Flagging up quotes from "The Sun"?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Tim Lund

Flagging up quotes from "The Sun"?

Post by Tim Lund »

A poster recently started a thread in the Town Pub inviting comments on an editorial from The Sun, but without flagging up the source. A link was given, which is how I was able to identify the source, but not everyone follows links. I wonder if moderators should require such posted to go to the trouble of making such quotes clear, so we would, in this case, have
The Sun wrote:The madness of rapidly closing down our old power stations on environmental grounds and not replacing them is blindingly obvious to anyone outside Whitehall. And experts at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers have now confirmed what we all suspected — we haven’t got a prayer of building the plants we need to avert potential calamity in just ten years.
stuart

Re: Flagging up quotes from "The Sun"?

Post by stuart »

Tim - I am at a loss to understand your point. The quote was explanatory enough in itself. The source was irrelevant - I answered it in exactly the same way as if it had come from any other newspaper or university research department.

That is different from points made at other times where it is difficult to ascertain what the point is. Then finding the source is needed to contribute usefully to the discussion.

Perhaps the admins might better apply their time to dealing with the 'whatabouttery' attempt to disrupt that thread. A method I thought you deplored.

Stuart :?
_HB

Post by _HB »

You can be real git some times Tim. News to me that it was from The Sun. I was sent the link on Twitter from a friend, and I then shared it on here. If you've got a problem with that then you need to get out more.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

_HB wrote:You can be real git some times Tim. News to me that it was from The Sun. I was sent the link on Twitter from a friend, and I then shared it on here. If you've got a problem with that then you need to get out more.
I thought you were just posting it as a mean trick to get a rise out of some old dinosaurs who wouldn't check where a story came from, and who think the only sort of real economic activity involves metal bashing - similar thinking to those, at the dawn of the industrial revolution, who thought all those factories couldn't last, and the only real wealth was in the soil.

Happy enough for you to think I'm a git from time to time; meanwhile I'll be thinking what is a suitable term for someone who blindly cuts and pastes something from the Murdoch press.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Ooops. On that note maybe we should adjourn to the Pub?

Stuart
_HB

Post by _HB »

Is carbon brief .org a Murdoch publication? I would be very surprised if it was.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »