** CAR CRIME IN THE MAYO ROAD VICINITY**

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MrWright

** CAR CRIME IN THE MAYO ROAD VICINITY**

Post by MrWright »

My journey to Sydenham station takes me past Burghill and Bishopsthorpe Roads where I've noticed an increasing number of car break ins. Usually I see at least once a month, which in my opinion is far too many. However on the morning of 21st Feb 2008 I counted seven break ins along these two roads alone. It seems we have an opportunist amongst us & I would urge all local residents to leave absolutely nothing in their cars. After the seven car incident, I noticed community police officers patrolling the conservation area but I doubt their presence will be long lived. I've posted this topic for three reasons. 1. because I am so angered by what I have witnessed I feel the need to vent it in some way, 2. because I wish to warn the unwary and remind the casual that we have a desperado amongst us and the cost of a new window is irrelevant to the cost of the goods s/he wish to remove from the vehicle and 3. because I would like the victims of these crimes or people who have witnessed evidence of break ins to highlight the roads where these are happening. And if anybody has any idea how information related to this problem can be taken further, your suggestions will be gratefully received.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I would urge everyone who has had their car windows smashed to report the crime. When I telephoned the police on Thursday afternoon only 2 out of the 7 cars on Bishopsthorpe Road had been reported as criminal damage. The Safer Neighbourhoods Team are aware of this particular problem and have been talking to local people. I have spoken to residents in the Thorpes and there is support for a Neighbourhood Watch scheme - I will work with others to set one up.
Si Blee

Post by Si Blee »

There were three cars with smashed windows on Newlands Park this AM, within the space of about 100 metres
charlie

Post by charlie »

i noticed 2 smashed along earlsthorpe road this morning. not mine, but ours was done twice 3 weeks apart last year. looks like the same little s***heads are back. i'm all for a neighbourhood watch scheme, but would it make that much difference? surely we all keep on the lookout as a matter of course? it would help if we saw a policeman walking the streets every now and then...
umbrella

Post by umbrella »

Like MrWright I also walk up Burghill and Bishopsthorpe in the morning and saw the windows last week. Weirdly I noticed that 1 car still hasn't had it's window repaired even today.

I'd reiterate what has been said about not leaving belongings in vehicles, I'm amazed at how much stuff is left on display in vehicles as I walk by them each day. I guess the owners think/know that it's not valuable but the criminals seem happy to smash a window to check this is the case.

I'm hope they catch the culprits and stop this spree.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

I think everyone should put springloaded mousetraps in their glove boxes to give the thieving gits something to think about!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Of course people shouldn't leave belongings in cars. But these crimes aren't motivated by theft. They follow a long pattern of malicious damage by a single individual living in the area with a history of such crimes.

It is vital that people keep their eyes peeled and see if they can identify the culprit and be willing to pass this information on to the police and eventually to a court. Unfortunately, until the individual is actually caught in the act, this activity will continue.

You aren't looking for a bunch of kids. Look out for a single middle-aged man.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i'm not sure it's about thieving - that would be too rational. when it's happened to either me or the neighbours there was literally nothing inside the car to take, and no evidence that they'd gone looking in the glove compartments. as far i can tell, they smash the windows because it's such amazing fun, and they never get caught!
umbrella

Post by umbrella »

nasaroc, sounds like you know who the culpirt is, are the safer neighbourhood team aware of your suspicions?

Sounds like the person is a one man crimewave. Sooner he's caught sooner this stops.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I'm absolutely certain that the Safer Neighbourhood team are fully aware of exactly who is causing these crimes. I'm certain that a great number of locals also know exactly who is causing these crimes.

There is a huge gap between knowledge and prosecution however.

To get from one to the other you need witnesses (and particularly in this case witnesses who will not bottle out of attending court and naming the guilty party).

Until we have this, the problem will continue.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i too would love to know who this is, but in the cases i've been directly involved with - all last year - i'm afraid it was definitely kids. i'd seen them hanging around, as had the neighbours, and somebody across the street actually saw them walk off, come back with their hoods up, then smash in two cars for no reason at all. the police were told all this, but i've no idea if they were caught.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Charlie, I don't doubt what you say. But exactly the same ideas took hold when the current spate of car smashing started two years ago. Locals were reporting to public meetings that they were sure it was kids - two people even claimed to have run out of their houses only to see "one or more kids" running off into the distance.

The same people don't hold those views today. I talked to one of them yesterday evening. They're just keeping their heads down, powerless to do anything about these crimes and slightly relieved that the damage seems to have moved out of their street into the adjoining streets less than fifty yards from the previous epicentre.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Er, so why do you think no-one is prepared to stand up as a witness? Is this person particularly terrifying or something? I can't imagine a 'gangster' resorting to petty vandalism!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't want to be a damp weekend but I don't think we should ask nasaroc to speculate in public on the known suspect's character ahead of, hopefully, a prosecution.

Admin
Willy

Post by Willy »

Fair enough. Fingers crossed there is a prosecution in the offing, wasn't much fun removing spray paint from my car the other week.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Willy

Unfortunately "gangsterism" as you describe it, disappeared with The Krays or more probably Dixon of Dock Green. The idea that violence and the threat of violence is somehow restricted to "top" criminals is hopelessly outdated when eight year-olds are shooting or knifing other eight-year olds because they come from the wrong side of their estate. Violence (or its threat) is now employed by almost every wrongdoer and the case under discussion here is no different.

Here is what one of the people who refused to give evidence against our local car damager told me recently: "Yes I saw him damaging my car but that's only one car. He isn't going to admit to damaging all the other cars in this road. The most he will suffer is a warning or a small fine. (Mr. X was given a conditional discharge for setting fire to two cars in Halifax Street where he lived some years ago, so this is fairly logical thinking). He's served a prison sentence for offences against young people. I have a young family. Why should I stick my neck out and give evidence against someone who is likely to be looking at me over the garden wall the same afternoon and can, and will, damage my property further in the future?"

I don't agree with this person but I think I can see where he is coming from.

My near neighbour who I now have the utmost respect for, decided to give evidence in another local case just recently where all of the other witnesses basically "ran away". The perpetrators discovered her mobile phone number and subjected her to days of threats before she changed the number. Her son was beaten up just round the corner a few days afterwards (conditional discharge again). And these were just 17 year-old kids. Imagine what it could have been like for her had she been accusing grown-ups? Luckily, she had the great courage to stand by her convictions but it wasn’t without problems for her and her family.

Incidentally, I not quite sure how anyone has got hold of the idea that there's a prosecution in the offing. There isn't a prosecution in the offing - that's just my point.
umbrella

Post by umbrella »

This still seems to be an issue, yesterday a car on Champion Crescent had a broken window and I'm pretty sure there was one today on Burghill road.

Whoever is the culprit(s) seems to be able to continue damaging vehicles with little regard to the law or getting caught.

I'm faintly depressed by it in a way.
simon

Post by simon »

Appeared to be another car window done on Bishopsthorpe this morning.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Last year some vandals came down the Thorpes roads and scratched every single car on our road including mine, cosing over £1k worth of damage to my car.

No PCSO's in site, had to report it to the police who were speaking with all residents on my road.

It seems to be happening more regularly nowadays. Not sure whether it's kids, malicious adults etc but it makes one feel very angry when you work hard, pay your taxes, then have to pay sky high car insurance premiums because of vandalism on the street.

Bishopsthorpe is the only road with offstreet parking (Kingsthorpe has small garages, but not sure who they belong to or how you'd go about renting space) to those who have a drive, but most of us have to park on the street.