RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by mosy »

Yes, a rousing late night chorus of "Show me the way to go home" - then we can all just follow you and crash at your place ;)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote:Yes, a rousing late night chorus of "Show me the way to go home" - then we can all just follow you and crash at your place ;)
Yeah, I didn't think before I posted.... #AWKWARD :P :P
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Whomever moves in, I hope that it's the sort of Pub that caters for a rousing day trade as well as evening, otherwise it's going to be dead space during the day.
I'm no expert, but I would think that relies on a good food offering....a destination for weary shoppers and families...
P.s. Noticed the request for Silver Birch trees....sounds good expecially if there's outside seating.
How will that reconcile with Sainsburys..? God I hope they are made to keep their trollies INSIDE!

Lewisham missed a trick here, they should have made the whole "square" eating and drinking only... A destination for refreshments and food. People would actually start to come in from outside, a la Crystal Palace. Create a buzz at the top end and people driving around Cobbs might actually turn down the high street instead of going on elsewhere.
It would start the ball rolling and stimulate growth on the high street with better shops moving in due to the increased footfall.
Lack of imagination I suspect.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Steve

As Capt Mainwaring would have said. You are living in a fantasy world.

I hope a reputable brewer takes over the Pub. Not your we want a rousing Pub , there are people living within a stones throw.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Eagle, you misunderstand me.
I mean a sustainable and economically viable day trade that adds a buzz to the high street. Walk up to Crystal Palace or to East Dulwich during the day and there is a buzz around their pubs because they offer good food as well as alcohol.
If the pub doesn't offer this it will not make a decent profit as its day trade will be dead.

Our High street will never attract "money" in any quantity unless it offers the attractions the other areas do and that means increasing footfall, of people spending money, during the day...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Steve

You do have a point

Many affluent people have moved into Sydenham ( or one must assume so by property prices ). The shops in the High Street have a general 3rd world appearance ( with some exceptions ).

The Greyhound needs to attract a trade throughout the day. That does not mean a trade whereby the same people sitting there all day .
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

You want a day trade? Be child and baby friendly. Offer a good kids menu. Attract mothers/baby groups by offering a soft play area during the day (it can be removable for the evening). Basically be the opposite of the Greyhound with their somewhat unfriendly notices (which are not matched by the staff attitude to kids).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

An alternative day trade - comfortable places for people who work from home to relocate for an hour or so, have coffee, have lunch, meet friends and colleagues. As for soft play - not in a place this size, and most parents don't really like them.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Rachael wrote:An alternative day trade - comfortable places for people who work from home to relocate for an hour or so, have coffee, have lunch, meet friends and colleagues. As for soft play - not in a place this size, and most parents don't really like them.
OK, maybe not soft play, but I think being child friendly and courting baby/toddler groups could be a pretty attractive niche.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

robbieduncan wrote:You want a day trade? Be child and baby friendly. Offer a good kids menu. Attract mothers/baby groups by offering a soft play area during the day (it can be removable for the evening). Basically be the opposite of the Greyhound with their somewhat unfriendly notices (which are not matched by the staff attitude to kids).
No soft play por favor
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree entirely

I want to go in a pub not a kindegarten . I am sure I never entered a Pub until about 17.

I know some Pubs and Coffee shops go after the buggie market , but they are usually to be avoided.

Pubs are NOT for children , or should not be,
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Eagle wrote:I agree entirely

I want to go in a pub not a kindegarten . I am sure I never entered a Pub until about 17.

I know some Pubs and Coffee shops go after the buggie market , but they are usually to be avoided.

Pubs are NOT for children , or should not be,
I disagree - my children are extremely happy in a pub. Soft-play should be ring-fenced and left in stand-alone venues however.
I think, Eagle, that you are probably a bit of a duffer who likes warm flat beer and would prefer fags to be smoked...I could be wrong however.
Pally

Post by Pally »

[quote="Eagle"]I agree entirely

Pubs are NOT for children , or should not be,[/quote

It is entirely possible to have a child friendly pub which suits all. This may or may not include a soft play area ...takes up quite a lot of space ...but comfortable seating, some toys and books, good beer and food can meet all needs ...plus parents who are aware of not allowing children to run around disturbing everyone!! That is also perfectly possible.

For the Greyhound to be viable the family friendly element is important!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Pally

Your penultimate paragraph sums up the problem. Of course it is possible for Mum and Dad to properly supervise their children and teach them how to behave in a Pub, but in the UK it all too often does not happen.

Also if you have a play area surely it is not expected children would not make a noise..

I think you have two different demographics here and unless the Pub is very large best they go to separate establishments.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Given the Greyhound's location, wouldn't being child friendly be like saying "Here's a penny, go play in the traffic" (old joke), or the other one "Shut up or I'll nail your other foot to the floor" (given small space)? Hopefully whoever decides to take it on will have a workable business model that includes daytime use.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

When I grew up we went to pubs a lot, I went to the beer garden or games room, or sat with my parents, or had a game of pool or sat in the beer garden. It was never an issue.

Some pubs are very child friendly, like the Paxton, which is great for families, some are more reserved like the Dolphin or Bridge House. If you don't like the pub, don't go there, but we need to offer something for families around here, which means for adults AND children and a pub that does that makes a lot of sense. Otherwise they will go to other parts of London.

And Sydenham misses out thought lack of vision.

Again.

The Greyhound isn't that small. Not sure why people keep bring in up the size.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Eagle wrote:Pally

Your penultimate paragraph sums up the problem. Of course it is possible for Mum and Dad to properly supervise their children and teach them how to behave in a Pub, but in the UK it all too often does not happen.

Also if you have a play area surely it is not expected children would not make a noise...
I wasn't particularly suggesting a play area, just toys and books!

I have been a supervising parent who did not allow running around disturbing others in pubs! I have observed many parents doing the same including my own son with my grandchildren!

I have also observed parents allowing their children to disturb others inappropriately! I think it is easy to remember the negatives and forget how often one sees a positive! To be honest if I think about it and without any exact figures, I'd say I see more appropriately behaved and supervised children than not!!

Lee is right, opportunities must not be missed!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

leenewham wrote:When I grew up we went to pubs a lot, I went to the beer garden or games room, or sat with my parents, or had a game of pool or sat in the beer garden. It was never an issue.

Some pubs are very child friendly, like the Paxton, which is great for families, some are more reserved like the Dolphin or Bridge House. If you don't like the pub, don't go there, but we need to offer something for families around here, which means for adults AND children and a pub that does that makes a lot of sense. Otherwise they will go to other parts of London.

And Sydenham misses out thought lack of vision.

Again.

The Greyhound isn't that small. Not sure why people keep bring in up the size.
Bridge House is massively family friendly during the day and actively courts those with buggies...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Pally it is not easy.

All much depends on the age of the child. Over , say 7 , should be able to sit down at the table and behave well. Not sure most pubs ideal for the under sevens. However only my view and of course exceptions to everything.

I am sure The Greyhound , if and when it ever opens, will judge what its clientelle should be . That indeed up to them.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The Goldsmiths Arms, although open to the general public only from 4pm on weekdays, opens early on one day of the week specifically for mothers and toddlers for a play group or children''s classes, don't remember which. I think all mothers are welcome, whether or not paying for the class, and the pub is open exclusively for mothers and their toddlers.