains along Sydenham Road will be replaced with new plastic pipe. This work will take approximately take three months to complete.

Temporary traffic managment will be in place during this time, involving
road closures at its junction with Mayow Road & Newlands Park. Advanced
warning and diversion signs will be in the area, advising motorists to use
alternative routes.

Residents occupying properties that will require a new gas service to be
laid will be contacted individually to organise for this work to take place.

Traders have been informed about the works and extra boards will be made up stating 'Business open as usual'.

We have been and will continue to work closely with the London Borough of Lewisham, the emergency services and the local transport companies during this project in order to keep disruption to a minimum whilst meeting
emergency access and pedestrian safety requirements. We have continued to coordinate our works with other utilities and the council to help minimise traffic disruption during these essential works.

Our hours of working have been agreed with the local authority. We will be working extended hours to ensure the project remains on schedule. We are mindful of those people who live in the area and we will try to minimise noisy activities where possible.

We appreciate that this will inevitably cause some disruption. However, the
plastic pipes we are laying, have a lifespan in excess of 80 years,
therefore when the work is completed people in the area should be able to
continue enjoying the benefits of a gas supply for years to come.

If you have any specific enquiries about this work please contact (020)
8858 6910. "
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Wells Park Road collapse - council advise repairs not expected to be completed till mid August.

With Newlands Park and Wells Park Road both closed and Sydenham Road nigh on impassable, I think it is high time this little island of Sydenham declared independence.

The only way in seems to be via Sydenham Station - where we could set up Passport Control?
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

On the bright side, those of us in Newlands park are enjoying the peace and quiet. at the moment... It's rather nice not to have the house shake everytime a bus crashes over a man-hole cover !!!

8)
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The roadworks in Sydenham Road are causing huge inconvenience to motorists and (according to almost all the shopkeepers I've talked to) has led to sharply decreased trade in the high street. The work is likely to continue for the remainder of 2006 on Sydenham Road and then Mayow Road, Queensthorpe and Tannsfeld Roads. This will mean that Sydenham Road has had two months free of roadworks in the last two years.

Most of the time there are only two to three workers at the site. Surely, Lewisham Council could have insisted to Transco that speeding up the work on such a vital thoroughfare as Sydenham Road is a matter of priority. A larger workforce, even working beyond the hours of 8am to 4pm, five days per week could have been instituted. I realise that the actually fitting of the pipework is a skilled job and skilled workers may be in short supply but the majority of the work - digging a trench laying the pipes and then refilling the trench - isn't highly skilled work.

But perhaps expecting any support for this community from Lewisham Council is wishful thinking?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I'm sure the shop keepers are going to have a terrible time of it. In addtion to people avoiding coming into the area by road, even if you are on foot it is a nightmare.

I was down the High Street on Saturday and gave up on shopping because it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get across the road.

:x
sydenham Don

Post by sydenham Don »

A agree re. Newlands park - the peace and quiet is amazing, great not to be watching a film on TV with the buses creating 'rumble vision' to enhance the effects. Pedestrianise NP! saying that we were rudely awakened at 4.30am sunday morning by 4 chavs playing techno outside full blast from their car - nice.

On a more serious note and a bit of a tangent - are the council liable for any damage to the houses that the buses must be doing?

SD
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

At the recent Forest Hill and Sydenham Forum, when the new Bell Green development was being discussed, someone raised the same point about whether large vehicles passing close to houses would damage them. Darien Goodwin (head of Highways LB Lewisham) said that he had worked for a number of London councils in the transport department and he had never met any case where buildings were actually damaged by vehicles passing close by on a public road.

I'm not supporting his opinion - merely passing on what appears to be the council's official view.
kster

Post by kster »

Since the road works have moved down on Sydenham road, has anyone else noticed that although they have redone the tarmac over the trench they dug for the pipes; their equipment has ripped up the surface in places either side on the trench. No doubt this will need to be fixed fairly soon, with more road works and expense for us.