Uninvited camper in Baxter Fields

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Uninvited camper in Baxter Fields

Post by Robin Orton »

A small tent has again appeared in the park, this time in a prominent position near the children's play area and surrounded by rather unpleasant litter. I believe it is being occupied by a youngish women in a tracksuit, who I saw there yesterday. I heard loud female giggles coming from the tent at 6.45 this morning, and possibly (though I may be mistaken about this) a male voice as well.

I am normally quite happy to live and let live in this sort of situation, but on this occasion I think there is a risk of young families etc using the park being put off or even intimidated. I have therefore telephoned Glendale about it, and the woman I spoke to promised to pass the message on to the parks supervisor. She said that if they had been aware about this (why weren't they, one wonders, given that they claim to visit the park every day?) they would have referred it to the borough council.
Robin Orton

Re: Uninvited camper in Baxter Fields

Post by Robin Orton »

No action on this. The tent is still there, there is rubbish all over the park, the dog mess bins are overflowing and the schools are back tomorrow. I have telephoned Glendale again just now. If the position is still unchanged at this time tomorrow, I shall refer the matter to one of our ward councillors.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Robin
I am staggered that Glendale haven't taken any action . If you can see this tent then surely they can too .
I will email them too
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thanks, Nigel. I couldn't find an email address for Glendale Lewisham. Do you have one?
vizzle

Post by vizzle »

I just spoke to someone at Glendale. They weren't aware, but said they'd get someone to take a look.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Robin
I email to their website " contact us " page.
They replied saying they had forwarded it the supervisor responsible for that park . Lets hope they sort it out soon
A very good evening
Nigel
Cllr Paul Upex

Post by Cllr Paul Upex »

Hello all

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I reported this issue to the Lewisham Team last night. I have just been informed that the tent and rubbish has been cleared and have received assurances that Glendale will work with the local Safer Neighbourhood Team to monitor the area as a number of other incidents like this have been reported across the borough. Please feel free to email any updates.

Best wishes

Cllr Paul Upex
Forest Hill Ward
cllr_paul.upex@lewisham.gov.uk
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thanks, Paul. I am glad to report that the park has now been generally tidied up and that the bins have been emptied.