IS SYDENHAM POST OFFICE CLOSING?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Possibly according to various sources:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/42 ... ed-7205858

Sydenham is included in the 42 branches including Beckenham. Apparently they will go out to tender and there will be a public 'consultation'.

Cost cutting apparently, despite the sell off.

Losing the post office could be a huge issue in Sydenham. In other areas they end up being part of WH Smiths (which will probably happen in Beckenham). We don't have that option here.

Does anyone know anything about this? The Post Office is really useful for my business, for my banking and it's one of the few things I venture into the high street for. If it closes, to the ire of Stuart and HB, it ail be short car journey to Forest Hill for me if I have parcels instead of a brisk walk into the high street.
iandavenport

Re: IS SYDENHAM POST OFFICE CLOSING?

Post by iandavenport »

Ive not used Beckenham much for many years , but it never seemed that busy during the week. Sydenham on the other hand, seems to be busy most of the time - how can it be loss making? maybe the P&L accounts are loaded with costs that shouldn't really be added on. It would be a great inconvenience for many if this PO closed - i thought the justification of closing all those useful little sub offices was to ensure we queued up in just the bigger - more efficient?- offices .
Maybe they could relocate it to the Greyhound.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Could it be Sydenham in Oxfordshire - near Leamington Spa - the mirror article gives no clue. "We're not the only Sydenham in the village" (apologies)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Syd ... 2d!6m1!1e1
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I saw a member of staff from the Sydenham Post Office working in the one in Bromley the other week. Probably means nothing, but...

The one in Beckenham is in an odd location which is why I don't use it. If I need to go to the Post Office, I'll work out when I'll be likely to be walking past one. Forest Hill, Sydenham and Bromley all get my business this way.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachael
I agree. A lot of the things that one could only do at the PO a couple of decades ago have now been outsourced to other retailers or banks.

Sure they do parcels , but so do many others.
As far as I am aware all Pensions etc paid directly into one's account in a Bank.
Stamps , you can buy almost anywhere.

Always sad to see an institution go but not sure what unique service it actually provides now.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Eagle
Royal Mail Parcels is what i use Sydenham Post office for on at least 95% of my visits - thats the easiest but not the only way of sending a parcel, unless of course (as i usually am) you are using a return system for a retailer that specify (or pay for) Royal Mail

good point re which Sydenham - there is also one in Somerset , and i think Northern Ireland
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I use the Post Office mostly for returning parcels. Even if they were delivered by another service, that's usually the option for returns. Often these are pre-paid and I wonder if this affects the profitability of individual branches.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Must admit do not send many parcels , returned or otherwise , but last time was directed to a shop which received parcels.

Of course no one wants to see institutions such as these close.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Sydenham wrote:Could it be Sydenham in Oxfordshire - near Leamington Spa - the mirror article gives no clue.
The Guardian reports that it is Sydenham, London - see http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... st-in-full

But despite the Mirror's sensationalist tabloid headline, only three branches have actually been identified for closure (as the Mirror article concedes and the Guardian reports at http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... vatisation), and Sydenham isn't one of them. The Post Office is seeking to transfer the others, including Sydenham, to franchise agreements with other firms.

The post office in Sydenham is, if the queues I've experienced are anything to go by, a destination for many people, so I think it will be an attractive franchise proposition for another firm. I think, therefore, that it's highly unlikely that Sydenham will be left without a Post Office.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Do Starbucks operate Post Offices?
mosy

Post by mosy »

This thread makes me wonder if our post office is already being deliberately run down for a while as of 10(?) windows there are rarely more than two people serving, hence guaranteeing a very long queue at peak times. Or maybe that's intentional to show that queueing people equates to demand.

Maybe they should introduce self service "weigh, pay for, print label" technology for parcels (like online travel tickets) plus bring back stamp-buying machines. Or employ more people. Oh wait, services (not just the post office) run on a shoe string so that prices can rise unrelentingly for profits.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

mosy wrote:This thread makes me wonder if our post office is already being deliberately run down for a while as of 10(?) windows there are rarely more than two people serving, hence guaranteeing a very long queue at peak times. Or maybe that's intentional to show that queueing people equates to demand.

Maybe they should introduce self service "weigh, pay for, print label" technology for parcels (like online travel tickets) plus bring back stamp-buying machines. Or employ more people. Oh wait, services (not just the post office) run on a shoe string so that prices can rise unrelentingly for profits.
Last time I was in Sydenham Post Office they did indeed have self-service machines, a bit like the self-checkouts in supermarkets. Also, you can buy postage online and print your label, then just drop the parcel off at the Post Office. I do this for eBay sales quite regularly.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks Rachael -I wonder why there's usually such a lengthy queue then? Maybe not everyone is online or has tech-capable and resolvable reasons for queueing?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

There might always be a queue but in my experience it moves quickly and the wait is not unduly unpleasant - a nice time to rest and be calm for a while - before stepping back out into the metropolitan hubbub. And a good opportunity to catch-up on what others are doing / thinking by listening in to the chat going on.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

mosy wrote:Thanks Rachael -I wonder why there's usually such a lengthy queue then? Maybe not everyone is online or has tech-capable and resolvable reasons for queueing?
You still need to go to the counter to drop off the parcel and get proof of posting so it only saves a little time buying the postage online. I don't know if many people are aware you can do it online.

The self-service machines are not very user friendly at all. I've used them a few times and just find it too much hassle.

I agree the queue moves very quickly.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Queue moves quickly? We are talking about Sydenham Road, yes? I suppose it depends on what people ahead in the queue need. I've heard a few people's life stories once chatting in the 20 mins or so we've all been waiting sometimes. I can only assume pot luck if others' experiences differ from mine typically..

However, it'd be a lot more hassle to get to the Forest Hill one, so making ours better would get my vote. It could be in smaller premises in shop floor terms (dunno about back room ops). as the space need for sales items is probably a luxury in lack of turnover terms. Why not incorporate it into the Sydenham Centre next door?
michael

NO, SYDENHAM POST OFFICE IS NOT CLOSING

Post by michael »

The Guardian article does not list Sydenham as a post office that will close, it is listed under 'Branches to be franchised to private companies'.
In Forest Hill I assume that WH Smith own the franchise, and there are thousands of sub-post offices across the country that are essentially franchises.
So in answer to the shouty thread title "NO, SYDENHAM POST OFFICE IS NOT CLOSING", but it might be changing, and probably not for the better.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I thought 'shouty' was slang, I had never heard it used until I read this forum and it was used by Robin about the signage for Forest Hill Pools. I must lead a sheltered life! I just tend to use i for titles. Always have.

Anyway, I never had a problem with the queues in the post office.
Regarding franchising, [url]http://co ... ortunities
and
https://de5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_postoffi ... ewms=info3[/url]

It's a shame it wont be run by the post office. A lot of 'franchises' are an absolute mess (I've worked a few and directly with the Post Office). I hope what happens in Sydenham won't be and will be a shining example of what the Post office could be. They tend to work well within WH Smiths.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lee - you have led a sheltered (online) life. Online, use of all caps indicates shouting. It's considered bad form unless you are actually SHOUTING.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In text perhaps, but in a title? Really?

Perhaps I had better come from under my stone!