Masks

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Cathy
Posts: 119
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 11:20
Location: SE26

Re: Masks

Post by Cathy »

14Monty - What I was actually trying to point out is that people within the BAME community are more likely to contract this nasty, vile virus and I was surprised that they were not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones. Nothing racist about my comment whatsoever. :roll:
chrisj1948
Posts: 519
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 15:12
Location: Sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by chrisj1948 »

Cathy wrote: 26 Jul 2020 01:41 not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
Robin Orton
Posts: 3303
Joined: 9 Sep 2008 07:30
Location: London SE26

Re: Masks

Post by Robin Orton »

I suspect willingness to wear a mask is related to age, gender, class and level of education (a bit like views on Brexit), rather than to ethnicity.
Parker1970
Posts: 435
Joined: 4 Nov 2014 22:36
Location: Kirkdale

Re: Masks

Post by Parker1970 »

chrisj1948 wrote: 26 Jul 2020 06:04
Cathy wrote: 26 Jul 2020 01:41 not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
As far as I am concerned, even if it increases protection for the wearer or for others by even 0.1% it's still worth it. Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it quickly and every little helps. It's just common sense to wear one in public, all this nonsense that we see (mostly) in the US about it breaching rights is just that.. nonsense.. rights should not come into it, everyone should WANT to be doing what they can to reduce the impact where they can.
Last edited by Parker1970 on 27 Jul 2020 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

Hi all, it’s great to know that people are taking mask wearing seriously as 123 people died in England yesterday. The rest of the uk had no deaths so it’s clear something is seriously wrong here. I am still in lockdown nothing this govt has done has given me confidence to change my behaviour.
alywin
Posts: 792
Joined: 27 Aug 2009 12:33
Location: Penge side of Sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by alywin »

chrisj1948 wrote: 26 Jul 2020 06:04 Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
Maybe, maybe not. But given that there are increasing indications that how badly you end up suffering from Covid-19 tends to depend on how much viral load you initially get, surely it's better for me, if I walk through the Covid-containing aerosol which someone else has breathed out, if as many of those particles as possible land on the fabric of my mask rather than ending up directly in my mouth and nose? That way, they may not get breathed in in the first place.
Mayowthorpe
Posts: 111
Joined: 30 Jul 2014 07:16
Location: Sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Robin Orton wrote: 26 Jul 2020 11:57 I suspect willingness to wear a mask is related to age, gender, class and level of education (a bit like views on Brexit), rather than to ethnicity.
Yeah, all those uneducated Remainers are now walking around without masks. The selfishness of them!
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

alywin wrote: 30 Jul 2020 00:23
chrisj1948 wrote: 26 Jul 2020 06:04 Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
Maybe, maybe not. But given that there are increasing indications that how badly you end up suffering from Covid-19 tends to depend on how much viral load you initially get, surely it's better for me, if I walk through the Covid-containing aerosol which someone else has breathed out, if as many of those particles as possible land on the fabric of my mask rather than ending up directly in my mouth and nose? That way, they may not get breathed in in the first place.
Yep and 3 layer minimum preferably mix fabrics. Covid has been played down from the beginn8ng as just the flu when it’s more like airborne HIV
witchesrave
Posts: 6
Joined: 17 Sep 2018 09:54
Location: London

Re: Masks

Post by witchesrave »

syd wrote: 30 Jul 2020 13:18
alywin wrote: 30 Jul 2020 00:23
chrisj1948 wrote: 26 Jul 2020 06:04 Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
Maybe, maybe not. But given that there are increasing indications that how badly you end up suffering from Covid-19 tends to depend on how much viral load you initially get, surely it's better for me, if I walk through the Covid-containing aerosol which someone else has breathed out, if as many of those particles as possible land on the fabric of my mask rather than ending up directly in my mouth and nose? That way, they may not get breathed in in the first place.
Yep and 3 layer minimum preferably mix fabrics. Covid has been played down from the beginn8ng as just the flu when it’s more like airborne HIV
This is a woefully inaccurate and wildly ignorant thing to say. COVID is horrible yes, but please don’t compare it to HIV/AIDS.
chrisj1948
Posts: 519
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 15:12
Location: Sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by chrisj1948 »

I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

chrisj1948 wrote: 31 Jul 2020 10:39 I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris
Complacency has set In
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

syd wrote: 31 Jul 2020 17:43
chrisj1948 wrote: 31 Jul 2020 10:39 I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris
Complacency has set In
So my neighbours are having a massive garden party is this allowed now?
f4monty
Posts: 35
Joined: 2 Aug 2015 18:27
Location: Sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by f4monty »

syd wrote: 8 Aug 2020 15:12
syd wrote: 31 Jul 2020 17:43
chrisj1948 wrote: 31 Jul 2020 10:39 I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris
Complacency has set In
So my neighbours are having a massive garden party is this allowed now?
Current guidelines state:

It remains the case that you should not:
  • socialise indoors in groups of more than two households (anyone in your support bubble counts as one household) – this includes when dining out or going to the pub
    socialise outdoors in a group of more than six people from different households; gatherings larger than six should only take place if everyone is from exclusively from two households or support bubbles
    interact socially with anyone outside the group you are attending a place with, even if you see other people you know, for example, in a restaurant, community centre or place of worship
    hold or attend celebrations (such as parties) where it is difficult to maintain social distancing and avoid close social interaction – even if they are organised by businesses and venues that are taking steps to follow COVID-19 Secure guidelines
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

Thanks for the info Monty. I’ll call the police next time
Robin Orton
Posts: 3303
Joined: 9 Sep 2008 07:30
Location: London SE26

Re: Masks

Post by Robin Orton »

I was on a bus today, and was surprised to hear that the recorded message told us not to stand, to sit next to the window and to maintain social distancing, but didn't mention wearing masks.

It was a 122, by the way. We'd been to Crystal Palace to see 'Tenet'. More or less incomprehensible, even, I was told, by people whose hearing is a lot more acute than mine.
Last edited by Robin Orton on 12 Sep 2020 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Clovers
Posts: 11
Joined: 27 Oct 2019 08:14

Re: Masks

Post by Clovers »

It varies wildly; sometimes there are people on the bus that for some reason have their masks around their chin... which defeats the purpose.

There will be people who are exempt (age, health or disability reason, https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-covering) and it won't be obvious to those who don't fall into these categories.
mosy
Posts: 4063
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: Masks

Post by mosy »

Yes Robin Orton, it does seem odd that a recorded message would not implore or remind people to wear their masks over nose and mouth for the duration of their journey on a bus where distancing is impossible at times.

At one time and generally, we were told not to touch masks once in place or risk transferring the virus collected on them to our hands, which seems to have gone by the board since it was confirmed that masks only defended others against wearer droplets, hence presumably disengagement of masks as no-one believes that they themselves have the virus, well until symptoms present.
syd
Posts: 340
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 18:30
Location: lower sydenham

Re: Masks

Post by syd »

mosy wrote: 12 Sep 2020 18:47 Yes Robin Orton, it does seem odd that a recorded message would not implore or remind people to wear their masks over nose and mouth for the duration of their journey on a bus where distancing is impossible at times.

At one time and generally, we were told not to touch masks once in place or risk transferring the virus collected on them to our hands, which seems to have gone by the board since it was confirmed that masks only defended others against wearer droplets, hence presumably disengagement of masks as no-one believes that they themselves have the virus, well until symptoms present.
I got this from Harvard medical school, masks seem to protect both
Who do masks protect: the wearer, others, or both?

We've known for some time that masks help prevent people from spreading the coronavirus to others. Based on an analysis of existing information, a new study contends that masks may also protect mask wearers from becoming infected themselves.

Different masks, writes the study author, block viral particles to varying degrees. If masks lead to lower "doses" of virus being inhaled, then fewer people may become infected, and those who do may have milder illness.

Researchers in China experimented with hamsters to test the effect of masks. They put healthy hamsters and hamsters infected with SARS-CoV-2 (the COVID-19 coronavirus) in a cage, and separated some of the healthy and infected hamsters with a barrier made of surgical masks. Many of the "masked" healthy hamsters did not get infected, and those who did got less sick than previously healthy "maskless" hamsters.

A similar experiment cannot ethically be done in humans. But researchers have studied doses of flu virus and found that people who inhaled a higher dose of flu virus were more likely to get sick and experience symptoms. Observations of coronavirus outbreaks in processing plants and on cruise ships also support the idea that masks may help protect mask wearers.

Without more research, we can't be certain that masks protect the wearer. But we do know they don't hurt, and that they protect others.
mosy
Posts: 4063
Joined: 21 Sep 2007 20:28
Location: London

Re: Masks

Post by mosy »

Syd, what is new about that study's findings please? What date was it published?

It's been known for ages that typical blue masks will keep out the virus to about 60% as do double layer home-made cotton masks, that inhaling fewer droplets usually leads to milder symptoms, and that being in contact with the virus for a shorter period (presumably less bombardment) is better, hence sustained engagement with others is not recommended. Don't, or shouldn't, people know all that already? So what's new in the Harvard report please?
Nigel
Posts: 2410
Joined: 22 May 2005 16:12
Location: Laurie Park

Re: Masks

Post by Nigel »

I think Cathy was stating simple fact and I have observed the same thing almost every time I go to Sainsbury in Penge. To call it racist (and by implication the person speaking those words) shows either a kind of hatred for others and their right to voice opinions, or a quite low intelligence.

It is hilarious hearing people say in effect that they believe in "the science" (i.e. not what politicians tell us) but only if it supports a unicorn type vision of equality .

No facts were hurt in the making of this post.
Post Reply