Sainsbury's Bell Green

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chris 1961

Sainsbury's Bell Green

Post by chris 1961 »

I have noticed much bigger queues particularly at weekends - mainly since Argos, Specsavers etc opened instore, but not so much sparsely packed shelves as mentioned in the News Shopper:
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1695 ... y-shelves/

As for the rat's, although I have not seen them I have heard people quoting staff that have said there is a rat problem there.
Have also heard that the flats by Sports Direct have a serious rodent infestation that good old Lewisham Council are happily doing nothing about.
MagmaTimes

Re: Sainsbury's Bell Green

Post by MagmaTimes »

I see rats in the areas around Bell Green every time I'm down there, most predominantly in the patches of grass and foliage by the bus stops and around the big block of flats directly in front of the Sainsbury's car park. It's certainly been this way for a few years and am v. surprised nothing appears to have been done about it.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

The rats can be seen in and around the entire foliage/planting strip that forms the boundary to the car park.

And they are not of the small variety. Unfortunately there is an abundance of discarded food in and around bins and the surrounds.

However the ones resident in the gasometer site right up to the car park entrance road at the new proposed Aldi end are a breed apart.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

I was wondering what/if something is going on at Sainsbury's. There are often empty shelves (I usually go mid morning Saturday or Sunday), and about a month ago, someone had evidently just upended a box of herbs and spices onto the herb and spice shelf. A week later they were in the same state, and even this weekend were pretty messy (possibly again, rather than still. I don't know.) It feels like the range of food has been slightly reduced, and there often aren't as many tills open (even given their push towards self service check outs.) as are needed. Perhaps this is all just subjective, but to me there seems to be a very lacklustre feel to the place. Had they not clearly invested something in a recent refit and introduction of Argos, Specsavers and the Suschi bar (??!!) etc. I'd be fearing they were running down prior to a closure.
I am hoping this is a prelude to something better, but it doesn't look terribly professional.
John H

Post by John H »

RachelF wrote:I was wondering what/if something is going on at Sainsbury's. There are often empty shelves (I usually go mid morning Saturday or Sunday), and about a month ago, someone had evidently just upended a box of herbs and spices onto the herb and spice shelf. A week later they were in the same state, and even this weekend were pretty messy (possibly again, rather than still. I don't know.) It feels like the range of food has been slightly reduced, and there often aren't as many tills open (even given their push towards self service check outs.) as are needed. Perhaps this is all just subjective, but to me there seems to be a very lacklustre feel to the place. Had they not clearly invested something in a recent refit and introduction of Argos, Specsavers and the Suschi bar (??!!) etc. I'd be fearing they were running down prior to a closure.
I am hoping this is a prelude to something better, but it doesn't look terribly professional.
Just evidence of a thoroughly badly run company. Listen to the "Collick Announcements"... look at the reduction in the number of lines... the lack of everyday popular items on the shelves... the broken down equipment... the filthy store to the rear... the lighting that has been out of order in the bakery for months....

Sainsbury is "merging" with Asda. Promoted as a takeover of Asda by Sainsbury surely this is another instance of a large company being taken over by a smaller one. I would not buy shares in Sainsbury. HOWEVER... it is worth noting that Sydenham Sainsbury is not a typical store.... The Savacentre philosophy (job lots and cast outs) has remained in place. The decaying structure is, though, an indication Sainsbury do not have long term ambitiions for the site.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I've given up with the cafe, as you have to wait so long for the food, even when they are not busy. It's a shame as I used to eat there regularly.
And I definitely agree that the stocks of fruit and veg are really low in the late afternoon.
I've not seen rodents in the store, though I have seen them in the bushes by the main road and Sports Direct.

I went to the Penge Sainsburys last week around 5pm and there was hardly any bread , it looked like there had been panic buying.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Maybe it's a management thing - they are between managers? It's definitely got worse in the last few months. My mother's nearest one in Sheffield isn't like this.

Alas, it's not like there's much competition very locally,
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I occasionally use the Penge, CP and Bell Green sainos and they all frequently suffer from empty shelf syndrome and the BG and CP ones often have ridiculously long queues. As a company they seem to have lost the plot.
KifShawski

Post by KifShawski »

From an ex Sainsbury's employee I know, there was a restructure not so long ago and although streamlined, there is not enough senior team to manage the floor. Stock not replenished, not ordered, prep work not organised on counters / bakery. You would normally say to give it time to find their feet, but they wont be able to if it stays like this much longer. These tactics are used also when there are mergers and takeovers. Makes a place look more profitable than it actually is, though makes accomodating new staff easier later on. Asda in a similar boat with their new structure (I guess to marry with sainsburys). They have completely screwed up the online deliveries. So much so they had to bring in agency drivers to fulfil the demand... was a shambles.
alywin

Post by alywin »

From my own experience shopping at the Penge branch, I'm aware that fewer lines are being stocked: I find myself more and more frequently having to buy from Waitrose in Beckenham even for really basic things. Of course, part of this must be down to the loss of shelving space due to the introduction of Argos - and also, I think, in Penge's case to the introduction of more "ethnic" lines, shall we call them? I believe there has also been some sort of (nationwide?) shakeup as regards job roles and so on, but am not very sure just what this entails.

Also, it seems pretty clear that there has recently been quite a problem with the supply (production?) of soft drinks, with shelves being very bare - and this isn't only at Sainsbury's.
noangel

Post by noangel »

I was at the BG Sainsbury's last night, at 6pm, after work to do a decent shop. The fresh produce section was almost barren. Since I couldn't get all the ingredients I needed to cook dinner, I decided to get a pizza from the deli instead. There was only a few expensive Taste the Difference pizzas left. The deli counters were closing up for the day. Couldn't even get the shampoo I usually use because that was out of stock. Brought a bottle of wine for dinner instead, wine was in abundance :lol:

This was 6pm, the store closes at 11pm!! You can't tell me that all the OAPs and after-school shoppers cleared the shelves during the day.

It's got steadily worse over the past year. It never use to be difficult to find items in stock in the evening or weekends. I also shop at the Forest Sainsbury's and never have a problem finding what I need. Which is where I am heading now to get the items I couldn't get last night.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Re stock:
I have also noticed empty shelves and reduced choice at Sainsburys but had been wondering if I was imagining things.

Re rats:
I always spot them when I am walking near the flats and yes they are huge; rats on steroids!
John H

Post by John H »

Saturday evening, teatime. Nothing on the shelves. Bakery empty. Staff with bad attitude.

Wow! Surely this store's days are numbered?
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

On the rodent issue, I have seen a few over by the petrol station - I think they enjoy the water around the car wash and the drains flowing down to the Pool river. I have never seen one anywhere near the store however, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they are around and about
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Bell Green Sainsbury's seems to have a lot of space now the magazines have been moved so lack of it can't be an issue. I do hope it's not going to turn into an Asda...
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Just spotted this on the BBC site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45977660

So that's what the empty space is for...? Oasis. Hmm (Would rather have food.)
sophie

Post by sophie »

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of people begging outside Sainsburys? Every time I go at the moment I am also approached in the car park by people asking for money. It is a little disconcerting at times, especially when it’s dark.
parker

Post by parker »

RachelF wrote: 25 Oct 2018 15:32 Just spotted this on the BBC site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45977660

So that's what the empty space is for...? Oasis. Hmm (Would rather have food.)
Oasis is already there, and has been for a long while now, it’s along the wall and before you get to the empty space in the corner. Also, isn’t there enough food in that store already!

I think there should be a Starbucks on the right as you walk in and they should make the windows visible again.
RJM

Post by RJM »

I don't think they'll put in a Starbucks when they have their own cafe (and I hate the coffee in Starbucks, so would prefer a different chain anyway) but definitely agree on the windows!

I've noticed that too Sophie, it is a bit disconcerting - especially if you're on your own at night. But there's been a huge increase generally, so it's not Sainsbury's specific sadly.