Baby Massage?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
KM

Baby Massage?

Post by KM »

I'd like to take my baby to a baby massage group - anyone have any recommendations?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi there, my midwife holds baby massage classes in Dulwich, I've not been as my baby is not here yet! but would definitely be interested in attending as Verona's skills are superb as a midwife so I'm sure her post natal classes will be just as good. Here is the link to her details...
http://www.veronahall.co.uk/#/babymassage/4527487366
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

sorry, but what does a baby massage do? Why would you want to massage your baby? Does it help them sleep better or something?

(genuine question!)
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Well the benefits are supposed to be
• Relaxation for parents and babies
• Enhances the BOND between parent and baby
• Promotes better sleep for babies
• Assists with digestion and colic
• Boosts the immune system of the baby
• Provides relief for teething pains
• Helps to understand your baby's ways
• Helps to build confidence in handling of babies

Who knows, it's probably a 'faddy' thing but sounds nice :-)
KM

Baby Massage

Post by KM »

Thanks for the replies - I'll try the link.
Bensonby - I've heard loads of good things about baby massage from lots of mums - relaxation, bonding and of course meeting other mums with babies of similar ages, so am willing to give it a go. And if my baby cries less, then WOW!!!
Ta
mosy

Post by mosy »

I must confess that the idea sounded gross to me, remembering a TV prog where a presenter asked why a chicken breeder massaged his chickens: "Do they like that?" He asked dubiously. "Dunno, but it makes their flesh more tender." A bit Euuuh, I think you'll agree and hardly what you'd want for a baby, hoping to strengthen muscles.

I have come across stomach/intestine massage (of the old ways), which if done correctly, will help food travel along its intended path. Also, that when bathing, one should always massage each part towards the heart (rather than up and down movements if having a good scrub), starting with the biggest muscle first (glutes).

Still not sure I'd be happy for someone to be "messing about", nor myself if I didn't know what I was doing as it can/does affect blood flow - so for example, one has to keep the whole body sorted at the same time to avoid "hot spots".

Just my view, but perhaps not for the weak hearted, as it's someone else's body you/they are messing with.

Sorry, forgot to add, what's wrong with cuddling for bonding? Cuddles and hugs are timeless, for adults as well, though some dislike that. How can you know which side of a fence a baby falls?